Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Warn Powerplant vs other winches plus onboard air

Old 07-22-2010, 11:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warn Powerplant vs other winches plus onboard air

Any warn powerplant owners out there have regrets in going with that option vs another winch AND onboard air? Or folks that went with a winch and onboard air that wish they had just bit the bullet and bought the Powerplant?

Am leaning towards the powerplant and would like both capabilities.

Thanks for the insight.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:20 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I bought the powerplant it was the only thing available. It works very well and is very fast for filling tires. With that said if I had it to do again I would go with OBA and a separate winch. My reasoning is that for the same $ as the powerplant you can get a winch and OBA and be more capable than the powerplant alone.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

I went with the Powerplant and love it. I don't have to mess around with anything. I can just go and know my compressor and winch is all right there on the front bumper. The compressor is fast enough for airing up tires and the winch is a warn. What else to you need?
Old 07-22-2010, 12:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by KenB1010
When I bought the powerplant it was the only thing available. It works very well and is very fast for filling tires. With that said if I had it to do again I would go with OBA and a separate winch. My reasoning is that for the same $ as the powerplant you can get a winch and OBA and be more capable than the powerplant alone.
When you say more capable, are you referring to the OBA portion?
Old 07-22-2010, 02:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by KenB1010
Not necessarily. The PowerPlant has some of the best specs of the OBA crowd. Unless you go top-dollar or with an engine-mount compressor, you'll have a hard time finding much with specs better than the PowerPlant. As their ads state: "Best in class".

Also, while Warn doesn't state what the duty cycle is, the PowerPlant as a thermal protection cutoff switch. I have personally used the PP to air up 8 35" tires non-stop without issue. Check the duty cycle of the OBA before you decide if it's up to the task.

The main issue with the PP is the standard 1/2 gallon intercooler/tank. If you couple it to, say, a 2 1/2 gallon external tank, it would really be tough to beat - IMO.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:09 PM
JK Freak

i like the PP. it is faster at filling tires than anybody i hit the trails with.

i am going to add an air tank and a remote on off switch with air gauge.

it will be a sweet air system.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:55 PM
JK Junkie

Superwinch EPi9.0 and a self-made York engine driven OBA. Between the 2, same price as a Powerplant except 3 times as fast airing up and I can run air tools.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:41 PM
JK Freak

Yes, with OBA you can run a tank which will get you the volume to run air tools
Old 07-23-2010, 01:05 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

I love my PowerPlant. I've used it to fill eight 35s and my four 33s after trail runs several times. Works like a charm. Air tools? I have a whole set of air tools--in my garage. Can't imagine that I'd ever carry air tools, so that's a non-factor for me.

I'm also surprised someone hasn't mentioned the old "when one fails, you lose both to have it repaired" argument. I don't see that as a big issue. I'll just have to do what so many others do: Depend on someone else to have a compressor (or a nearby service station--LOL) and winch (or depend on my Hi-Lift for winching--ugh!).

BTW: The Warn PowerPlant is very reliable. And those who have had problems, have generally commented that Warn has been right on top of getting them the part to get it operational again.
Old 07-23-2010, 05:21 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend has a Powerplant on his Jeep. I've used it to help him air up his tires, and it works well for that. I understand that the air compressor runs even when you're just using the winch though. Doesn't that make for a rather noisy annoying winch compared to others?

Quick Reply: Warn Powerplant vs other winches plus onboard air