Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Warn Powerplant Air Compressor Vs. Viair X'treme Duty Onboard Air System

Old 09-06-2012, 10:17 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GJeep,
Im feelin everything your saying man.

All,
Thanks for working with me on this. I just pulled the trigger and ordered the ARB Twin.
ARB On-Board High Performance 12 Volt Twin Air Compressor (CKMTA12)

It was a tough call. Turns out that the VIAIR with the Tank would meet the CFM needs but I have a 2012 and really couldnt think of an easy way to mount the entire system cleanly. The ARB had the CFM rating as will as the capability to install a tank later on (which is what Ill probably do). It also packaged sweetly. It was more money but I think Ill be happier in the long run.

I plan on installing it on the back door. Just need to figure out if there an some bracket I can buy to avoid having to fabricate something.
Old 09-06-2012, 12:06 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You're welcome. Good luck
Old 10-05-2012, 09:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by powrsurg
GJeep,
Im feelin everything your saying man.

All,
Thanks for working with me on this. I just pulled the trigger and ordered the ARB Twin.
ARB On-Board High Performance 12 Volt Twin Air Compressor (CKMTA12)

It was a tough call. Turns out that the VIAIR with the Tank would meet the CFM needs but I have a 2012 and really couldnt think of an easy way to mount the entire system cleanly. The ARB had the CFM rating as will as the capability to install a tank later on (which is what Ill probably do). It also packaged sweetly. It was more money but I think Ill be happier in the long run.

Okay, so what exaclty did you buy and how do you like it? I am getting frustrated with trying to figure out a "clean" system for my 2012. I have little experience but from what I can glean, it seems the Power Plant is the cleanest system of all and everything else has to be hodge-podged on to the 2012 JK. I just sent off my XD9000i for warranty work so I am not that excited to buy another Warn product, but DAYAMN what's a guy to get for a 2012 and not have to do a bunch of custom fab work? Not only that but I am hearing that viair systems arent even as good as an AC compressor so why spend all the dough? -Then again I have not experience here. Advice?
Old 10-06-2012, 12:17 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by flienlow
Okay, so what exaclty did you buy and how do you like it? I am getting frustrated with trying to figure out a "clean" system for my 2012. I have little experience but from what I can glean, it seems the Power Plant is the cleanest system of all and everything else has to be hodge-podged on to the 2012 JK. I just sent off my XD9000i for warranty work so I am not that excited to buy another Warn product, but DAYAMN what's a guy to get for a 2012 and not have to do a bunch of custom fab work? Not only that but I am hearing that viair systems arent even as good as an AC compressor so why spend all the dough? -Then again I have not experience here. Advice?
If you are looking for the cleanest install, go with the Powerplant. If your looking for the most power with the flexibility to add a tank later, get the ARB twin. If you go with the ARB, you will have to custom fab a bracket to cleanly install it in the back. There is an option and you can get the Mole Gear from ebay.
jk molle gear | eBay
Old 10-06-2012, 10:03 PM
JK Freak

I've had my PowerPlant installed since 2007 and its been great. when I bought the jeep the PowerPlant was the best tool available to do the job and it remains bolted to the front of my jeep to this day. That said, if I was doing this install with the products that are available today I would use a winch and a separate air compressor. My justification of this statement is that I can buy better components for CHEAPER than I can buy the PowerPlant for today.

also as several people talk about air tools and CFM flow in this thread, my opinion is that the current compressors and tanks that are available are not sufficient the run air tools at a reasonable price. It is much more efficient and cheaper to carry a good inverter, an extension cord and whatever power tools that you feel you need. You also probably already own the power tools that you would need anyway. I personally carry an inverter to power my dewalt 4.5" grinder along with cutoff wheels and grinding wheels. I've used this several times on the trail for repairs and to support welding operations with a grinder.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:30 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by KenB1010
I've had my PowerPlant installed since 2007 and its been great. when I bought the jeep the PowerPlant was the best tool available to do the job and it remains bolted to the front of my jeep to this day. That said, if I was doing this install with the products that are available today I would use a winch and a separate air compressor. My justification of this statement is that I can buy better components for CHEAPER than I can buy the PowerPlant for today.

also as several people talk about air tools and CFM flow in this thread, my opinion is that the current compressors and tanks that are available are not sufficient the run air tools at a reasonable price. It is much more efficient and cheaper to carry a good inverter, an extension cord and whatever power tools that you feel you need. You also probably already own the power tools that you would need anyway. I personally carry an inverter to power my dewalt 4.5" grinder along with cutoff wheels and grinding wheels. I've used this several times on the trail for repairs and to support welding operations with a grinder.
Good points. I have a rubicon which comes with the power inverter. For the situations I will ever find myself in, the CFM rating of the ARB Twin with a small tank, will get me out of anything. WHat I didnt consider was hairier situations where something like a grinder would be needed.

