Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Welder needed for new spring perches

Old 04-21-2015, 03:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Welder needed for new spring perches

I'm going to install the Rock Krawler rear control arms that push the axle back and I want to install new Arctec spring perches rather than use correction wedges. Anyone in the socal area have welding skills and interested in helping a jeeper out? Beers on me and I'll buy consumables.

Last edited by scott in LA; 04-21-2015 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:46 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just don't add the inch to the rear. Then you can avoid all the associated problems. There is no logic to the 1" stretch.
Old 04-21-2015, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Not really trying to start a debate here but there are reasons to go with a stretch. That's why they make them and that's why they make spring correction wedges. I would rather spend $70 on the perches than $30 on wedges. When I get my 37's the longer lower ca's will center my rear tire in the well and prevent me from having to cut the pinch seam and the uppers will restore my pinion angle.

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
Just don't add the inch to the rear. Then you can avoid all the associated problems. There is no logic to the 1" stretch.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

What other problems might you be refering to?

Old 04-21-2015, 05:38 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by scott in LA
Not really trying to start a debate here but there are reasons to go with a stretch. That's why they make them and that's why they make spring correction wedges. I would rather spend $70 on the perches than $30 on wedges. When I get my 37's the longer lower ca's will center my rear tire in the well and prevent me from having to cut the pinch seam and the uppers will restore my pinion angle.
It's all geometry. The higher the lift, the further you are in the arc and therefore the more your rear axle is moved forward. However, you still travel the same arc. So, what happens at compression? Your axle is an inch further back that stock. How does that work for the track bar?

It's marketing, that's why they do it. You bought it, right? Spent the $$ for the expensive kit? If it makes sense, ever wonder why all the other manufacturers don't offer the same thing? I mean, it wouldn't cost them more to make it.

The inch does not provide anything but a slightly altered visual appearance. It does however, warrant new coil perches and often times, track bar relocations on the frame.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

It's all geometry. The higher the lift, the further you are in the arc and therefore the more your rear axle is moved forward. However, you still travel the same arc. So, what happens at compression? Your axle is an inch further back that stock. How does that work for the track bar?

It's marketing, that's why they do it. You bought it, right? Spent the $$ for the expensive kit? If it makes sense, ever wonder why all the other manufacturers don't offer the same thing? I mean, it wouldn't cost them more to make it.

The inch does not provide anything but a slightly altered visual appearance. It does however, warrant new coil perches and often times, track bar relocations on the frame.
I got the ca's used. I have a frankenlift that I have been researching and customizing for a couple years now. I don't have 50K to drop on D60's, 1 ton axles and custom long arm/3 link setups like you did but obviously it's made you an expert. I do understand geometry however and the arctec perches move the spring forward an inch to prevent trackbar rub. As far as your marketing claim you have to do quite a bit of research on that kit before you even know about the longer arms so they don't do it for marketing purposes. As I stated in my earlier response the inch does recenter your axle in the well so it's more than visual appearance.

Now that I'm done with the troll anyone want to weld on a rear 44?
Old 04-21-2015, 06:16 PM
JK Junkie

You must be fun at parties.

Btw, the trackbar problem doesnt involve hitting the springs, but the frame side mount hitting your new coil perches unless you run a ton of bumpstop. This will than require a trackbar relocation bracket of some sort. Ask me how I know.

Last edited by D_engel; 04-21-2015 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:21 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by scott in LA
I got the ca's used. I have a frankenlift that I have been researching and customizing for a couple years now. I don't have 50K to drop on D60's, 1 ton axles and custom long arm/3 link setups like you did but obviously it's made you an expert. I do understand geometry however and the arctec perches move the spring forward an inch to prevent trackbar rub. As far as your marketing claim you have to do quite a bit of research on that kit before you even know about the longer arms so they don't do it for marketing purposes. As I stated in my earlier response the inch does recenter your axle in the well so it's more than visual appearance. Now that I'm done with the troll anyone want to weld on a rear 44?
You have no idea what you're talking about, but you know that.

I didn't drop $50k. I did the work myself - including picking up a welding torch and doing my own fab work. But you are probably used to having everything done for you and not having to learn something new, which explains your total lack of knowledge regarding suspension.

Pull up your skirt and take a class on welding and then weld on your own valueless suspension upgrades.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:29 PM
JK Freak

No need to get angry but Invest is right. There is no need to “stretch” your unlimited 1” just to center your wheels. If you’re not running an aftermarket driveshaft you don’t need rear arms on a JKU. I run stock arms in the rear and I have never needed new arms. Everyone I wheel with is surprised that the jeep flexes the way it does considering I am running stock rear arms but it’s all about your shocks, bumpstops and coils. The whole “mid-arm” thing is just another marketing term just like the 1” stretch.

I personally don’t think getting new perches welded on is worth the hassle. But see if there are mobile welders in your area, you could do the prep work yourself and just get the guy to show up at your place. Good luck.
Old 04-21-2015, 06:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Joe_B
No need to get angry but Invest is right. There is no need to “stretch” your unlimited 1” just to center your wheels. If you’re not running an aftermarket driveshaft you don’t need rear arms on a JKU. I run stock arms in the rear and I have never needed new arms. Everyone I wheel with is surprised that the jeep flexes the way it does considering I am running stock rear arms but it’s all about your shocks, bumpstops and coils. The whole “mid-arm” thing is just another marketing term just like the 1” stretch.

I personally don’t think getting new perches welded on is worth the hassle. But see if there are mobile welders in your area, you could do the prep work yourself and just get the guy to show up at your place. Good luck.
Thanks Joe,

I'm not angry just annoyed. I was asking for a little help and recieved a bunch of opinions. I have a fabricator close by who will do it for $80 but I just wanted to see if anyone here was interested in helping out. The main reason I want the stretch is to run 37's with a 3" lift and I am going to get an aftermarket shaft.

Here's what I'm going for.

WAYALIFE Jeep Forum : More than just a Jeep - It's a way of life!

Quick Reply: Welder needed for new spring perches