Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

WARNING to LubeLocker users!

Old 07-08-2009, 06:06 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hellbound, I simply held the cover up along with the gasket, placed a bolt through one of the holes at the top, and finger-tightened to hold both in place so I could get the other bolts started.

Follow LL's diagram for which bolts to torque and in what order (spreading the load evenly and incrementally rather than pinching the cover down tightly in one place).

Personally, I think 15 followed by 25 sounds like a perfect compromise. Plenty tight IMO.

Omaha

P.S. I e-mailed LubeLocker and gave them the url to this thread. I think that's the honest thing to do (at least let them have an opportunity to register and comment). I hope they're contrite and charitable in their reply; it's going to be difficult at best to defend the 35 pound figure.

Last edited by opdsgt; 07-08-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by edwin907
Omaha, please keep us informed if you discover any other discrepancies in torque settings you come across. I got to get me one of those manuals.
I will, edwin.

I'm a torque Nazi. I torque everything to spec. So I'm a bit embarrassed I didn't follow my ages old advice -trust but verify- and have learned from my mistake on the covers.

I wanted to spare brother and sister JK Forum members the headache I endured today, hence my motive for posting the ugly photos.

Cheers!
Old 07-08-2009, 06:20 PM
JK Jedi

Im glad you did, or I would have made the same mistake!
Old 07-08-2009, 06:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hopefully LL will view/respond to this thread and I just hope they realize how much we like their gaskets. It seems to me that this gasket would have the greatest chance of not leaking following a hit to the drivetrain. And as far as maintenance, they are king. A off-road vehicle like a Jeep is likely to suffer contamination of the lubricant, and having a gasket like the LL makes it much easier to clean and flush the diff. And of course you can re-use the gasket, but you should not routinely. We can all see ourselves lying in mud with a tube of RTV on the trail!
As long as they are available I'll be using them. I actually have a spare one on hand and will pick up another the next time I send in an order.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's just great. I just ordered the lubelocker and a Solid diff cover. Is it safe to use the hardware supplied from solid or reuse the factory bolts?
Old 07-08-2009, 06:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RocksHurt
That's just great. I just ordered the lubelocker and a Solid diff cover. Is it safe to use the hardware supplied from solid or reuse the factory bolts?
You can't use the factory hex bolts - not enough clearance to get a socket on them (the socket will touch the cover where it projects out into space).

You can use the supplied stainless cap screws (aka allens), just don't go anywhere near the 35 pounds LubeLocker calls for.

First run through with your torque wrench at 15 pounds, then 25, you should have zero problems.

Old 07-08-2009, 06:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Hopefully LL will view/respond to this thread and I just hope they realize how much we like their gaskets. It seems to me that this gasket would have the greatest chance of not leaking following a hit to the drivetrain. And as far as maintenance, they are king.
Amen, edwin. I was careful to mention my appreciation for the gasket in my original post. My gripe isn't with the product, but only the torque setting they provide in their instructions.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:01 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hopefully LL will view/respond to this thread and I just hope they realize how much we like their gaskets. r.
they can NOT respond to this thread without signing up as a sponser

I think they'll get black listed if they do

I've been using LL and Solid diff covers with out a problem, always followed the torque for the solid covers

Last edited by tkob1060; 07-08-2009 at 07:03 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 07:11 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used lube lockers when i put my Solid cover on and snapped the first bolt on the first pass!

i made two passes taking them only to 25 ft/lbs... no issues, no leaks
Old 07-08-2009, 07:16 PM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Omaha
You can't use the factory hex bolts - not enough clearance to get a socket on them (the socket will touch the cover where it projects out into space).

You can use the supplied stainless cap screws (aka allens), just don't go anywhere near the 35 pounds LubeLocker calls for.

First run through with your torque wrench at 15 pounds, then 25, you should have zero problems.

Woah, wait... I can't get a socket on the factory bolts? Are you just taking about with a solid diff cover?

Quick Reply: WARNING to LubeLocker users!