Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Weird noises after lift and tires?

Old 05-03-2008, 01:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird noises after lift and tires?

I had a 4" Superlift installed a couple weeks back, and last Friday, I had my 37" KM2's installed. Tonight, as I was driving, I noticed a weird noise/jerk when I was coasting/slowing down. If I apply gas or brake it stops. It has gotten worse as I've driven it tonight. I'm thinking it's a driveshaft issue, but it's too late and raining for me to actually check it out. Any other ideas?
Old 05-03-2008, 01:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just a guess but did you have the brake calipers loose for anything? Sounds like maybe one of the calipers may be loose and when you touch the brakes they tighten up from the pressure on the pads. Just a guess though. Could be alot of things. Make sure your wheels are tight. Then start checking all your suspension stuff.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:33 PM
JK Newbie

Try pushing down on the front bumper, and see if you can reproduce the sound. I spent last weekend diagnosing a similar problem.

I was was very concerned I had broken something after a somewhat random squeak/clunk/creaking appeared. I suspected the adjustable track bar even though I knew it was tight. I was right...it turned out to be the upper front trackbar mount.
When I removed/inspected the track bar, I saw that that the bushings were not flat because the welds were causing the bushing to bow (sorry no pic). Didnt notice when I installed it. Anyway, because the bushing wasnt flat, it made a noise every time the front ride height of the jeep adjusted. A touch on the bench sander took care of it...no more squeaks!

Similarly, it might be the sway bar bushings...I put some mystic jelly (hi temp lube) on mine...havent made time to zerk-fit them.

HTH.

Last edited by aero_instability; 05-04-2008 at 08:38 PM.
Old 06-04-2008, 06:58 PM
JK Freak

could you get some pics of that
i think i have the same problem, i just walked outsidce and pushed on my front bumper. same nosie thingy. not really sure what you did before sanding
Old 06-04-2008, 07:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by brando13
I had a 4" Superlift installed a couple weeks back, and last Friday, I had my 37" KM2's installed. Tonight, as I was driving, I noticed a weird noise/jerk when I was coasting/slowing down. If I apply gas or brake it stops. It has gotten worse as I've driven it tonight. I'm thinking it's a driveshaft issue, but it's too late and raining for me to actually check it out. Any other ideas?
When you are how ever did the lift the drive shafts were corrected wernt they?
If they were then go under and make sure everything that was changed or loosen is tight to spec.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:46 PM
JK Newbie

Just installed a AEV 2.5 lift on a 2013 Moab. Rides great on the road and handles great. After two weeks started getting a squeaking noise when stopping. Any suggesting out there.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by pentagon
Just installed a AEV 2.5 lift on a 2013 Moab. Rides great on the road and handles great. After two weeks started getting a squeaking noise when stopping. Any suggesting out there.
Re torque every bolt, it's pretty common to do this after a lift install. I'm sure it's even stated in the instructions, most likely something just loosened up.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^2 just installed my lift about a week ago bolts tend to loosen up. Check every bolt.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:50 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Tripletsi
Re torque every bolt, it's pretty common to do this after a lift install. I'm sure it's even stated in the instructions, most likely something just loosened up.
Re torque work each bolt. Noise is gone. Thanks

Now it is time to start shopping for tire's.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:51 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeep_pride
^2 just installed my lift about a week ago bolts tend to loosen up. Check every bolt.
Thanks that worked.

Quick Reply: Weird noises after lift and tires?