Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Which Warn Winch

Old 03-09-2010, 06:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by karmirjk
huh?

Im comparing 2 things that do the same thing. bottom line is how it pulls and how many times without failure. Ok the power plant has a comprassor on it. thats my bad I didnt relise that. Im just looking at it form a practical point of view. spend the extra $1000 on something useful like bumpers or a lift or even a On Board Air with a York, Im sure it wont cost you 1k.

btw, HF just replaces the winch altogether, paid $70 for 3 year warrenty.. Dont get me wrong warns an exellent company, but for me.. there warn left me hanging in the hammers, when I called Warn they told me to take a hyke because i bought my winch like 3 years before (which i idnt use all that much).

EDIT
time and time again Ive seen these HF winches on big super duties around were I live. and not once have I heard any of them fail. Read some of the reviews for this thing on the web. THis is all my opinion, Im just stating my experiance with both winches, Im not arguing with any of the posters here...

Your $$$ ,do what you want.
I agree and you've got me tempted to stop over by HF tomorrow and check it out. For that price i could buy a couple if one did break. I'm thinking of going with ARB lockers so an external compressor is probably the way I'll go anyway.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:19 PM
JK Freak

the winch on the pp is the same as a TI. the air comp kicks holy ass. the weight combined is less than comp and winch and tank seperate.

th PP is big if you don't like the looks go your own way (TI). but fuck you can't knock the PP.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Ok now you got me shoppin'....

Warn XD9000i
Rated Line Pull: 9,000 lbs. single-line
Motor: 12V 4.6 hp, 24V 2.5 hp, Series Wound
Geartrain: 3-Stage Planetary
Gear Ratio: 156:1
Brake: Automatic Direct Drive Cone
Weight: 85 lbs
Wire Rope: 125', 5/16" diameter
Price: $1,259.99

WARN M6000
Rated Line Pull: 6,000 lbs. single-line
Motor: 12V 4.8 hp, 24V 2.1 hp, Series Wound
Gear Ratio: 156:1
Weight: 74 lbs
Wire Rope: 80', 5/16" diameter
Price: $899.99

Warn M8000
Rated Line Pull: 8,000 lbs. (3630 kgs) single-line
Motor: 12V 4.8 hp, Series Wound
Gear Ratio: 216:1
Weight: 74 lbs
Wire Rope: 100', 5/16"
Price: $539.99 (4wd PN 26502 )

Chicago Electric Power Tools (HF)
Rated Line Pull: 5500 lbs. single line
Motor: 3.4 HP, 12 volt, permanent magnetic motor
Geartrain: Three-stage planetary
Gear Ratio: 294:1 gear ratio
Brake: Automatic load-holding brake
Weight: 58 lbs
Wire Rope: 80 ft. of 1/4" cable
Price: $329.99

Road Shock (HF)
Rated Line Pull: 8000 lbs
Motor: 12 volts, 4.1 HP, 7.5 amps
Geartrain: Three-stage planetary
Gear Ratio: 210:1
Brake: Automatic load-holding brake
Weight: 106 lbs
Wire Rope: 94ft of 5/16" cablet
Price: $359.99

Last edited by ibjeepr; 03-09-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 03-09-2010, 06:30 PM
JK Freak

Those above load ratings are 1st wrap ratings....please tell more about the 4th wrap ratings. Load rating get's less with each wrap. So what happens when you only have a short but life saving pull? Better make sure the winch can hold a 5000lbs jeep on the forth wrap......and a 1/4" cable is considered small for our heavy jeeps. I'd say 5/16th min....and if you use the "snatch block" arguement you only have 40ft of usable distance, very short...

For the saftey of those you and those you wheel with, please stay away from a 5-6K winch. 8K+

Also, with a weaker winch you'll be maxing out the motor more often. Hope you battery system can take these huge amp spikes. The larger the winch the less you stress it.

I'm not going to get in the brand arguement. You'll hear a hundred stories of Warn failing but you'll hear another hundred stories of other brands performing flawlessly.

Happy wheeling!
Old 03-09-2010, 06:33 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by FlameRed
Those above load ratings are 1st wrap ratings....!
from what I understand theres no across the board rating system, Warn uses one for all winch's but other companys dont follow the same system
Old 03-09-2010, 06:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FlameRed
Those above load ratings are 1st wrap ratings....please tell more about the 4th wrap ratings. Load rating get's less with each wrap. So what happens when you only have a short but life saving pull? Better make sure the winch can hold a 5000lbs jeep on the forth wrap......and a 1/4" cable is considered small for our heavy jeeps. I'd say 5/16th min....and if you use the "snatch block" arguement you only have 40ft of usable distance, very short...

For the saftey of those you and those you wheel with, please stay away from a 5-6K winch. 8K+

Also, with a weaker winch you'll be maxing out the motor more often. Hope you battery system can take these huge amp spikes. The larger the winch the less you stress it.

I'm not going to get in the brand arguement. You'll hear a hundred stories of Warn failing but you'll hear another hundred stories of other brands performing flawlessly.

