Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Warranties and Mods

Old 08-08-2014, 10:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warranties and Mods

My one familiar with the warranties on Jeeps and mods that can be done? I did talk to the service dept and they said Mopar parts are the best for major stuff. The example they gave was if a winch (not a Mopar part) caused the transmission to fry I'd be screwed, but if I added break light guards and the transmission fries it's cover since it's not directly related to it. Help?

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 08-08-2014, 11:36 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Go to the Jeep website. Put the cursor over Owners and click Shop Accessories. In Parts and Accessories, view the catalog.

NO PARTS WARRANTY – “AS IS”
Mopar Performance parts beginning with a “P” prefix are sold “as is” unless otherwise noted. This means that parts sold by Mopar Performance carry no warranty whatsoever. Implied warranties, such as warranties of merchantability, are excluded. (An implied warranty of merchantability means that the part is reasonably fit for the general purpose for which it was sold). The entire risk as to quality and performance of such parts is with the buyer. Should such parts prove defective following their purchase, the buyer and not the manufacturer, distributor or retailer, assumes the entire cost of all necessary servicing or repair. Chrysler, Jeep®, Dodge and Ram vehicle and parts warranties are voided if the vehicle or parts are used for competition. The addition of performance parts does not by itself void a vehicle’s warranty. However, added performance parts (parts not originally supplied on the vehicle from the factory) are not covered by the vehicle’s warranty, and any failure that they may cause is also not covered by the vehicle’s warranty.
They have to prove that the part you installed actually caused the issue you are trying to warranty. Some dealers are more mod-friendly and willing to work with you than others. But even if you get a dealership that denies a valid claim, you have every right to go over their heads and fight it.

Why would anyone choose to buy a mopar performance part? Serious mark up topped off by "no warranty whatsoever".
Old 08-09-2014, 03:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, don't by a mopar part. Most of those parts are ARB. ARB makes good stuff but as stated, mark up is huge on them and can only imagine paying dealer installation prices.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:54 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks! I just don't wanna void the warranties we got cuz they're really good! But I wanna be able to change things on my new Jeep.

Sent from my iPhone using JK-Forum
Old 08-09-2014, 07:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by red09
Yeah, don't by a mopar part. Most of those parts are ARB. ARB makes good stuff but as stated, mark up is huge on them and can only imagine paying dealer installation prices.
Well that's just a bogus statement (the most Mopar parts are made by ARB part)...what parts branded Mopar are made by ARB? Pretty sure if that's what you're telling folks someone might want to get facts straight.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:02 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Forget the warranty. It doesn't matter. On a jeep wrangler, an extended warranty is a complete waste of money and concern.

The factory warranty will cover the engine and transmission. If the engine and tranny haven't had problems in the first 3000-5000 miles, they are almost assuredly fine.

If you paid extra for an extended warranty, cancel it ASAP and get a refund. Use the refund to help modify your jeep.

The warranty only covers factory parts. When factory parts fail, it is because they are weak and need to be replaced with upgraded aftermarket parts.

A winch will not cause a transmission to fail. If the dealer is so dishonest to suggest that a winch will cause a transmission to fail, they will find an excuse to refuse warranty coverage for almost anything--like driving on a dirt road that is rutted as being abuse that causes failures of factory parts.

As mentioned above, Mopar Performance parts are no different than other quality aftermarket parts when it comes to the factory warranty.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:09 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You are correct. Most Mopar parts are not ARB parts.

However, most Mopar parts are made by other manufacturers.

He was asking about a winch.

http://www.mopar.com/part/82209325AD

That Mopar part is a Warn 9.5ti winch.

This Mopar part is also a Warn winch. http://www.quadratec.com/products/92106_05.htm
Old 08-10-2014, 05:55 AM
JK Newbie

The Mopar 2 and 4" lift kits are not made by jeep but they do meet or excede Mopar specs and they are covered under the factory warranty so buying them makes sense.at the dealer you can get a brand new jeep with 4" lift and 35s or 37s and still be covered. And you can finance the whole deal,not for everyone but for some it makes sense
Old 08-10-2014, 06:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JEEEPZ
The Mopar 2 and 4" lift kits are not made by jeep but they do meet or excede Mopar specs and they are covered under the factory warranty so buying them makes sense.at the dealer you can get a brand new jeep with 4" lift and 35s or 37s and still be covered. And you can finance the whole deal,not for everyone but for some it makes sense
Break an axle with 35's or 37's and it will not be covered no matter what lift (mopar included) or who installed it.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LidLess07X
Break an axle with 35's or 37's and it will not be covered no matter what lift (mopar included) or who installed it.
recently have seen a waiver of warranty from jeep dealer that you will sign if you buy a jeep with larger than 35s from a dealer. Also a rollover risk statement for those with over 2 inch lift. These are for modded jeeps from dealer. My location in Dallas is selling 4 and 6 inch lifted jeeps with 37/13.5/22s look great but engine and tranny warranty is about all you get. Forget about "drive train" axles and shafts are not covered according to waiver. It must be signed to purchase according to dealer.

Sent using smoke signals

Quick Reply: Warranties and Mods