Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Warn winch dissembly

Old 12-19-2011, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ratso
I am in no way an expert on this, but rust= water penetration, which should not happen if the winch is new (unless it has been submerged!). BTW, has it been submerged?

Also, there does seem to be a lot of grease on that thing...when you rebuild it, you will not need that much.

Your best bet regarding replacement parts is to call WARN and/or look on their website for authorized dealers. Here's a link to one nearest you: http://www.warn.com/corporate/authservicecenters.shtml

I used Hoax's 4 Wheel Drive in West Virginia. Overall, they were very helpful and nice.

Good luck on the rebuild! I used plenty of brake cleaner to degrease my M8000. For what it's worth, I sanded it down and painted everything, too. I figured that since I had come that far, might as well rebuild the whole damn thing! Ended up not saving a penny, but had a blast!
Thanks for the info, really helps brother. The winch was never submerged and while i was taking it apart I noticed it had no gaskets (I was pretty dissapointed)
Old 12-20-2011, 04:55 AM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I forgot to mention it, but I second the last post about greasing the gaskets. I would, however, get some new ones from Warn to replace the old ones since you have come this far.

Best of luck!
Old 12-20-2011, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK11Miami

A lot of these winches have a crappy paper gasket in the gear housing. Before reassembly, degrease your gears to get that crappy chinese lube off and the re-lube with something decent. Don't throw away that paper gasket though. You can apply a nice layer of grease on it to help keep water out. I was thinking of applying black silicone to the seams of the housing but was worried about heat buildup being able to escape. Sounds silly I guess but I was just being cautious.
Yes that's exactly what I did when I buttoned her up. I was thinking about going by the hardware store to see of they have a gasket that would fit, but I keep thinking they didn't put them in there for some reason
Old 12-20-2011, 07:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

I forgot to mention it, but I second the last post about greasing the gaskets. I would, however, get some new ones from Warn to replace the old ones since you have come this far.

Best of luck!
Well I think the gaskets were fine how they were and they seemed to be more along the lines of some awkward plastic than paper it was to tough to be paper but to thick to be a gasket
Old 12-20-2011, 08:37 AM
Former Member

Sounds like your gaskets were still o.k., then. BTW, I (again) agree with a previous post about being careful not to entirely seal up the winch. I almost did this when I rebuilt mine (because I wanted to "water-proof" it) but realized that when the motor gets hot, condensation will occur as it cools and this condesation needs to be able to leave the motor housing through evaporation. Therefore, I did not seal the winch, but just put a thin film of grease on the gaskets, etc. This should allow the motor to "breath" and prevent excess moisture build-up inside the winch
Old 12-20-2011, 09:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like your gaskets were still o.k., then. BTW, I (again) agree with a previous post about being careful not to entirely seal up the winch. I almost did this when I rebuilt mine (because I wanted to "water-proof" it) but realized that when the motor gets hot, condensation will occur as it cools and this condesation needs to be able to leave the motor housing through evaporation. Therefore, I did not seal the winch, but just put a thin film of grease on the gaskets, etc. This should allow the motor to "breath" and prevent excess moisture build-up inside the winch
What kind of problems do you think would happen of its fully sealed?
Old 12-20-2011, 11:33 AM
JK Super Freak

i currently have mine torn apart. the gear side was full of water and the motor side only dried dirt. gear side had the paper gasket motor side had nothing. this is the first time ive pulled it apart and it was bought brand new. any ideas on how/ why?

could i use rtv instead of the [aper gasket on the gear side?

Last edited by JdTms11; 12-20-2011 at 11:35 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JdTms11
i currently have mine torn apart. the gear side was full of water and the motor side only dried dirt. gear side had the paper gasket motor side had nothing. this is the first time ive pulled it apart and it was bought brand new. any ideas on how/ why?

could i use rtv instead of the [aper gasket on the gear side?
I'm
Not quite sure what that is but I'm trying to
Find some of those thin plastic gaskets
Old 12-21-2011, 08:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JK11Miami
A bigger threat to your winch than water is heat. If your winch overheats you will burn the motor out. I know, it's happened to me.
I dredge mine through the south Florida swamps when wheeling and it always works on command. Don't let freshwater freak you out. These winches are heavy duty and little mud, dirt and water in it's inner workings ain't going to stop them. I would even say it's normal. my
Considering that your in Florida I gotta believe you on that one. Do you ever take apart the winch to clean it? How often?
Old 12-21-2011, 01:24 PM
Former Member

Yes...some moisture is acceptable and not preventable, however, water is also something that will and can cause corrosion over time. This is especially true for the internal components of a winch (particularly the motor housing), which will get hot during/after use.

My understanding is that all winches are designed to let the moisture that will inevitably accumulate in/by the motor a way out. As I was mentioning before, if you entirely seal the winch up (aka making it 100% waterproof), you would essentially be preventing the natural condensation that is related to the heating and cooling of the motor, from anywhere to go. This would cause water to sit in the motor housing, and eveutally, I think, go throughout the other mechanical parts of the winch if there are any openings. All this water would cause premature corrosion.

Quick Reply: Warn winch dissembly