Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Warn PowerPlant Dual Force Winch: Worth It?

Old 05-06-2007, 06:59 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warn PowerPlant Dual Force Winch: Worth It?

Hey everybody,

I have read the reviews raving over the Warn PowerPlant Winch and I was just wondering, in all practicality, besides airing up your tires on the trail, what the actual value of having the air compressor shoehorned on the front of your jeep is. I'm just wondering if any of yall have used one and really feel like it's a necessity on the trail or just a very expensive toy. It looks cool and I would be glad to have one, but I'm just wondering if I should pony up the extra dinero for the compressor if I'm not going to use it often.

Thanks

el dentist
Old 05-07-2007, 01:18 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd be nervous about two vital off-road components in the same machine. if it fails, and you are relying on it, you are out both air and recovery...and i'm pretty sure you can get a winch and on-board air separately cheaper...
Old 05-07-2007, 03:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wouldn't count it to run any air tools.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

It could run air tools, that thing puts out 5 CFM @ 90 PSI, enought to run most air tools.

That being said, I still decided to go with a different OBA set up and winch. I will be running A Viar 450C constant duty system and a T-Max EW-10000. It may not flow as much air, but will be about $3-400 cheaper than the Warn Set up.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:02 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by el dentist
Hey everybody,

I have read the reviews raving over the Warn PowerPlant Winch and I was just wondering, in all practicality, besides airing up your tires on the trail, what the actual value of having the air compressor shoehorned on the front of your jeep is. I'm just wondering if any of yall have used one and really feel like it's a necessity on the trail or just a very expensive toy. It looks cool and I would be glad to have one, but I'm just wondering if I should pony up the extra dinero for the compressor if I'm not going to use it often.

Thanks

el dentist
"Necessity"? No, not really but it is cool to have and it does work quite well.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:02 AM
JK Newbie

If the question is "Is an air compressor necessary?" then, YES. Tire damage is the single most common problem off-pavement. Not only should you carry some type of air compressor (even a $50 plug-into-your-lighter type), but you should become proficient with a tire plug kit.

If the question is "Do I need the Warn Powerplant?" then, only you can decide what works best for your needs. They have a very high "cool factor", but I have not used one long enough yet to know its long term practicality. I would tend to agree with the opinions above--two separate systems may take up more space, but could be less problematic if you are a heavy user.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:11 AM
JK Freak

Space is very limited under the hood of the JK. The Warn powerplant will let you use what space is available under the hood for other things like a welder,battery,etc...
Old 05-07-2007, 03:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeffmarion
It could run air tools, that thing puts out 5 CFM @ 90 PSI, enought to run most air tools.

Not many, and not without an aux. airtank, this is directly off Warn's website:

PowerPlant Auxiliary Air Tanks
Provides instant high volume air charge for air locker setups, operating air tools, reseating tire beads and simple tire inflation. Required to operate some types of pneumatic tools.
PN 73938 2.5 gallon capacity
PN 73939 5 gallon capacity
Old 05-07-2007, 05:37 PM
JK Newbie

No.
too tall, too pricey and not enouh CFMs

For the price I can get a decnt winch and a home built york/sanden on boad air system.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by John L
Not many, and not without an aux. airtank, this is directly off Warn's website:

PowerPlant Auxiliary Air Tanks
Provides instant high volume air charge for air locker setups, operating air tools, reseating tire beads and simple tire inflation. Required to operate some types of pneumatic tools.
PN 73938 2.5 gallon capacity
PN 73939 5 gallon capacity
5 CFM at 90 PSI will run alot of impacts and air wrenches, granted I would rather have an air tank, but it will work fine. You will not be able to reseat tire beads and run air lockers with out a tank though.

Read that last sentence again Required to operate some types of pneumatic tools.

Quick Reply: Warn PowerPlant Dual Force Winch: Worth It?