Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

The Weak Link?

Old 11-09-2011, 03:53 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Weak Link?

While wheeling on Sunday I hit a tree with my left front tire which knocked my steering wheel off center. Drove home with the ESP/BAS and skidding car symbol all lit up. On Monday I got underneath and re-centered the steering wheel and 25 miles later the ESP/BAS and skidding car symbol turned off. I also inspected for any bent steering components, nothing obvious found. Got it up to 80 mph and rides straight as an arrow, no shake, no shimmy, no death wobble.

I’ve seen many posts of guys bending drag links and tie rods. When I got home Sunday night I went online and started shopping for a beefed up drag link and tie rod. Then I got to thinking, obviously the weak links are the drag link and tie rod, if I beef those up what becomes the next weak link? Would it be cheaper to re-center the steering wheel and possibly replace the drag link and/or tie rod or deal with whatever damage might be caused by the next weak link? Thoughts and ideas please.

Last edited by Tiburon; 11-09-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ECHO
you have my head spinning on this one... you are right.. you could spend yours & your Jeeps life chasing weak links.. I am looking into this area as well.. I want to get the under armor and axles protected to prevent damage.. but; there will always be areas that are more vulnerable and as you grow in confindence and wheel harder.. the cycle just continues.. Until you go bankrupt or Die
I already have JKS adjustable track bars, which are much beefier than the oem ones, hence why they are not on my list of weak links. Right now, my train of thought is, better to leave the oem components alone and deal with them if they get damaged, which might be cheaper than what damage can be caused by pushing the weak link up.

Last edited by Tiburon; 11-09-2011 at 04:51 PM.

Quick Reply: The Weak Link?