Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Washers for spacers?

Old 11-04-2011, 07:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Washers for spacers?

So I got some old chevy 15" rims for cheap that I intended to throw some used 33's on for off road beater tires. The rims just barely don't clear the break calipers, so instead of going out and spending 3x the money on some wheel spacers than I did got the actual rims I got to thinking maybe I could use some washers to get that little bit of clearance. It would be for off roading only (and getting there and back). What do you guys think? Would it work?
Thanks ahead of time.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oh, here's a pic of the rims after I threw some black spray paint on them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20111104_213054.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	232629
Old 11-04-2011, 07:32 PM
JK Super Freak

I think it would be very dangerous. if you use washer as a spacer yuo are effectively shortening the amount of lug nut stud that you can use to hold your wheel on. A good set of wheel spacers mount to your original lug nut studs and give you a FULL stud to mount your wheel to. In my opinion you are really asking for a dangerous situation.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:34 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Bonedoc
I think it would be very dangerous. if you use washer as a spacer yuo are effectively shortening the amount of lug nut stud that you can use to hold your wheel on. A good set of wheel spacers mount to your original lug nut studs and give you a FULL stud to mount your wheel to. In my opinion you are really asking for a dangerous situation.
I agree and if the wheels are not seated against the axle it leaves the possibility for the wheel to move and wear down the studs.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bonedoc
^^This...not a safe idea...
Old 11-04-2011, 07:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok, I guess it's back to the search for an inexpensive fix. Thanks for the advice!
Old 11-04-2011, 07:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

By the way, it's been super hard finding any used 5 on 5 rims. I finally find a cheap set and they don't clear the breaks. Just my luck. :-p
Old 11-04-2011, 08:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Spend the cash for some wheel spacers. Not only will it solve your issue but you will like the look of your jeep better with your stock setup.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:00 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

You can get a set of cheap steel wheels, with the correct bolt pattern and backspacing, for about the cost of a 'decent' set of spacer/adapters to run your old used chevy rims.

Quick Reply: Washers for spacers?