Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Ways to truly increase engine power or is the jk pentastar just that good?

Old 10-25-2013, 12:42 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Our recently released 3.6L Pentastar System will add 130+ WHP (Wheel Horse Power) and 120+ WTQ. These increases were measured on 37" tires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOFwGsFDRlM We tell all potential customers to re-gear first, and then if you still feel it is lacking, give us a call.

RIPP
Old 10-25-2013, 12:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPPMODS
Our recently released 3.6L Pentastar System will add 130+ WHP (Wheel Horse Power) and 120+ WTQ. These increases were measured on 37" tires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOFwGsFDRlM We tell all potential customers to re-gear first, and then if you still feel it is lacking, give us a call.

RIPP
I would definitely do it, but $5500 is hard to come by! :(

Now, if you're looking to sponsor my build, we could talk... LOL
Old 10-25-2013, 01:09 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by palehorse
I would definitely do it, but $5500 is hard to come by! :(

Now, if you're looking to sponsor my build, we could talk... LOL
Completely understood. If you have larger tires, and have not re-geared yet. Definitely re-gear to the tire you are running/plan to run. See if that wakes it up enough.

RIPP
Old 10-25-2013, 01:25 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TheEngineer13
Are you still under warranty? I know some of the 12s had head issues. If you are take it back to the dealer. If you've got a bad motor and you put a SC on it you will do more harm than help.

Head has already been fixed. No change in power there, just no more random Check Engine lights. And yeah it's still under warranty. I may go into the dealership and ask them if there would be any reason my Pentastar seems underpowered. I don't expect them to do much, but it's worth a try while it's still under warranty.

As for supercharging, I would definitely make sure my engine doesn't have issues before investing in one. You bring up a good point, there could be adverse effects from force induction on an engine that has a fault.

Sorry for the thread jack, but thanks to all those who responded. That's what I love about the Jeep community, we stand together despite not really knowing each other or even being local to one another. I don't think I've ever seen a Mazda pull over for a Mazda on the side of the road, or seen two Hondas wave at each other on the highway.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by B 1000
Head has already been fixed. No change in power there, just no more random Check Engine lights. And yeah it's still under warranty. I may go into the dealership and ask them if there would be any reason my Pentastar seems underpowered. I don't expect them to do much, but it's worth a try while it's still under warranty. As for supercharging, I would definitely make sure my engine doesn't have issues before investing in one. You bring up a good point, there could be adverse effects from force induction on an engine that has a fault. Sorry for the thread jack, but thanks to all those who responded. That's what I love about the Jeep community, we stand together despite not really knowing each other or even being local to one another. I don't think I've ever seen a Mazda pull over for a Mazda on the side of the road, or seen two Hondas wave at each other on the highway.
np man i like to hear what anyone has to say. Learned a little. Jeep on my friends
Old 01-19-2014, 05:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

This thread is probably dead but my conclusion is mayyybe a super charger would be cool, but your best off just doing an ls swap if you do it yourself. Who in the right mind would pay to have an engine swap done when it would cost at least 50% of the original jeep cost. Very dumb in my opinion. And oh yea, wouldnt even consider a hemi, LS FTW.
Old 01-19-2014, 07:20 AM
JSS
Former Vendor

Default LS/HEMI in a JK

We have a used RIPP super charger for a 2012 Jeep JK for sale ($3500) only has 500 hundred miles on it. The customer with the super charger went with a 6.4L super charger Hemi.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:56 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by palehorse
1. Lower gears, gears, gears... and GEARS!
2. Off-road cat-back exhaust to primarily improve clearance, but also improve sound and MAYBE a very slight performance increase... maybe.
3. Tuner for a VERY slight performance increase, modifying shift points (auto), and reprogramming for fear and tire changes.
4. Did I already mention gears?

And, if you're really wealthy, and/or really desperate to beat rice-burners at stoplights, add the RIPP SC for a ridiculous amount of added hp and torque. (The added torque being the key off-road benefit)

Seriously, though, the Pemtastar is a pretty decent V6 right out of the factory, so most of the above isn't necessary to really tear up the trails and rocks...
X2...I went with 4:56 gears in my 2013 JK (auto) on 35's and I love it. I've got the Superchips Flashpaq and plan to add an AFE stage 2 CAI next. We just installed one of these on my friends's 2013 JKU (manual), also on 35's. He noticed a difference right away; not significant, but it's something. I took him off the line and left him in the dust, now he wants gears...Also, he's added 1 mpg. If money is an issue, the biggest bang for your buck in terms of on and off road performance is lower gears. There's plenty here on the forum covering gears.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:11 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mikestoick
I just thought id throw this out there and keep in mind that I am no ceritified mechanic and basically a newbie jeeper. So my question is? Are there anyways to practically increase hp, torque or engine "power" on a 3.6 pentastar. It seems to be that air filters, exhaust systems and chips are basically shams plagued with issues for jks and jkus and a 5grand supercharger seems very unpractical for most of us (with its own pitfalls of course.) It seems that the meager 3.6 v6 in modern jeeps would be too little for some trails and for those looking for a bit more pep ob the roads... In my opinion it seems at least on the rubi a v8 hemi or other v8 would be an option especially considering heavy dana 44s and huge tires we so much like our rigs to push. Any thought. Anyone drop a chevy in their shiny new jk? Go ahead and rip me up or give stories, reasons for the current motor and lack of a v8 option. Thought this would be fun! Thanks!
I love the engine in my 2012 JK

I have heavy bumpers, extra skid plates, a winch and heavy Dynatrac d44 and d60 and my Jeep has plenty of power on and off road

If I really wanted more power I would get an AEV hemi conversion

My biggest improvement was gearing...

Started out with 3:21 and factory tires and it was ok, went to 33" and it sucked a bit

Went to 37's and 5:13's and its like a big go cart!

Matthew
Old 01-23-2014, 09:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ok, I'm thinking about re-gearing like everyone else.
I have a 2012 JKU, with 3.21, running Trail Grapplers that measure 34.6 on stock 18" wheels have stock bumpers, may change in the far future, with a total of 2.5" lift. Have used the Procal to re-program. It's not bad but I know it can be better. DD and do mostly fire road trails and light trails.

I'm thinking 4.10 or 4.56??? I'm not sure. First I thought 4.10 now with the more I read it sounds like I should go 4.56.

Anyone with this setup, give me some info and knowledge.

Thanks!!!

Quick Reply: Ways to truly increase engine power or is the jk pentastar just that good?