Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

waterproofing the JK interior? Is it possible?

Old 08-08-2011, 10:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by olson
So, if I leave the top and doors off and it rains am I screwed? Just bought a rubicon and I want to go topless the rest of the summer but I worry about one of the freak rain storms we get in Tx. I would like a little more info if anyone can let me know. How easy does the carpet come out? I bought a safari top to put on to keep from cooking everything in this heat, will that help much?
Rains in mine all the time rained 4in today and is still raining in it right now. The only prob I have ever had is the horn will go off by itself sometimes after a hard rain
Old 08-26-2011, 08:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by medic_23387

Rains in mine all the time rained 4in today and is still raining in it right now. The only prob I have ever had is the horn will go off by itself sometimes after a hard rain
How are your seats? Coverd?
And do you have mud problem inside? And the floor?
Old 08-26-2011, 09:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by olson
So, if I leave the top and doors off and it rains am I screwed? Just bought a rubicon and I want to go topless the rest of the summer but I worry about one of the freak rain storms we get in Tx. I would like a little more info if anyone can let me know. How easy does the carpet come out? I bought a safari top to put on to keep from cooking everything in this heat, will that help much?
Easy answer. I have done everything. Sell your carpet. I just sold mine for $100 on the forum then get line x or a cheaper raptor, herculiner of your choice. Then take doors off add your safari bikini top and leave it like that til winter. This will keep the sun off, rain off the stereo and give you the elements with the doors off. Oh, take the plugs out so it will drain. Do this and 100 percent no problems and no worries! :-). Also, I am in OK so I know about the sudden storms and tornados lol
Old 08-26-2011, 12:57 PM
JK Newbie

No top, no doors, and carpet/plugs off a year ago (last July). I'll use a bikini top if I know it's going to rain. But, have been caught without quite a few times.

I've got leather seats and apply a mink oil (same as for waterproof boots) to the leather every few months just to help with the waterproofing. But, that's all I've done. I've had to hose out the interior a few times and get splashes up under the dash and sometimes on the front of the dash. Otherwise, the interior is stock. The sub is exposed in the trunk, I've got a waterproof bag bag there for misc stuff (including ponchos).

I live in San Diego and it doesn't get a bunch of rain. But, last winter, the interior was getting rain just about every day for a few weeks straight. I'd just wipe down the seats and go on about my business. I've got rust on the seat bolts, backseat brackets, parking brake, and parts of the steering column under the dash. I also live right next to the ocean and the salt air doesn't help the rust. Plan is to eventually paint/coat those rusty parts (after cleaning/replacing).

Overall, the beast is pretty darn water resistant.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Loving this possibility...

Never thought that Jk had this qualities...

Here, at Brazil, I don't know if the cops will bother me without doors, but I will try to discover...

And, what about mud?
Old 08-26-2011, 03:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Moraespedro
Loving this possibility...

Never thought that Jk had this qualities...

Here, at Brazil, I don't know if the cops will bother me without doors, but I will try to discover...

And, what about mud?
Hose it out! :-)
Old 08-26-2011, 03:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by slowpoke13
No top, no doors, and carpet/plugs off a year ago (last July). I'll use a bikini top if I know it's going to rain. But, have been caught without quite a few times.

I've got leather seats and apply a mink oil (same as for waterproof boots) to the leather every few months just to help with the waterproofing. But, that's all I've done. I've had to hose out the interior a few times and get splashes up under the dash and sometimes on the front of the dash. Otherwise, the interior is stock. The sub is exposed in the trunk, I've got a waterproof bag bag there for misc stuff (including ponchos).

I live in San Diego and it doesn't get a bunch of rain. But, last winter, the interior was getting rain just about every day for a few weeks straight. I'd just wipe down the seats and go on about my business. I've got rust on the seat bolts, backseat brackets, parking brake, and parts of the steering column under the dash. I also live right next to the ocean and the salt air doesn't help the rust. Plan is to eventually paint/coat those rusty parts (after cleaning/replacing).

Overall, the beast is pretty darn water resistant.
Toneau cover for the sub. Problem solved. Here is my setup
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3911802717.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	202835  
Old 08-26-2011, 04:12 PM
JK Newbie

Sub's never even been covered. Survived just fine. Even after this thread, I went out to look and it shows no sign that it's been exposed to the elements for a year.

Tonneau's just not for me. It'll help others who want to protect the rest of the stuff in the "bed"
Old 08-26-2011, 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

I live in Louisiana and have had no problems with the ungodly amount of rain we get out here. Biggest problem I have is that it needs a windshield wiper on the inside of the window while driving through the rain.
The jeep spends half it's time with hard top off, no carpet, and all plugs pulled. The only thing I've noticed was that the pads around the cage fade.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by slowpoke13
Sub's never even been covered. Survived just fine. Even after this thread, I went out to look and it shows no sign that it's been exposed to the elements for a year.

Tonneau's just not for me. It'll help others who want to protect the rest of the stuff in the "bed"
Great to know

Quick Reply: waterproofing the JK interior? Is it possible?