Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

warranty question open for all

Old 08-15-2011, 02:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by planman
Extended warranties are a one time charge that a finance salesperson sells at the time you buy your vehicle.

If you cancel the extended warranty, the warranty company will send you a refund check.

The refund is typically not applied to the loan balance.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
Well I'm paying for it through my payments
Old 08-15-2011, 05:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

In the end, only the engine and the tranny are the big, big ticket items a person would want to cover under warranty. Pretty much everything else, if it breaks or fails, you want to upgrade anyway. In many cases, I prefer to just fix/deal with issues myself instead of taking it in for a leaking top, or some other minor issue.
Nobody wants a busted mechanical component, but the drive train is just a bunch of minivan and light truck parts that are easy to come by and, except for the clutch, not that hard to repair or replace. On top of that, there is a 100K warranty on those parts on a lot of JKs.

On the other hand, the computers and power control module are very expensive, purpose built, and probably impossible to get working again without some costly dealer programming. Also, those electronics are only warrented for 36K/36 months (at least on mine). This is the warranty stuff I'd worry about.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Freewill

Nobody wants a busted mechanical component, but the drive train is just a bunch of minivan and light truck parts that are easy to come by and, except for the clutch, not that hard to repair or replace. On top of that, there is a 100K warranty on those parts on a lot of JKs.

On the other hand, the computers and power control module are very expensive, purpose built, and probably impossible to get working again without some costly dealer programming. Also, those electronics are only warrented for 36K/36 months (at least on mine). This is the warranty stuff I'd worry about.
And that's basically all I am worried about but I read somewhere that a guy got a lift had trans problems and they blamed it on the lift when he took it in
Old 08-15-2011, 11:34 PM
JK Super Freak

Whoever it was, the only way that happened is that he did not have a good relationship with his service manager and service writer in advance.

A lift has no affect on a transmission. Ubber large/heavy tires do. Inproper differential gearing for a given tire size can, but a lift does affect the transmission.
Would a 2.5 inch lift effect anything on the jk besides hight and bigger tire size
Old 08-16-2011, 06:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

put a case of beer in the back everytime you bring it in, the techs will love you.
Old 08-16-2011, 06:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Had a rod bearing failure do to over revving (oops) and limped the diesel sounding JK into the dealer where I got it, completely covered in mud. They dropped a new block in AND paid for 25% of my rental car. The service tech was like, haha you beat the hell out of her huh? Then said that if I needed warranty work again, clean it beforehand:lmao2: I love my dealership!!!:clapping:

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.656406,-87.483815
Old 08-16-2011, 05:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by drivingfool
put a case of beer in the back everytime you bring it in, the techs will love you.
Lol that's actually a really good idea
Old 08-16-2011, 05:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by staticfloor627
Had a rod bearing failure do to over revving (oops) and limped the diesel sounding JK into the dealer where I got it, completely covered in mud. They dropped a new block in AND paid for 25% of my rental car. The service tech was like, haha you beat the hell out of her huh? Then said that if I needed warranty work again, clean it beforehand:lmao2: I love my dealership!!!:clapping:

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=36.656406,-87.483815
Man if I was going to do that drive they better take care of me haha I live in buffalo new York

Quick Reply: warranty question open for all