Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Warranty question...dealer perception on bb lift

Old 09-20-2008, 06:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranty question...dealer perception on bb lift

I am doing a BB lift (still debating coil vs spacer). I have read enough to know that most dealers won't put up much of a fuss with a 2" spacer, but do they consider changing the coils of that same size to be more of an issue in regards to warranty situations...i.e. by changing coils, would a dealer say that I am messing too much with the suspension and does that break the warranty rules enough for them to call "foul"?

Thx

J.
Old 09-20-2008, 06:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

If you're worried that your dealer is going to black ball you and void your warranty for putting on a boost or 2 inch coil lift don't. Most dealers don't like to perform warranty work on heavily modified vehicles because they run into issues with the modifications. The fact of the matter is a dealer service department is a profit machine just like any other department in it. Chrysler only pays time for time by the book for what warranty repairs cost. On an unmodified vehicle warranty repairs are pretty straight forward. When you throw mods into the mix warranty service gets more complicated on top of the fact that the techs have to be mindful of any mods done. The more time it takes to complete the task, the less profit margin there is for the tech doing the work and the service department as a whole. A huge thing that a lot of people might not realise is not to be a complete a** hole to the guys that are doing their best to fix the problem. If you modify your Jeep just be straight with the service manager at the dealer and at least most of the time they will be straight with you. They are after all in the customer service business. Most of all have common sense. If the part failed because of unrealistic expectations on the trail or because the mods you made added unforseen stresses to factory systems, you can't stomp into a dealer and demand they fix your Jeep for free. Bottom line, if you're a pretty nice guy or girl they're going to go easy on you.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:07 PM
JK Freak

The best thing to do is find a dealer that sells brand new Wranglers on their lot that are lifted, ie, a mod friendly dealer. You will have less trouble dealing with a dealership like that for warranty work.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had 2 inch coils on my 05 Rubicon, the dealer didn't even notice.
Old 09-21-2008, 02:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JLowy
I am doing a BB lift (still debating coil vs spacer). I have read enough to know that most dealers won't put up much of a fuss with a 2" spacer, but do they consider changing the coils of that same size to be more of an issue in regards to warranty situations...i.e. by changing coils, would a dealer say that I am messing too much with the suspension and does that break the warranty rules enough for them to call "foul"?

Thx

J.
I would say to answer your question that if they don't mind spacers they won't mind longer coils. It really would be the same for them concerning any maintence in the future. Any dealer that would give you crap about 2 inches doesn't really want your business. If you want the coils I say put em on and enjoy.
Old 09-22-2008, 01:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JLowy
...i.e. by changing coils, would a dealer say that I am messing too much with the suspension and does that break the warranty rules enough for them to call "foul"?

Thx

J.
It's hit and miss really. Some dealerships will be less concerned than others.

My best friend owns a Jeep dealership where I got my 2008 4-Door Rubicon. Have you (in passing) asked the service manager about it? I decided to go in for an oil-change in order to get a feel from the service manager. In passing, I asked him if he had any thoughts on the Rough Country 4" lift. After looking at me like I had 4 heads, he was less than enthusiastic about mods.

Fast forward a few months, I saw the service manager at my buds wedding, and he said that he looked into lifts. His response? Anything Rubicon Express wouldn't be questioned. ??? Why? Because they have been blessed by Chrysler. Now does that mean another dealer would have the same position? Probably not.

It's hit and miss. Though the manufacturer will be able to tell you if their product voids the warranty.

Quick Reply: Warranty question...dealer perception on bb lift