Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Warn Power Plant to run ARB Lockers?

Old 04-11-2013 | 09:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Warn Power Plant to run ARB Lockers?

As title asks, does anyone use their Warn Power Plant to run their ARB air lockers? I have a 2013 and seem to understand there is no room under the hood for the dual ARB. I want a compressor that can run the lockers, air up my tires, etc. and I don't want to put it inside the cab. I need a winch anyhow so it seems this could be a good plan. Please advise.

thanks in advance,

Lusky
Old 04-11-2013 | 10:04 AM
JK Super Freak

I can only go off what I was told by Evo that it wouldn't work. That an inboard air set up is the only way.

They're might more to it but its easier.
Old 04-11-2013 | 10:08 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

It wont work.

But there is plenty of room to put the small compressor under your hood. Which you can get for free right now if you order lockers. And then you can get a different source to air up your tires.

David
Old 04-11-2013 | 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lusky
As title asks, does anyone use their Warn Power Plant to run their ARB air lockers? I have a 2013 and seem to understand there is no room under the hood for the dual ARB. I want a compressor that can run the lockers, air up my tires, etc. and I don't want to put it inside the cab. I need a winch anyhow so it seems this could be a good plan. Please advise.

thanks in advance,

Lusky
Lusky,
It is possible to run a Dual ARB compressor in a 2012+ JK.
I mounted mine under the passenger seat, see post here:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...2/#post3490273

Here is a bracket you can buy for mounting under the passenger seat:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...3/#post3490753

Other people have mounted it in the engine compartment:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...3/#post3492537
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...3/#post3492550
Old 04-11-2013 | 10:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Northridge4x4
It wont work.

But there is plenty of room to put the small compressor under your hood. Which you can get for free right now if you order lockers. And then you can get a different source to air up your tires.

David
Pretty sweet deal, you should jump on that!
Old 04-11-2013 | 11:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by

Other people have mounted it in the engine compartment:
[URL="https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/2012-arb-compressor-mount-other-board-air-options-202366/page3/#post3492537"
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modified-jk-tech-2/2012-arb-compressor-mount-other-board-air-options-202366/page3/#post3492537[/URL]
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...3/#post3492550
Looks good to me under the hood, thanks!
Old 04-11-2013 | 11:54 AM
JK Junkie

thanks in advance,

Lusky
I wouldn't put a compressor under the hood where it would get cooked and collect dirt.
The twin ARB is pretty small and I see you already got a good advise as to where to put it.
When you run the pipe to the locker, make sure it's not too near any hot part, such as the exhaust. Get a thermal/mechanical protective sleeve over it anyway.

Last edited by GJeep; 04-11-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-11-2013 | 12:38 PM
JK Newbie

thanks in advance,

Lusky
These people and professionals are all wrong.

I did it on my LJ (Warn Powerplant HD/distribution block/ARB 35 spline locker Dana 44), only thing is you have to keep the powerplant in compressor mode and let it cycle as you wheel. I had a to install an air line distribution block, as mentioned, and that was it.

Don't believe me? Call High Country Performance 4x4 in Colorado. They sourced the distribution block for me.

Originally I planned to get a tank setup too, but sold it before I tackled that project.

Last edited by COStrider; 04-11-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-11-2013 | 01:19 PM
JK Junkie

The twin head ARB is pretty powerful, but small enough to put under a seat.
The air pipe to the locker would be much shorter than from the front bumper (and much less vulnerable too).
The pipe can enter the center console and then right down under the body.
The winch and compressor would be separate and wouldn't depend on each other -- they wouldn't be 'either winch or compressor'.

You'll also need a small air tank, connected with a one-way valve, next to the comp'.

Last edited by GJeep; 04-11-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-11-2013 | 02:31 PM
Sponsoring Vendor

These people and professionals are all wrong.

I did it on my LJ (Warn Powerplant HD/distribution block/ARB 35 spline locker Dana 44), only thing is you have to keep the powerplant in compressor mode and let it cycle as you wheel. I had a to install an air line distribution block, as mentioned, and that was it.

Don't believe me? Call High Country Performance 4x4 in Colorado. They sourced the distribution block for me.

Originally I planned to get a tank setup too, but sold it before I tackled that project.
I guess I should of been more clear. Its not a good idea, And way to much work to get it to work and then it still wont work perfect.

The way the Powerplant is made is you can have zero air in the compressor for the winch to work. So if you are stuck and trying to winch out you cant use your lockers also.

Quick Reply: Warn Power Plant to run ARB Lockers?