Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Weight Gain- help pls

Old 12-28-2013, 10:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weight Gain- help pls

I have a stock Sahara 2012- DD- and finally I am looking to do some mods. Here is what I am thinking of doing but I know it will add weight. Do I need to do something to counter the 600lbs I am adding on? All feedback is welcome! Thanks!

Adding-

Garvin exped rack
Hard rock full front bumper
Hard rock full rear bumper with tire swing
Smitty winch 8c
Viair 2.5 gal

Like I said, feedback is welcome... Additional info- DD vehicle unlimited, short commute, looking to Offroad more in SoCal enviro, camp a lot...
Old 12-28-2013, 10:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lighter bumpers.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:25 PM
JK Super Freak

I wouldn't worry. All in all, that's not a ton of weight. You could save some by doing the Tera hinge or OR-FAB tire carrier instead of the full bumper. Just don't do a spacer lift with stock springs, get good springs.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:00 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys. I haven't posted a lot on this forum but I have been coming here for years trying to learn and absorbing stuff just from reading. I value the opinions of the guys here immensely- especially when facing off with a sales person on the other side of the counter!

After I put this stuff on the top of my jeep, I plan on doing some stuff to the underside. I just wasn't sure if putting the rack and new bumpers, etc was really going to alter my drive in the meantime.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:18 AM
Former Vendor

What size tires are you running? What type of wheeling do you do? I am not saying you NEED to do anything but I would look at some cheap insurance like adding c-gussets and possibly trussing the front axle. Again not a need, but more of a piece of mind.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:13 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TOTL Innovations
What size tires are you running? What type of wheeling do you do? I am not saying you NEED to do anything but I would look at some cheap insurance like adding c-gussets and possibly trussing the front axle. Again not a need, but more of a piece of mind.
Really? Trussing the front axle because of weight that amounts to 3 people?
Old 12-30-2013, 07:19 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 4W-Jive

Really? Trussing the front axle because of weight that amounts to 3 people?
I think totl was just saying for piece of mind
Former Vendor

Hence why I asked what tires he is running and the type of wheeling he does. Its a sahara so D30 up front...and like I said its not mandatory - just cheap insurance

Also and this is just an assumption but if he is putting a roof rack on, he might actually be carrying alot more weight with whatever he is packing.

Last edited by TOTL Innovations; 12-30-2013 at 07:22 AM.
JK Newbie

If your looking into bigger tires in the future and a lift really consider looking at how heavy the tires and rims are big difference between the stock tires and rims and a 125lb+ tire hanging in the back of your jeep. Looks cool but adds alot of weight and winches also add a tone of weight to the front.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jkbro510
If your looking into bigger tires in the future and a lift really consider looking at how heavy the tires and rims are big difference between the stock tires and rims and a 125lb+ tire hanging in the back of your jeep. Looks cool but adds alot of weight and winches also add a tone of weight to the front.
Tires and wheels are unsprung weight, don't sag springs (except the spare). The winch he listed I think is comp which is synth so say 65 lbs.

Quick Reply: Weight Gain- help pls