Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

water in gearbox

Old 04-29-2013, 11:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water in gearbox

Hey I'm new on this forum, can anyone help me?
I recently crossed a river that was about 1m (+3ft ) deep and I got water in my axles and gearbox.
The gearbox is a 6speed manual. My question is how could the water enter the case I can't find anything.
Is there a aspirationvalve or something ? If so where is it located ? Any help is useful .
Old 04-29-2013, 12:33 PM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Follow the vent hoses and you'll see where they're mounted. Front axle vent is attached to the top of the left shock mount. Rear is on the right side between the chassis and tub floor. I believe the trans vent is on the firewall. Sounds like its time to extend the vents.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

You are lucky it only went into you vent hoses. I know many people going thru deep water in there jeep and sucking water into their intake hydrolocking their engine.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:30 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks. I allready found the hoses on the axles my only problem was to find it on the gearbox.
But I will take another look.
The purpose is to relocate them in the enginecompartment.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:42 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by HansJKO
Thanks. I allready found the hoses on the axles my only problem was to find it on the gearbox.
But I will take another look.
The purpose is to relocate them in the enginecompartment.
To my knowledge, there is no vent on the manual transmission like there is on the automatic. The issue with the manual is that if you depress the clutch while it is under water, you will then get water (and anything in the water) in between your clutch and pressure plate. This could be no problem, or a huge pain depending on what kind of gunk or mud got in between them.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by darkhelmet

To my knowledge, there is no vent on the manual transmission like there is on the automatic. The issue with the manual is that if you depress the clutch while it is under water, you will then get water (and anything in the water) in between your clutch and pressure plate. This could be no problem, or a huge pain depending on what kind of gunk or mud got in between them.
2x happened to me before but my clutch burnt out a few mins later(after the water crossing and that was the cause )
Old 05-01-2013, 07:26 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by madmike232
2x happened to me before but my clutch burnt out a few mins later(after the water crossing and that was the cause )
It was clear water so that won't be the problem.
Clutch works fine, I changed the oil and there was water in it.
Could it get in via the shifter on top? I'm still searching.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:29 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by HansJKO
It was clear water so that won't be the problem.
Clutch works fine, I changed the oil and there was water in it.
Could it get in via the shifter on top? I'm still searching.
I suppose anything is possible... perhaps someone with better knowledge will chime in. Now you have me wondering.

Edit: Also, for extending the vents on the axles and transfer case, I suggest the kit from River Raider. It seems a bit pricey for some rubber hoses and plastic fittings, but worked like a champ for me and the install is a breeze.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:56 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The manual trans is vented on the top. I saw a thread where it can be extended and raised up.

Last edited by Ncb; 05-01-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Can you give more detail on water in the axle? Do you mean the axle tube which is not a big issue or the axle differential which is a problem.

Water in the transmission fluid is a big deal. Driving it can cause further damage. You should have it checked.

Quick Reply: water in gearbox