Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Warn Powerplant Air Compressor Vs. Viair X'treme Duty Onboard Air System

Old 09-05-2012, 06:02 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, ill stop beating around the bush. Im not experienced in these matters but here is my gut concern. The Warn PP with Air to me in my ignorant state, is like a John Deere mower that comes with a camera. The mower will be one of the best you ever had but what does JD know about making cameras? Now the PP is a great winch, but what about the compressor? What am I giving up in the compressors capability / functionality just for the convenience of having an all in one system? Im assuming there is a trade off.

PS - Im really liking the VIAIR 200 PSI Ultra Duty Onboard Air System? Just discovered it last night. There is a video on the web showing it installled under the truck towards the front. Its running for around $450. If I can find a great 9500 lbs Warn winch with synthetic line for around $800, im within budget.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:55 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by powrsurg
OK, ill stop beating around the bush. Im not experienced in these matters but here is my gut concern. The Warn PP with Air to me in my ignorant state, is like a John Deere mower that comes with a camera. The mower will be one of the best you ever had but what does JD know about making cameras? Now the PP is a great winch, but what about the compressor? What am I giving up in the compressors capability / functionality just for the convenience of having an all in one system? Im assuming there is a trade off.

PS - Im really liking the VIAIR 200 PSI Ultra Duty Onboard Air System? Just discovered it last night. There is a video on the web showing it installled under the truck towards the front. Its running for around $450. If I can find a great 9500 lbs Warn winch with synthetic line for around $800, im within budget.
The powerplant is perfect for airing up tires. If you want more out of a compressor look elsewhere. its not good for air tools even with a seperate airtank. If your planning on using it for air ups and winching its perfect.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:29 AM
Former Vendor

All systems have their pros and cons. We deal a lot in VIAIR compressors and have had absolutely good success with them. Everyone mentioned valid points, and here is my take on it.

Yes, if the compressor were to fail, you would have to sen the whole unit back. Or if it was too much to fix, then you would have to buy a new system and now have dead weight of the compressor portion of the winch on the front of your Jeep. All VIAIR compressors are rebuildable, if they need it though, as they are very very durable units. SOmething to keep in mind, is that the VIAIR will not have the performance of your shop compressor out on the trail, but it will get you out of a jam with air tools if needed. The C02 will do that as well, but it just is a bummer to have to pay for re-fills and there is a chance you forgot and it runs out in the middle of use on the trail when you need it. The VIAIR will be an endless supply of air.

As for what system I recommend between all the VIAIR units. It would be the Heavy Duty system with an added compressor. The Ultra Duty is nice, but the flow is less than the Heavy Duty. The extra PSI does help for air tools, but I don't think it helps that much to offset the difference in speed. The duty cycle on the heavy duty is 33%, but that will do everything you need in most cases. That duty is rated at 100 PSI, which translates to about 20 minutes of run time. But, most cases, it won't run at a constant 100 PSI. If filling tires, it will be most likely going to 30-35 PSI. I personally have the Heavy Duty system on my truck with a second compressor added. I have ran those compressors for 35 minutes straight without a hiccup in performance.

ANother recommendation would be our Economy OBA system with a second compressor added. You can do this system for $299, plus add another $130 for the second compressor. This is the same system as doing with with the Heavy Duty kit, but without wiring, dash panel gauge & fill hose. Most of those items people have, and the dash panel gauge isn't entirely necessary. The system will stop when it is full.

Sorry to run on here, but wanted to post as much information as possible. Hope this is all helpful, and let us know if you need any help. We can even piece together a custom system for you. All we do is air systems, so we know them well.

Thanks,

Travis
Old 09-05-2012, 12:09 PM
JK Freak

Travis,
Thanks for the detailed response. This as well as the others have steered me more towards Viair and away from the Power Plant. Ill look again at the Heavy Duty. I was pretty set on the Ultra. As long as I can change a tire on the trail with an air gun and fill up fast when the pavement starts is all Im reallly looking to do.

Ill be spending some time on your site later. Ill PM you if I have any questions. Thanks again

Bill
Old 09-05-2012, 01:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another option that you can consider is a battery operated impact wrench, no waiting for pressure to build between uses. I have an inverter in the Jeep to recharge all of my electric doodads, just pick an inverter large enough to carry your largest load.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

or better yet, get a couple support trucks to follow you out on trails, then you should have nothing to worry about
Old 09-05-2012, 08:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I like the idea of separate systems for separate jobs, but my experience with VIAIR has been less than excellent. My spendy VIAIR 550C has had bogus valves since day one. VIAIR charges 12 bux for a replacement that lasts about 3 hours. Now they say the replacements will no longer be available and I should just buy another VIAIR for full price. Apart from the crappy valves the compressor is not even close to being worn out. In the meantime I've figured out what is wrong with their design and taken care of it myself.

Not recommended. Get a separate compressor, but get something else.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by powrsurg
Folks,
Looking at Winch options and was wondering if I should go with Warn Powerplant HP. I like the fact that it has an integrated Air Compressor. Just wondering how it stacks up against the Vair Xtreme Duty?

