Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

waterproofing the JK interior? Is it possible?

Old 07-20-2011, 01:56 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default waterproofing the JK interior? Is it possible?

Is it possible to fully waterproof all the electronics on the inside? I live in FL so it can rain at anytime - having the doors/top off I'd like to waterproof the inside. So far I've come up with this:

rhino lining the interior (duh)
marine sub/speakers (from marine shop)
waterproof radio unit
Old 07-20-2011, 01:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ismai1
Is it possible to fully waterproof all the electronics on the inside? I live in FL so it can rain at anytime - having the doors/top off I'd like to waterproof the inside. So far I've come up with this:

waterproof radio unit
Dont forget the electronics under the center console. think thats like your ESP/Air bags.ect
Old 07-20-2011, 02:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ismai1

waterproof radio unit
Couple years ago when I was looking at options to improve resistance to rain for my TJ I came across a lot of people who said marine radio units/speakers/subs are not actually "waterproof". They are in fact water resistant but mostly just resistant to rust since they are around salt water nearly there whole life.

Just something I would look into before buying something just because its marine rated.

Interested to see how it turns out though since I've had my TJ rain on lots of times and rather cautious with the JK as its still "new" for me.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

you can put wrap everywhere of get a soft too or better get a cab cover in your trunk :p
Old 07-21-2011, 01:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

your seat dont come all wet??? you got leather or materiel seat qnd what about the floor ???
Old 07-21-2011, 01:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The factory JK seats are designed to dry up in a short amount of time. There is no real "foam" that soaks up the water.

The interior of the JK is ready for water, just the dashboard needs to be worked on.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You would need to find a way to keep water from getting in the gap between steering wheel and column. There seem to be indications it can take out the clock spring from reading on here.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:05 AM
JK Super Freak

I did line x. Waterproof seat covers and use a bikini top. With doors off and rain I get water in but my factory mygig DVD radio and speakers are always good. Get a toneau cover for the rear sub over the back. So i am waterproof with my setup!!! :-) been running this all summer
Old 07-22-2011, 03:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thunderstorm took out my clockspring with no top but I run doorless with the trektop and stay pretty dry
Old 08-08-2011, 10:34 PM
JK Newbie

So, if I leave the top and doors off and it rains am I screwed? Just bought a rubicon and I want to go topless the rest of the summer but I worry about one of the freak rain storms we get in Tx. I would like a little more info if anyone can let me know. How easy does the carpet come out? I bought a safari top to put on to keep from cooking everything in this heat, will that help much?

Quick Reply: waterproofing the JK interior? Is it possible?