Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Warn Power Plant to run ARB Lockers?

Old 04-11-2013 | 03:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GJeep
The twin head ARB is pretty powerful, but small enough to put under a seat -- and the air pipe to the locker would be much shorter than from the front bumper (and much less vulnerable too).
The pipe can enter the center console and then right down under the body.
The winch and compressor would be separate and wouldn't depend on each other.

You'll also need a small air tank, connected with a one-way valve, next to the comp'.
Thanks, maybe I should consider under seat. How loud is it, say it kicks on while engaging, is it to loud to talk over? I was not aware I had to have a small tank too.

Thanks,
Lusky
Old 04-11-2013 | 03:13 PM
JK Super Freak

It's not loud and doesn't stay on long. Just enough air to engage the locker. If you have no leaks it cuts off. If it doubles as on board air, you won't even be inside to hear it!

I run a power plant for airing up and winching.
I run an arb compressor for the lockers only.

Doesn't make much sense to double depend on a single point of failure. Say the winches thermocupling goes out (which mine did and was replaced free by warn) and your stuck. Now you have no locker or winch. Lockers are for getting through the trail, winch is for when your lockers can't.

Again, Dave knows his stuff and has great deals and even better service!
Old 04-11-2013 | 03:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Lusky

Thanks, maybe I should consider under seat. How loud is it, say it kicks on while engaging, is it to loud to talk over? I was not aware I had to have a small tank too.

Thanks,
Lusky
Also. No tank is needed unless you're using it for lots of air. I have the smallest arb compressor and never had a problem running both lockers on the trail!
Old 04-11-2013 | 03:39 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4

I guess I should of been more clear. Its not a good idea, And way to much work to get it to work and then it still wont work perfect.

The way the Powerplant is made is you can have zero air in the compressor for the winch to work. So if you are stuck and trying to winch out you cant use your lockers also.
Never had any issues with the way it worked. And I did intend to run it correctly in conjunction with a tank but sold the Jeep first. It wasn't too much work, its WAY easier than running any other OBA that I've done. No offense, but we see this quite differently. I've ordered quite a few parts from you and admit you have probably forgotten more than I'll ever know about wheeling parts but the OP needs up know that a Warn PP is viable for an OBA setup.
Old 04-11-2013 | 03:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by COStrider

Never had any issues with the way it worked. And I did intend to run it correctly in conjunction with a tank but sold the Jeep first. It wasn't too much work, its WAY easier than running any other OBA that I've done. No offense, but we see this quite differently. I've ordered quite a few parts from you and admit you have probably forgotten more than I'll ever know about wheeling parts but the OP needs up know that a Warn PP is viable for an OBA setup.
Either way would work sure. But he is basing his build and purchase on the information. Why drop 1200$ on a winch when we could just get a $100-200 compressor.
Old 04-11-2013 | 08:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Sgt Mack

Either way would work sure. But he is basing his build and purchase on the information. Why drop 1200$ on a winch when we could just get a $100-200 compressor.
Agreed. But it comes with a winch
Old 04-11-2013 | 08:36 PM
JK Freak

I wouldn't want it under my seat and have to hear it no matter how long it runs . It sometimes gets hot , then you also have high voltage in the cab not to mention under your seat . I would mount it either under the hood , or under the vehicle somewhere . They are free with purchase of the lockers so what if you cook one every once in a while . Besides , I don't think it will cook .
Old 04-11-2013 | 11:19 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Lusky
Thanks,
Lusky
The twin head ARB is not very loud but you definitely hear it. For locking, the compressor works briefly. Installed under a seat, the sound is partly dampened.
For inflating tires, working duration is obviously longer.

An air tank is good but not essential.
A larger air tank makes it easier for the compressor, especially if you want to use pneumatic tools such as an impact wrench for replacing a wheel, or help inflating another Jeep.
Such a tank can be placed under the Jeep.

Wherever you place the comp', with or without a tank, make sure you have an easy access for connecting an air pipe for re-inflating the wheels.
With a tank -- An ON/Off switch would prevent it from starting spontaneously (re-pressurizing the tank if there's a tiny leak).
Without a tank -- it wouldn't start unless you turn it on.

Use a real thick wire between the comp' and the battery.

Inside the center console - or on its front - is a good place for the two compressor switches:
One is for turning it on.
The other - in case he/she complains about the compressors' noise - for triggering the passenger ejection seat ...

I don't need air lockers (it's a Rubi), so I skipped installation by getting the portable version of the twin head ARB. It comes in a case that includes the compressor, a small air tank and everything needed for airing down & inflating.
This is my second Jeep equipped with the twin ARB. I've had very good experience with these comps', from freezing temp' to 46 Celsius in a desert.

Last edited by GJeep; 04-14-2013 at 01:24 AM.
Old 05-01-2016 | 07:06 PM
JK Newbie

Here is a solution:
4x4 Products | STYP, LLC

Quick Reply: Warn Power Plant to run ARB Lockers?