Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Warn PowerPlant problem

Old 01-11-2016, 05:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Warn PowerPlant problem

My PowerPlant took a dump. Neither the winch or compressor work. I hear clicking noises when I try to pull line in or out. It still free spools fine in both directions. I tried bypassing the thermo sensor ( Warn Powerplant Quick Fix - ) and still no luck. The light on my controller doesn't light up at all either.

Anyone have any idea what it could be? I'm not the original owner, so no warranty for me.
Old 01-11-2016, 06:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BoraBora
My PowerPlant took a dump. Neither the winch or compressor work. I hear clicking noises when I try to pull line in or out. It still free spools fine in both directions. I tried bypassing the thermo sensor ( Warn Powerplant Quick Fix - ) and still no luck. The light on my controller doesn't light up at all either. Anyone have any idea what it could be? I'm not the original owner, so no warranty for me.
No worries, warn only warranties the electrical for a year anyway. Like most winches, they fail after the first year. That said, in the last two years, I've seen three winches fail. Two warn Zeons on their first pull and a warn cti on its second pull. No joke. I've spared no expense on my build and I run a $450 Engo. Had a small issue out or warranty and they sent a new box no questions asked. Call Warn and see what they'll do for you....
Old 01-11-2016, 11:34 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

I had a different problem with my five year old Warn PowerPlant (now seven years old and running just fine). It would spool out, but not spool in. I contacted Warn and they sent me these instructions. The solenoid was bad. It is not cheap--around $230 IIRC.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	792
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	634367Click image for larger version

Name:	Image2.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	634368

While I had the PowerPlant apart I also regreased the gears. The lever for shifting direction had become very stiff and almost impossible to move. Took care of that, but boy there are a lot of tiny, complex gears inside of that and they all will fall out if you're not very careful!

Quick Reply: Warn PowerPlant problem