SO can we agree on the following.
1) If you want to have the capability to air up tires only, get an air compressor
2) If you want to have the capability to air up tires and run powertools up to a certain point, get a compressor and and an air tank.
3) If you are a hard core offroader where things tend to break, a good inverter would be preferable. Still, a compressor would be needed for airing up tires.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Good points. I have a rubicon which comes with the power inverter. For the situations I will ever find myself in, the CFM rating of the ARB Twin with a small tank, will get me out of anything. WHat I didnt consider was hairier situations where something like a grinder would be needed.

SO can we agree on the following.
1) If you want to have the capability to air up tires only, get an air compressor
2) If you want to have the capability to air up tires and run powertools up to a certain point, get a compressor and and an air tank.
3) If you are a hard core offroader where things tend to break, a good inverter would be preferable. Still, a compressor would be needed for airing up tires.

Ok, so I fit into the #2 category above. Now what (exactly) Should I get that will fit/work on a 2012?
Old 10-07-2012, 11:40 AM
JK Freak

i dont have experience with either of these products, but ill toss in my opinion... id would much rather have air and winch seperate. eventually something is going to break / give out and its much easier and cheaper to replace a single dedicated unit than it is a dual purpose unit.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by flienlow
Ok, so I fit into the #2 category above. Now what (exactly) Should I get that will fit/work on a 2012?
Most people look to install their compressor under the hood with a braket. There is nothing on the market now to my knowledge that uses a bracket for the 2012. Dominion I know for a fact is building a kit that uses a ViAir compressor and a 2.5 gallon tank. I dont know how much they are going to charge.

You have to decide for yourself what is most important, clean install or power. I went the route of power. I bought the ARB Twin compressor. Its currently sitting in my back. I need to custom fab something or buy the Molle Bracket from EBAY. That would solve the problem of cleanly installing the compressor but not the tank.

IF you go with ARB Twin, you wil not need a compressor immediately. Nor would I buy one immediatly. It has the highest CFM rating for any on board air system out there from what I can see. ITs also 100% duty cycle which means it doesnt have to stop to col down. Its powerfull enough to air up 4 37 inch tires in 10 minutes. Its also powerfull enough to run an air ratchet. If you want to use bigger tools, you wil need a tank with a 3/8 in opening. All On Board Air et up have 1/4 inch outlets. THis is only good for lower level air tools.

I am doing the following. I have the ARB twin. Im buying a 2.5 - 5 gallon tank. Have not made up my mind on tank size yet. The tank will have a 3/8in port so I can use a 3/8in house and 3/8 in tools. I will get about 30 seconds of constant air from a 5 gallon tank at which point the compessor will kick on. SInce the compressor has a 1/4 in outlet and the tank a 3/8in outlet. You will eventually get to the point where you are trying to use more air than the compressor and fill the tank with.

If you find yourself hitting this point a lot, get the Inverter. If you never reach that point, which I know I wil not, then with with a set up similar to what I am getting. The ARB Twin is a must however
Old 10-07-2012, 07:02 PM
JK Junkie

Most people look to install their compressor under the hood with a braket. There is nothing on the market now to my knowledge that uses a bracket for the 2012. Dominion I know for a fact is building a kit that uses a ViAir compressor and a 2.5 gallon tank. I dont know how much they are going to charge.

You have to decide for yourself what is most important, clean install or power. I went the route of power. I bought the ARB Twin compressor. Its currently sitting in my back. I need to custom fab something or buy the Molle Bracket from EBAY. That would solve the problem of cleanly installing the compressor but not the tank.

IF you go with ARB Twin, you wil not need a compressor immediately. Nor would I buy one immediatly. It has the highest CFM rating for any on board air system out there from what I can see. ITs also 100% duty cycle which means it doesnt have to stop to col down. Its powerfull enough to air up 4 37 inch tires in 10 minutes. Its also powerfull enough to run an air ratchet. If you want to use bigger tools, you wil need a tank with a 3/8 in opening. All On Board Air et up have 1/4 inch outlets. THis is only good for lower level air tools.

I am doing the following. I have the ARB twin. Im buying a 2.5 - 5 gallon tank. Have not made up my mind on tank size yet. The tank will have a 3/8in port so I can use a 3/8in house and 3/8 in tools. I will get about 30 seconds of constant air from a 5 gallon tank at which point the compessor will kick on. SInce the compressor has a 1/4 in outlet and the tank a 3/8in outlet. You will eventually get to the point where you are trying to use more air than the compressor and fill the tank with.

If you find yourself hitting this point a lot, get the Inverter. If you never reach that point, which I know I wil not, then with with a set up similar to what I am getting. The ARB Twin is a must however
What is the power plant rating? I thought it was pretty impressive airing up my 38's under 10 mins.

Quick Reply: Warn Powerplant Air Compressor Vs. Viair X'treme Duty Onboard Air System