Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

way to many wires going to the battery

Old 03-24-2016, 10:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default way to many wires going to the battery

I could use some help it's beginning to look like a hot mess under the hood, and with an onboard air compressor getting mounted soon, I am running out of places on the battery.

I remember seeing where people are mounting terminal bars under the hood but can't seem to find a link anywhere. At the the time i never thought I'd go this far down the rabbit mod hole.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by junoh
I could use some help it's beginning to look like a hot mess under the hood, and with an onboard air compressor getting mounted soon, I am running out of places on the battery. I remember seeing where people are mounting terminal bars under the hood but can't seem to find a link anywhere. At the the time i never thought I'd go this far down the rabbit mod hole. Any help would be appreciated.
I'm in the middle of a rewiring project myself. I borrowed this idea from someone on the forums. But modified it to my needs. This is to run all my accy switched low amp needs from one 75 amp relay. Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3726511474.jpg
Views:	732
Size:	490.7 KB
ID:	641706 Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2612897208.jpg
Views:	743
Size:	634.8 KB
ID:	641707
However I did buy a large busbar that I could have just as easily mounted inside that same box and accomplished what you were looking for

Last edited by orangedude71; 03-24-2016 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-24-2016, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Orangedue71 has a nice clean box that's fused and insulated. Perhaps he can post a parts list for repro.

Firstly decide if you need a distribution block, a fuse block, or some combination of the two. BlueSea makes great products that you can get from Amazon, I saw a fuse block on sale this morning.

Buying a terminal bar depends on what you plan to connect to it, they have current limits so buy one that's right sized.

It might be a matter of just replacing your battery terminals with marine terminals and using a longer bolt, which also gives you a hex head instead of 4 sided.

This pic is old, I have more of those 2/0 welding cable connections now, just replaced the bolt and cinched it down.

Last edited by Unlimited_Fun; 03-24-2016 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-24-2016, 04:05 PM
JK Newbie

I sort of had the same issue, between the lights and winch I have wires everywhere. Installing a Bussmann relay box this weekend to try and clean it up
Old 03-24-2016, 04:52 PM
JK Super Freak

BUD Industries NBF-32008 Plastic ABS NEMA Economy Box with Solid Door, 10-5/8" Length x 3-59/64" Width x 2-3/4" Height, Light Gray Finish https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005T7Z75C..._SDi9wbMP577KS
Is the box. That's kind of key because there isn't a lot of space between the battery and hood. Then I used a dollar sheet of scrap abs from tap plastics in the bottom. It's about 1/4" thick. The great part about that is that I could use a pilot hole and a wood screw for mounting everything down to that plastic. After that, you can put whatever your heart desires in the box safely. And then I used a fuse tap to power the relay. I'll put some Velcro on the bottom but it really can't go anywhere.
Old 03-26-2016, 06:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

This is an example of the Blue Sea parts on sale, it will be on a lightening deal this afternoon for a while. I have great experience with these, everything is rock solid. Plus if you have an issue just call them and you'll speak to a guy in WA state. I was able to twist off a lug and since the products are warranted for life, they just sent me another in the mail no questions asked.

Blue Sea Systems ST Blade Fuse Block - 12 Circuits with Negative Bus & Cover

If you buy anything from Blue Sea, Bussman or Hella, you'll be fine. I mounted my fuse block on to the top of the main fuse box under the hood, just bolted on. For me it's fine there and very convenient.

Check these out:

Bussmann (CB185-100) 100 Amp Type III Circuit Breaker

Blue Sea Systems DualBus Plus 150A BusBar - 1/4

OLS PSZACCEPS052H 10-Way LED Illuminated Blade Fuse Box with Cover

Old 03-26-2016, 07:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Search waytekwire on this site.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:14 AM
JK Newbie

Highly recommend the Blue Sea Systems Bus. Very High quality, and keeps things pretty neat under the hood.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150716_183933.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	761.8 KB
ID:	641937
Old 03-27-2016, 12:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FD-JK
Highly recommend the Blue Sea Systems Bus. Very High quality, and keeps things pretty neat under the hood.

Attachment 641937
This is a good idea, does it comes like that or is something you put together?
Old 03-27-2016, 12:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go on Facebook and look up onxybox. Great product. I love mine, and the guy that builds them is very friendly and easy to work with.

Quick Reply: way to many wires going to the battery