Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Warn XD9000 too hot

Old 10-23-2013, 08:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Warn XD9000 too hot

So I mounted the used XD9000 on my bumper and was spooling in the new synthetic line with the end hooked up to my Bronco and my parking brake barely on doing 6 feet at a time waiting a few minutes between pulls...

By the time the drum was filled with the first pass of rope, it had already become soft and looked waxy and was really hot! I believe the service temp is 165 degrees on this rope

What are your thoughts? Makes me wonder how hot it will get under an actually heavy load?

After that, I unhooked everything and just spooled the rest in only under hand tension because I didn't want to make things worse. So now my line has no pre-load

What should I do now?
Old 10-23-2013, 07:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A shout out to warn wouldn't be uncalled for, ask them why it's getting so warm.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk
Old 10-23-2013, 08:22 PM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Yea cause I pulled my xd9000i all the way in the same way hooked up to a truck with a Lil brake pressure and I only stopped once for maybe 30sec and kept going and mine was hot but not burning up.... I'd call warn

Sent from my obama monitoring device
Old 10-24-2013, 05:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Just checking but you are spooling under right? They will get warm spooling out because it has to work against the brake but it shouldn't get very warm spooling in.
Old 10-24-2013, 01:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Rob 12B1P
Just checking but you are spooling under right? They will get warm spooling out because it has to work against the brake but it shouldn't get very warm spooling in.
Yes...

I will give them a call then. Thanks guys, I'll report back what they have to say
Old 10-25-2013, 11:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since you mentioned it was used ... wonder if you have some rust build up around the drum or in the brake that is causing friction.

I'm just finishing a rebuild of an older Warn (8274 not XD9000). It was amazing how much rust there was around the drum ends and in the brake.

If you have a Harbor Freight in the area ... they sell an infrared thermometer for under $20 ... that would let you see the actual temp.

Last edited by nickcoleman; 10-25-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nickcoleman
If you have a Harbor Freight in the area ... they sell an infrared thermometer for under $20 ... that would let you see the actual temp.
Good idea. I'll try that.

When I emailed warn they pretty much said "If the drum is getting really hot I would question if the brake is hanging up" and went on to say "Also, our brakes do have a tendency to get hot, just the nature of our winches."
Then reminded me that their warn Spydura synthetic has a heat shield sewn on for that reason...

I called Viking just to see what their thoughts were and see if I could buy the heat shield. He pointed out that the heat shield warn provides isn't even long enough to cover the entire length of the drum on the first pass and if the drum is hot, it is going to be hot all the way up the side too so whatever rope is touching the sides on the additional layers will get hot as well.

Maybe I just need to tear it down and take a look at the condition of the innards.

Quick Reply: Warn XD9000 too hot