Should I go with the VAir, what are my mounting options for the tank? Has anyone put it under the truck or must they go inside?

My OBA needs are to reinflate my 35's and operate some air tools.
The downside of the PP has already been covered here, and I x2 that.

I got fed up with the long time it takes a single head compressor to inflate 4 tires, sometimes 8, if a friend needs inflating too.
The solution is to use a twin head compressor. They inflate tires much faster.

The typical single heads that we use aren't capable of constantly supplying the air flow that a pneumatic tool needs. They rely on an air tank. When the pressure in the tank drops, the compressor kicks in. This means that every now or then your pneumatic tool looses power.

Good twin head compressors supply enough flow & pressure for direct connection to a tool (but having an air tank is always better. It eliminates the pressure pulses).

After comparing various twin heads, I chose the well proven twin head ARB.
I had one in the trunk of my previous JKU, and in my current Rubi I have its portable version (boxed together with a small tank & everything needed).)
The ARB are small, very reliable and inflate real fast. Zero problems.

Last edited by GJeep; 09-06-2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:57 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GJeep
The downside of the PP has already been covered here, and I x2 that.

I got fed up with the long time it takes a single head compressor to inflate 4 tires, sometimes 8, if a friend needs inflating too.

Double/twin head compressors inflate tires much faster.
After comparing various twin heads, I chose the well proven twin head ARB.
I had it installed at the trunk of a JKU, and in my current Rubi I have it in its portable version (boxed together with a small tank & everything needed).)
The ARB are small, very reliable and inflate real fast.

It also has enough flow & pressure (150psi) for direct connection to a tool, but having an air tank is always better.
Hey GJeep,
Its very funny that you posted this. I have just sort of discovered this as well. It seems that CFM rating play a big part in whether you can use Air Tools. From what I have been reading 3-4 CFM's is what you need to run these tools.
The ARB Twin Compressor is rated 3 CFM's at 90 PSI. The only other Viair system that has this much is the 2x2 bolt on system seen in the below link. This has a 4.55 CFM rating but at 0 PSI. At 90 PSI its rated @ 2.65 CFM.
VIAIR Corporation - 150 PSI HIGH-SPEED 2on2 (JK) Product No. 30001

So which would be better? 4.55 CFM at 0 psi or 3 CFM at 90? It would appear to me the ARB would be better right?

If so, can any auxillary tank be used for the ARB system? The ARB system looks super hot and I would have no issues with it being visible. Id probably mount it on the inside back door.
Old 09-06-2012, 09:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

"Hey GJeep, ..... It seems that CFM rating play a big part in whether you can use Air Tools. From what I have been reading 3-4 CFM's is what you need to run these tools.
The ARB Twin Compressor is rated 3 CFM's at 90 PSI. The only other Viair system that has this much is the 2x2 bolt on system seen in the below link. This has a 4.55 CFM rating but at 0 PSI. At 90 PSI its rated @ 2.65 CFM.
VIAIR Corporation - 150 PSI HIGH-SPEED 2on2 (JK) Product No. 30001

So which would be better? 4.55 CFM at 0 psi or 3 CFM at 90? It would appear to me the ARB would be better right?"

Air tools need both enough flow (CFM) and enough pressure.

Imagine this:
Wing blows through a window. If you hold a (disconnected) ventilator in front of the window, it'll rotate.
If the wind speed drops = less pressure, it'll rotate slower.
If you close most of the window, the wing speed will be about the same, but less air will go though = les CFM, and the ventilator will again rotate slower.
It's the combination of air pressure and air volume that move pneumatic tools.

So, 4.55 CFM at 0 PSI is meaningless data.

Most tools need 90psi.
If the pressure is too high, the tool gets ruined, so there should be a pressure valve before the tool, set to 90~95psi.
I don't remeber the CFM for the ARB twin, but it's max' pressure is 150psi, well above what tools need.
No way that a single head VIAIR can match both the CFM and psi of a twin head.

One of the reasons why I chose the portable ARB twin is that it allows using a shorter pipe between the tool (or wheel) and the compressor. The longer the pipe is, the lower the pressure & flow rate, especially when I have to inflate another Jeep and I cant get near it with my Jeep.
Another reason is that I keep a pneumatic cutting disc in the Jeep, for clearing a branch or trunk that blocks the trail. Saves time and work. With a shorter pipe I get more power.

I like air tools because (when properly treated -- kept clean and a bit oiled), they are practically indestructible compared to electric tools, and are lighter, smaller and cheaper.

"If so, can any auxillary tank be used for the ARB system? The ARB system looks super hot and I would have no issues with it being visible. Id probably mount it on the inside back door."

Any air tank will do, as long as it's rated for at least x2 or x3 times the 150psi of the ARB.
The tank in my previous Jeep was a fire extinguisher, cleaned and converted to suit the purpose.
You need:
Air inlet
Pressure gauge
Air outlet (with a 'T', one outlet for tires, the other with pressure reduction for tools)
Water draining faucet (at the lowest point)

Last edited by GJeep; 09-06-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Warn Powerplant Air Compressor Vs. Viair X'treme Duty Onboard Air System