Happy wheeling!
None of the web siters gave a 4 layer rating. 5/16 is better than 1/4. Based on the rule of thumb of 1.5 x GVWR, yes 6500-8000 lbs is recommended.
Also you didn't mention that the Series wound motor on the warns is a better choice than the Permanent magnet ones from HF.

Last edited by ibjeepr; 03-09-2010 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:49 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx
you can't compare a top of the line warn to a hf winch... you just can't.....
you sound like thos "im with my country right or wrong" type of guy

I sure as hell can compare them and god damn I will... why do you think these forums are created, so people can talk, share, compare, knowledge and experiances.

how do you know its "top of the line"? because its the most expensive? and warns been around for a long time? give me a f*cking break, start thinking outside the box there buddy... companys like warn can only ride that xx year history train for so long. Its called marketing dynamics, and Warn captalizes on that, for example offering free winches to competing guys, if not free, then very good discounts. why do you think they do that? Everyone on the pro level has one, warn dumps millions in advertising its name, and you my friend, fall victim to it very quickly. how many times have u seen HF winch get advertised? does that mine it sucks? no. does it mean its the best? probably not. Companies love customers like you. I can crap on a stick and tag the most expensive and people will buy it just cuz of that... welcome to modern branding and marketing. My HF pulled a 1 ton rig from a mud pit 3feet deep covering most of the 44" boggers, oh by the way thats AFTER a warn 9.5i failed doing the same atempt. only negative to my HF winch is its a bit slow. but who cares im not competing. I took out the gear face plate and used some extra silicone cuz for some reason it wasnt really water tight. it has been my mule ever since...

all jokes set aside, get off your warns the best band wagon and try to open up your mind. dont just open up your wallet cuz of what you see in ads and pricetags... stop being so ignorant.. look around, ask questions, have an open mind...

I would think grown people would see through all this marketing BS and give every product a fair chance and comparison
I have one and Im happy, if this HF winch cost just as much as a warn, Ill buy the HF without hesitation. I dont need a $800 dollar red "W" sticker in front of my winch to proove to people i have good shit.

Do you think having a Harbor Freight winch is embarrassing? at first yes. cmon you think if people come to you at a trail and ask you were u got your whinch, your gonna tell them harbor frieght? to most people.. thats like not possible, it would be the same as telling people you have a small penis. but a warn on the other hand, its what everybody else carries so I dont want to be the retard not carring it. Just something to think about. my own little theory. LOOK WAAAY DOWN INSIDE OF YOU... YOU KNOW IM RIGHT

BTW: its all about gear ratios right? take a second look at the planetary gear ratios for all the winches, take a look at which puts least stress on their motors...

Last edited by karmirjk; 03-10-2010 at 04:05 AM.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well, I don't know what to say about that last post, nothing like a winch question to bring out a myriad of discussion points. If anybody cares I ended up buying a Warn PowerPlant from notherridge4x4. Well actually, as mentioned I tried a cheaper site, but I got what I paid for (sent me the wrong winch). Anyway, it was a real pain squeezing that thing on my LoD bumper, but man it pulls nice and the compressor kicks the snot out of my shop pancake style compressor. I may only use it once a year, but I am confident that it won't let me down. And if it does, I'll be on the forum whining about how warn sucks. :-)
BTW i appreciate everyones helpful suggestions, and happy wheeling.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
Like you I am still looking for a good air compressor for a decent price.
Take a look at the smittybilt dual air compressor, sold at 4wd for $160, it provides more oomph than a number of expensive onboard air systems.

There is a separate thread on compressors but I'm on mobile so cannot link for you. 'Search' will find it
Old 03-11-2010, 03:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karmirjk
huh?

Im comparing 2 things that do the same thing. bottom line is how it pulls and how many times without failure. Ok the power plant has a comprassor on it. thats my bad I didnt relise that. Im just looking at it form a practical point of view. spend the extra $1000 on something useful like bumpers or a lift or even a On Board Air with a York, Im sure it wont cost you 1k.

btw, HF just replaces the winch altogether, paid $70 for 3 year warrenty.. Dont get me wrong warns an exellent company, but for me.. there warn left me hanging in the hammers, when I called Warn they told me to take a hyke because i bought my winch like 3 years before (which i idnt use all that much).

EDIT
time and time again Ive seen these HF winches on big super duties around were I live. and not once have I heard any of them fail. Read some of the reviews for this thing on the web. THis is all my opinion, Im just stating my experiance with both winches, Im not arguing with any of the posters here...

Your $$$ ,do what you want.
In your first post, the Warn was your friends' winch and burned up, now it's yours??? I'm confused. Why would you be calling Warn about your friends' winch? Oh, and you don't call Warn, you call an authorized service center. I bought my 9.5ti from a liquidation site and it was freight damaged. I called the closest service center, they sent replacement parts, and walked me through the rebuild over the phone, all free of charge. They even warranteed the broken winch remote. After fixing it, this thing has been a beast!!! I pulled a Chevy 2500 out of a lake with water running through the cab and up a 2 foot drop off. I pulled a 1 ton bucket van that was buried to the frame out of a field. There is a definite reason to go Warn.

Quick Reply: Which Warn Winch