Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Warning, Superior Axle Studs

Old 01-21-2009, 06:56 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Warning, Superior Axle Studs

I took my JK into the shop to have my 5.13's installed and asked my mechanic to install the rear Superior axles I ordered while he was at it. He called me this afternoon and told me the wheel studs that came with the axles were too short for my Spidertrax 1.5" spacers to be bolted back on. He's going to call Superior tomorrow morning to see if they make them any longer. Superior uses a stud that threads into the axle making them hard/impossible to find locally. So if you're planning on some Superior rear axles with your spacers, contact Superior first or stay tuned to this thread. I'll update here as soon as I hear anything.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:49 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the first I have heard of this??? How much shorter are the studs on the Superiors?
Old 01-21-2009, 08:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny I'll have to check but I just installed Superior axels in my rig and the studs didn't seem any shorter than the stock ones. What I have heard is that since the Superiors thread in, there is a chance that when tightening the lug nuts you can back out the studs and fawk up your brakes.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:19 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I know they have many sizes of studs my guess is you just got the wrong ones, it has nothing to do with the wheel spacers

David
Old 01-22-2009, 03:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Eugene
Funny I'll have to check but I just installed Superior axels in my rig and the studs didn't seem any shorter than the stock ones. What I have heard is that since the Superiors thread in, there is a chance that when tightening the lug nuts you can back out the studs and fawk up your brakes.
I've got my Superior axles sitting on my workbench waiting to get installed and the studs I have look plenty long enough.

As to backing out I'd think putting some red Loctite on the studs would prevent that from happening. Blue would probably work too. I was going to inquire as to the torque specs for them also. I take my lug nuts to 95 pounds; it makes sense that the studs should be higher - maybe something around 125. A call to Superior is in order; or perhaps David knows.

Good luck Seer1 on getting this rectified.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:13 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
I know they have many sizes of studs my guess is you just got the wrong ones, it has nothing to do with the wheel spacers

David
I really couldn't see how it would have anything to do with the spacers and Superior having many different sizes is what I was hoping to hear. The only problem is the JK's apart in this guy's shop due to getting the wrong studs that now I'll have to $overnight$ in. So I'm changing the warning to check those wheel studs prior to tearing everything apart!
Old 01-22-2009, 06:00 PM
JK Junkie

My people called Superior's people and they, of course told my people they'd never heard of this before. Lance (the guy putting in my gears and locker) and I had a bit of a chuckle about the number of times we've both been told that by various vendors. Anyhow they're shipping longer wheel studs out (on my dime) and they'll hopefully be here tomorrow. So check the stuff before you pull everything apart.

Quick Reply: Warning, Superior Axle Studs