Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

weird uneven tire wear

Old 01-25-2010, 05:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rotate your tires every 3000 miles.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:07 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by captjay
to be honest i couldnt tell you the milage i rotate at. i know i know dumb on my part. just kinda when i feel like it which isnt as much as i should. i will rotate this week. so what causes cupping? is it really from lack of rotation?
What you have is called tire scallop, not cupping. Cupping is cause by an overly out of balance condition and is extremely rare for modern radial belted tires. It is almost non existant anymore. Tire scallop is caused by the normal condition of tires being on the front too long (lack of rotation), or the abnormal condition of too much or too little toe. I never have figured out why people spend thousands of dollars on tires and not maintained them properly. Must have lots more money than I.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto to Redneck.

When I 1st got my JK, didn't realize how important the frequent rotation was.

Then the "scalloping" happened to me, rotated them and a few hundred miles later, gone!! Now rotate much more freuquently and no problems.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
What you have is called tire scallop, not cupping. Cupping is cause by an overly out of balance condition and is extremely rare for modern radial belted tires. It is almost non existant anymore. Tire scallop is caused by the normal condition of tires being on the front too long (lack of rotation), or the abnormal condition of too much or too little toe. I never have figured out why people spend thousands of dollars on tires and not maintained them properly. Must have lots more money than I.
i 2nd that well stated as usual
Old 01-25-2010, 08:16 AM
JK Junkie

Yeah I ruined a set of tires back in the day by not rotating.. now I rotate every 5000kms like clockwork
Old 01-25-2010, 09:34 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
thanks dude, i will rotate this week and see how it goes
Old 01-25-2010, 10:51 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by captjay
thanks dude, i will rotate this week and see how it goes
Seems odd only one front tire is doing it, usually it would be both front tires due to lack of rotation. After you rotate get it on one of those fancy alignment machines and see where you at along with a tire balance.jmo.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:18 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mkjeep
Seems odd only one front tire is doing it, usually it would be both front tires due to lack of rotation. After you rotate get it on one of those fancy alignment machines and see where you at along with a tire balance.jmo.
im already ahead of ya. i took it in today, getting it rotated later this week and they are going to check the alignment also. my tires are directional and im going to take off that bad wear tire and rotate that to spare but my current spare has to be taken off rim, flipped around, remounted and rebalanced to get the directional tread correct to use on passenger side.

i checked the shock today and good to go on that. i think the reason im not seeing the same wear pattern on driver side is the dr side has a slight slant to it. its lookin like the axle c is bent just a tad.

i had purchased the gussets from evo when i got the lift done, and my guy didnt like them and said they would not work wth my lift. i dont know what happened, he supposedly sent them bac to evo and evo was suppose to take care of it. my guy never said anything else about it so in turn i never had gussets welded in.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:37 PM
JK Super Freak

To me it aounds like a bad front shock just as stated earlier. Have someone drive on that side and see if it just seems like its skipping down the road. I mean someone in another vehical...lol...good luck
Old 01-25-2010, 05:49 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by azrwilkinson
To me it aounds like a bad front shock just as stated earlier. Have someone drive on that side and see if it just seems like its skipping down the road. I mean someone in another vehical...lol...good luck
hahaha i got what u were sayin

but i checked the shock and all is good.

Quick Reply: weird uneven tire wear