Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Weight and stock coils

Old 06-30-2015, 09:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weight and stock coils

I just ordered a JCR Dagger front bumper (64lbs) and an Engo Winch (also 64lbs) to replace stock bumpers on my Sport X. I'm running a 2.5" BB from Rough Country (previous owner). How much sag will I be looking at? Wondering if I should install the winch when I do a suspension upgrade which will happen after I regear. Thanks
Old 06-30-2015, 10:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

It really depends on what spring numbers you have. (the last two digits of the part numbers for the springs front and back). the fronts should end somewhere between 14 and 19. The rears should end in something between 56 and 61. I originally had 14/56 ( I think), and when I installed my first aftermarket bumper about 90 lbs. (since replaced with a different bumper and a winch), I lost about 3/4 to 1 inch.

My current set up I have an OR-FAB full width bumper that I think is around 100 lbs, and a Warn VR10,000 winch that I think they said is 94 lbs. I replaced the stock springs with heavier stock springs from a 4-door (front spring numbers ending in 18), and I am at about stock height.

Hope this helps.

Happy Jeeping!
Old 06-30-2015, 10:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Just checked mine, they're 13/55. So my best bet is to hold off on the winch until I get different springs. I'm running the BB, would I be better off just getting some 2.5" coils. I was planning on regearing and some other things before dumping money into the suspension
Old 06-30-2015, 10:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 63 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by CarpenterJK07
Just checked mine, they're 13/55. So my best bet is to hold off on the winch until I get different springs. I'm running the BB, would I be better off just getting some 2.5" coils. I was planning on regearing and some other things before dumping money into the suspension
I'll start with the caveat that I am by no means an expert. I would say, if you are happy with the current performance of the budget boost, you might look into just getting some higher number stock springs, until you make the decision on moving to a full lift. 4-door springs are an easy swap with simple tools, some jack stands and a floor jack, and they can be had for very cheep, or sometimes even free (check with local shops that do lifts, sometimes they have sets just lying around. I got mine from a guy on Facebook for $40). I went up to 18's in the front and got my height back.

That way you could mount your winch, and then make the move to a lift later on. I'm sure plenty of others will chime in soon, but that would be my suggestion. If you do decide to go that route, and have any questions, let me know. It really is very easy to do if you or a friend have the jack and stands.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tjkamp
I'll start with the caveat that I am by no means an expert. I would say, if you are happy with the current performance of the budget boost, you might look into just getting some higher number stock springs, until you make the decision on moving to a full lift. 4-door springs are an easy swap with simple tools, some jack stands and a floor jack, and they can be had for very cheep, or sometimes even free (check with local shops that do lifts, sometimes they have sets just lying around. I got mine from a guy on Facebook for $40). I went up to 18's in the front and got my height back.

That way you could mount your winch, and then make the move to a lift later on. I'm sure plenty of others will chime in soon, but that would be my suggestion. If you do decide to go that route, and have any questions, let me know. It really is very easy to do if you or a friend have the jack and stands.
In the long run I do plan on a complete suspension and 35s but I want to worry about regearing and some other things first instead of tossing a butt ton of cash into a new lift and have stock gears and 33s. So i believe less than 100 bucks on 4dr springs would be cost effective for now. Thanks for the advice
Old 06-30-2015, 01:14 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

To get the best idea of what that weight will look like with your jeep as it sits now, have family go stand on your bumper- around 120lbs worth. Then you'll know exactly how your coils will look with the weight.

I've been in your shoes before trying to figure out coil numbers, weight, which bumper, sag, lift.....etc. Putting real weight on your own coils will give you a better feel than any advice you get on the net.

Those new take-off coils you'll get will look higher initially but they too will sag some after a week......again- been there, done that. I've now lightened my load and I'm looking for coils designed for weight so sag will no longer be an issue.

Quick Reply: Weight and stock coils