Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Which Warn Winch

Old 01-25-2010, 04:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Warn Winch

I know, I know this has probably been asked a million times in a million different ways. I've searched read and reread everything. But long story short, my B-day/xmas present was to be a Warn winch (my choice) I picked the PowerPlant 9500. But it seems the place I bought it from and Warn shipped the wrong one to me. (A 9.5 xp). So I can wait until the 15th of Feb for a Power Plant or get a Ti right now. So I am waffling over the decision, the price diff is $200 more for the PP. I only do light duty stuff (expeditions) and I am mostly stock. So I don't know if I need the compressor for air-ups etc..
Anybody have advice for a clueless newbie??

DD
Old 01-25-2010, 04:35 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The powerplant is basically a TI with a compressor so if you need air go for the powerplant.

Also the TI is a awesome winch.

David
Old 01-25-2010, 04:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

schmugboy, If I were you id get the Ti and a stand alone compressor.. the powerplant is too big IMO

And IMO the Ti is the BEST looking winch on the market
Old 01-25-2010, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Good/valid points. I am concerned about the weight and I could buy a stand alone compressor hopefully something better than a walmart special. But I haven't found one that is relatively inexpensive and powerful enough to run an air tool if needed.
Still thinking, maybe I need to sleep on it.

DD
Old 01-25-2010, 04:57 PM
JK Newbie

Ive seen the T.I fail numerious times.
a buddy tried to pull a 1 ton on 44s off out of an Azusa Canyon Mud pit. . it was toast after 3 or 4 attemps, turns out he fryed the selenoids after it overheaded..

Some Nobody came and used his winch I never seen before, thing pulled and kept on pulling without stop. yes it was slow... but it never stopped. the Truck was barried to the frame rails deep in thick mud. I was suprised when I asked the guy what type of winch he was using.. $350.00 from harborfreight. these days 1.2k you spend on a winch is 80% Brand name. spend an extra $200 and get yourself a stand alone compressor if you like.. and use the extra $800 on something usefull for your jeep.

Afterwards I bought one for myself and Personally have used it on myself and some friends... I cant be more happy, gives me less trouble than my Warn 8000 did.

$1,300 for a winch? please.....

Last edited by karmirjk; 01-25-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by karmirjk
these days 1.2k you spend on a winch is 80% Brand name.
$1,300 for a winch? please.....
I have an 1981 CJ-7 that came from the factory with a Warn M8274-50 and to this day it still pulls. if it was burried to the frame rails, yall should of double lined the winch rope.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:11 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rcdude3
I have an 1981 CJ-7 that came from the factory with a Warn M8274-50 and to this day it still pulls. if it was burried to the frame rails, yall should of double lined the winch rope.
in 1981 there werent too many manufacturers that were making Winches.. but now there are, winch technology and companies competing has come a long way.. theres absolutly no reason that I can think of to charge 4x the price of a winch that costs 400 which does the same exact thing if not better.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

I bought the 9.5ti as I have heard really good things about it and been saved a few times in the past by the very same model.

I would have bought the powerplant, but since it does not fit in the AEV bumper I couldnt. The Powerplant is easy and its all right there for you, so even during small jobs where you'll need a shot of air it is really handy to have.
Old 01-25-2010, 10:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by karmirjk
theres absolutly no reason that I can think of to charge 4x the price of a winch that costs 400 which does the same exact thing if not better.
because people will pay for it.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:53 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by schmugboy
... I only do light duty stuff (expeditions) and I am mostly stock. So I don't know if I need the compressor for air-ups etc ...
Originally Posted by racer83l
... the powerplant is too big IMO ...
I've found that the air, not surprisingly, is the feature I use the most on my PowerPlant. It's useful for bicycle tires, trailer tires, airing up after wheeling (airing down on "expeditions" will provide a lot smoother ride on those washboard roads), etc. Sure, you can do it with a separate air compressor, but why hassle with that when the PowerPlant is so very convenient? Here's one of the few bumpers that makes this winch look properly sized (Shrockworks):

Quick Reply: Which Warn Winch