Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

WARNING to LubeLocker users!

Old 07-08-2009, 07:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tkob1060
they can NOT respond to this thread without signing up as a sponser

I think they'll get black listed if they do

I've been using LL and Solid diff covers with out a problem, always followed the torque for the solid covers
I haven't read the FAQ closely enough; I thought they might be able to weigh in with a non-commercial response.

lol, I know full well people are getting away with 35 pounds on those bolts. Living on borrowed time methinks...
Old 07-08-2009, 07:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Hellbound13
Woah, wait... I can't get a socket on the factory bolts? Are you just taking about with a solid diff cover?
Right. You can't get a socket on a SOLID cover with factory hex bolts, that's all.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lube Lockers

When I bought my Riddler covers from Northridge, I sent Dave an email regarding the issue reported. He suggested to use a 6 inch ratchet and make the bolts snug. I have had no leaks and no broken bolt issues.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:41 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've always just gone for 25 LB FT on 5/16" bolts and called it a day. I would say you should write to the makers of Lube Locker. I think this is a legitimate concern.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:32 AM
JK Super Freak

I agree Redneck, and I've done exactly that. We'll see if they contact me back or are able to make a comment here. (If they e-mail me directly, I'll post what they say.)
Old 07-09-2009, 03:48 AM
JK Jedi

Thanks for the heads-up, I intend to go with the gaskets whenever I get around to doing the covers.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Okay, so where is the real problem? The Solid Diff Cover, the Solid Supplied hardware, the lubelocker itself or the lubelocker instructions? I am not really sure how to address then when I change mine next week.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:11 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by RocksHurt
Okay, so where is the real problem? The Solid Diff Cover, the Solid Supplied hardware, the lubelocker itself or the lubelocker instructions? I am not really sure how to address then when I change mine next week.
my personal experience is

a) the SOLID supplied hardware
&
b) the instructions supplied by Lubelocker

the combination of the two is bad news
Old 07-09-2009, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I will put in another plug for the wrist torque. Used a 7" Allen and got the hex bolts snug the first time through. I then went over them and got them as tight as possible without using my bodyweight for leverage. I figure this puts me around 25 ft-lbs.

I have ARB and have checked the gear oil level 3 times in the last 2 months. Haven’t lost any yet.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RocksHurt
  • The SOLID diff covers are fine. Good stuff.
  • The SOLID supplied fasteners are satisfactory so long as you don't go anywhere near the LubeLocker recommended torque setting; stainless is significantly softer (read: easier to break) than Grade-8 stuff.
  • The LubeLocker gaskets are fine. Good product.
  • The LubeLocker recommended torque setting of 35 lb-ft is whack. Period.
Make sense?

Last edited by opdsgt; 07-09-2009 at 06:36 AM.

Quick Reply: WARNING to LubeLocker users!