Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Warning! Rugged Ridge XHD Rear Tire Carrier Metal Breaks!

Old 11-02-2010, 08:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you guys have trouble with the tire shaking around? It seems to be cuz the tire only makes contact at the bottom, and low on the two angles...im thinking about ditching the 3rd brake light, and puting some square tube in there so at least the top of the tire has something to press against. what you think?
Old 11-02-2010, 10:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default amazing

Y'know, it always amazes me that RR is so quick to help everybody out. I must've pissed him off at some point. He promised me a new bracket for the passenger side of the bumper when it was bumping against the body on big bumps. Three times he told me he'd help me out. Never got it. I ended up fixing it myself.

Don't get me wrong, I love my front/rear bumper system, but talk about frustration!

EDIT: RR, not trying to call you out, b/c I'm sure you're busy, but it would've been great to have an "easy" fix to my problem while I was home on R&R versus taking time away from my family to make sure our vehicle was safe.

Last edited by JDScott10; 11-02-2010 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Meant to put RR, but had just read Dave's name.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I added some support to the carrier. I did weld the tire mount togther as well. Almost stopped my tire dancing around in my rear view mirror.
I pushed the stops all the way back, so they wouldnt contact the tire and use the Daystar bump stops on the gate so you can cut them to fit.

Old 11-02-2010, 12:31 PM
JK Junkie

^^ this is such a good idea... think I'll borrow it for my Smittybilt XRC rear.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mbjeepxj
on mine i cut my rubber bumpers on the gate down shorter so i could move the plates away from the tire.... then can snug tire up against carrier.
worked out well... but i still don't like that mount the wheel attaches to... always seems like a weak point to me...
Ditto this is what I did also....I do like this carrier but the constant wiggle of the tire in my rear view always concerns me...I keep thinking one day I'll hit a good pot hole and see my spare pass me up at a stop light..
Old 11-02-2010, 07:41 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cut down the bump stops also. The top of my tire rests against the lower part of the third break light. The problem I have is I had to add all the shims and even create some more to get the latch to reach the top of the catch so it would stop the clunking when i hit a bump...

Has any1 installed the linkage yet. I have it just haven't got around to it...
Old 11-03-2010, 03:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JaxLoki
I cut down the bump stops also. The top of my tire rests against the lower part of the third break light. The problem I have is I had to add all the shims and even create some more to get the latch to reach the top of the catch so it would stop the clunking when i hit a bump...

Im with you, I had to add all the shims..and im still not completely at the top yet. if im going down a gravel road and hit a bump, i get the most horrific beating and banging on the carrier.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

another annoying tid bit, the tailgate hits the far right bolt head on the latch post. I have to pick up on the tailgate to open/close it now
Old 11-03-2010, 05:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

I made some shims also... but mine is in the middle of the catch still and i do get clunking over big bumps... i may try what you did and get it to the top of the catch...

i also have the linkage... i love it... once i got it adjusted so it's nice and tight when the gate is shut so it, too, doesn't rattle around over bumps... i also added some blue loc-tite to the one end that doesn't have a jam nut... couldn't find a left-hand threaded nut to add another jam-nut to that one end... other than that i can't complain about the linkage... love not having to use the damn pin anymore and the tire carrier not almost hitting the car parked next to me with it needing to swing so far out to engage the pin...

another annoying tid bit, the tailgate hits the far right bolt head on the latch post. I have to pick up on the tailgate to open/close it now
i was annoyed during the install because mine showed up with the carrier attached to the spindle... therefore i couldn't even install that bolt from the top down... i didn't want to pull the bearings, so i found a longer bolt and matching nut with the same threads as the original and threaded the bolt up from the bottom and used the nut on the top side... creating a stud of sorts... so far it's staying nice and tight and clears the carrier pivot...

Mark

Last edited by mbjeepxj; 11-03-2010 at 05:14 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

i was annoyed during the install because mine showed up with the carrier attached to the spindle... therefore i couldn't even install that bolt from the top down... i didn't want to pull the bearings, so i found a longer bolt and matching nut with the same threads as the original and threaded the bolt up from the bottom and used the nut on the top side... creating a stud of sorts... so far it's staying nice and tight and clears the carrier pivot...

Mark[/QUOTE]

I am actually talking about the bolt that is directly under the tailgate handle. Its the one that doesnt allow me to open or close the tailgate. I tried running without it, but wasnt sure if that was making the rattle/shake worse.

Quick Reply: Warning! Rugged Ridge XHD Rear Tire Carrier Metal Breaks!