Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

WARNING..Gibson headers

Old 08-28-2007, 08:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WARNING..Gibson headers

I have the Gibson GP403 headers and had a burning smell since I installed them and could not find where it was coming from until I was under it tightening up the flange bolts. I found the smell...it was the battery tray melting away. Make sure if you have these headers to check the bottom corner of your battery tray, you need to get underneath or lift up your inner fender lining and shine a light in there to see it. I made a heat sheild and installed it to prevent further damage. On the drivers side, the steering universal rubbed the header a little. I contacted Gibson and they are going to send me a replcement for the drivers side but no help on the battery tray because it is a performance part. They are going to include a heat sheild for future sales when they get one designed. If you sre getting ready to install some, be sure and make your own heat sheild or wait and contact Gibson for a heatsheild when they have them. This Jeep creates a lot of heat under the hood and it has no where to go. I am going to put some vents in the hood to help with that soon. Anyone else with headers have this problem?

melted area

melted drips I broke off

heat sheild I fabricated

Jim
Old 08-28-2007, 09:42 AM
JK Newbie

Gotta love the heat from hedders
Old 08-28-2007, 09:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

How are the headers? Loud, better performance, deep sound, high sound?
Old 08-28-2007, 10:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not loud, I had a magnaflo under the cab and did not like it because it sounded no better than stock, so I cut a hole in the left end of the stock muffler, made a baffle and matching tail pipe which sounds no different. I am considering a Flowmaster. Feels a little stronger but not much and I think it is because I have not found the correct muffler combo.
Jim
Old 08-28-2007, 12:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

That's pretty sloppy on Gibsons part, IMO. For that price and with their experiecne you would think that heat shielding would be one of the standard items on their checklist.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Woohoo. Lets hear it for Fisher Price parts that Jeep and all other car companies use nowadays. I find it funny that my 79 CJ7 with 304 and hedman headers, my 57 chevy with 327 and headers and my 90 YJ with 350 and headers don't have melted battery trays....could it be because they are made out of METAL!!! Idiot car companies....anyway to save a dime.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:24 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"could it be because they are made out of METAL!!!"

I think they went to plastic because the steel battery tray would rust away from the battery acid. Maybe fab up a stainless steel tray!

Quick Reply: WARNING..Gibson headers