Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

water in gearbox

Old 05-01-2013, 08:49 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I found a thread with pics... but the thread is on another forum and I am not sure of the protocol on referencing other forums. I will include the pics here...

It looks like the vent is under the rubber shift boot inside the jeep.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...ures/001-1.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...ures/002-2.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...ures/003-1.jpg
Old 05-01-2013, 12:39 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by MMXJKU
Can you give more detail on water in the axle? Do you mean the axle tube which is not a big issue or the axle differential which is a problem.

Water in the transmission fluid is a big deal. Driving it can cause further damage. You should have it checked.
As far as I know the axle tube and the diff is one volume. I also changed the oil in both axles.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by darkhelmet
OK, I found a thread with pics... but the thread is on another forum and I am not sure of the protocol on referencing other forums. I will include the pics here...

It looks like the vent is under the rubber shift boot inside the jeep.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...ures/001-1.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...ures/002-2.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...ures/003-1.jpg
Thank you so much for the pics its a great help for me.
Old 05-02-2013, 05:56 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by HansJKO
Thank you so much for the pics its a great help for me.
Glad I could be of assistance. That's what these forums are for.
Old 06-29-2013, 02:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by HansJKO

It was clear water so that won't be the problem.
Clutch works fine, I changed the oil and there was water in it.
Could it get in via the shifter on top? I'm still searching.
I just did a 3'+ water crossing in 1st gear/4hi 3 times. The last time I was getting stuck, had no choice but to depress the clutch and rev so as not to stall.

Shifts fine afterwards, planning on changing gear oil in the manual trans and diff on principle, but feel kind of anal doing it.

Anyone her want to talk me out of it?
Old 06-29-2013, 03:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doc5339
I just did a 3'+ water crossing in 1st gear/4hi 3 times. The last time I was getting stuck, had no choice but to depress the clutch and rev so as not to stall.

Shifts fine afterwards, planning on changing gear oil in the manual trans and diff on principle, but feel kind of anal doing it.

If I played in water over three feet deep without having the vent tubes extended, I absolutely would change the fluid in the diffs, the trans, and the transfer case. Kind of cheap insurance against having problems down the road in my opinion.
Old 06-29-2013, 04:14 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Radioman
If I played in water over three feet deep without having the vent tubes extended, I absolutely would change the fluid in the diffs, the trans, and the transfer case. Kind of cheap insurance against having problems down the road in my opinion.
You are so correct, I like to quote Robert DeNiro in [I]Ronin[I] "If there is any doubt.......there is NO doubt."

First thing tomorrow I will change my 2013 JKUR's:

Manual Transmission with: 1.6 quarts Royal Purple Synchromax MTF (need to purchase)
Transfer Case with: 2.1 quarts AMSOIL Universal ATF (have this)
Front/Rear Differentials with: 3.8 quarts Royal Purple 75w90 Gear Oil (need to purchase 3 more)

All-in-all my stupid stunt will cost $108.28 in fluids.

Do I need the 14mm and modified 17mm Allen Heads for the 2013 trans, I have not poked my head under there yet? Any other tips are greatly appreciated! I will start looking at the Differential Breather Hoses from River Raider as well.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:42 PM
JK Junkie

If your in three feet of water you should be in 4low definitely.
Old 06-29-2013, 07:17 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Biggy

If your in three feet of water you should be in 4low definitely.
I could have been wrong but 4lo in 1st with 4:1 crawl ratio seemed way too slow to ford that? Maybe I have something to learn here?
Old 06-29-2013, 07:40 PM
JK Junkie

I could have been wrong but 4lo in 1st with 4:1 crawl ratio seemed way too slow to ford that? Maybe I have something to learn here?
To me you should be going slow in water especially that deep. If you find 1st is to slow then just start out in 2nd gear. Good thing about 4lo in water is if you do stall you can still try and start without the use of the clutch.

Quick Reply: water in gearbox