Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

WARN M8000 vs. Ramsey 8.5e/Ramsey 9.5e

Old 02-09-2010, 07:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WARN M8000 vs. Ramsey 8.5e/Ramsey 9.5e

I have decided to scrap my idea for going cheap and buying a used crappy winch. I am looking to spend around $500 on winch, then get synth rope and hawse fairlead. I am working on doing a custom mount with my current Or-Fab stubby set up. Anyway, this puts me in the range of a Warn M8000 or Ramsey 8.5e, maybe even a Ramsey 9.5e. Comparing line speeds, the Ramsey 9.5e looks to be more on the line of the Warn M8000, but it also looks to draw a lot more amps. I'm guessing thats because of the increased pulling power. Then I looked at the 8.5e and although its slower line-speed-wise, it seems like a pretty good entry level winch that would be better than the Smittybilt or Rugged Ridge budget winches.

Is anybody on here running the Ramsey 8.5e...and how is it? It has a "permanent magnet motor," is that a fancy way of saying that it's junk?

Comparing the 9.5e to the M8000, which is better? I'm drawn to the Ramsey for the extra pulling power and the Warn for the reliability...

I've been stuck on this decision for a while, so thanks for the help. If anyone has better input, let me know...
Old 02-09-2010, 07:59 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

i have no experience with the ramsey but can tell you that the warn m8000 is a good winch and one that will last a long time.
Old 02-09-2010, 08:31 AM
JK Junkie

My M8000 will drag my jk all over the place like nothing. When you are really dug in though use a snatch block relieve the stress on the winch
Old 02-09-2010, 09:18 AM
JK Freak

My M8000 has pulled me pretty much everywhere I've needed to go. And recovered my 6,000+lb tractor out 8" of mud and ditches. The speed isn't really an issue unless you need to string out the line full length. Would take maybe 5min at most. It leads out faster than I can pull it alone
Old 02-09-2010, 09:47 AM
JK Junkie

ramsey 8.5e owner here... 3 years old, same line, and 30 plus pulls including recovery overturned JK's, frame stuck vehicles, and 75' hill pulls.

no complaints except for the slow line speed when I respool. Cant go wrong, all the quality and half the price. its a win win.
Old 02-09-2010, 02:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by 07JKX
ramsey 8.5e owner here... 3 years old, same line, and 30 plus pulls including recovery overturned JK's, frame stuck vehicles, and 75' hill pulls.

no complaints except for the slow line speed when I respool. Cant go wrong, all the quality and half the price. its a win win.
Your line rusty or frayed at all or still look pretty good? I'm debating whether to get the synth line from the get-go. I guess Georgia doesn't get snow and road salt, but it does rain there. hahaha

Does anyone know what the permanent magnet motor means?

I am still leaning toward the Warn but the Ramsey 8.5e is $150 cheaper from what I can see online... And it seems to be better than the XRC8...
Maybe I am just so clouded by the Warn reputation at this point that I am naturally biased, but $150 can def buy some more mods.
Old 02-09-2010, 04:38 PM
JK Super Freak

M8000 here, you won't be disappointed .well worth the money.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:33 PM
JK Freak

I'm in Oregon. It's been wet here since september. I've dragged my line through mud, snow, and water and there's no rust YET. It will eventually, just a matter of time. As soon as I see some significant rust I'm swapping for a synth line, but I don't see it as a necessity. If I lived where they salted roads or I was at the beach a lot it would've been. If you're coastal georgia I'd say you need synth sooner rather than later.

Last edited by runit3; 02-09-2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I made the switch from Ramsey to Warn kicking and screaming. I ran a 1968 Ramsey PTO winch on my Jeepster Commando for years. The winch was AMAZING. It didn't ever quit. When I bought my JK I planed on buying a Ramsey winch to go with it. Like you, I did all the comparison research. Both companies make a great product. Sure the M8000 costs a bit more, but it's a bit better. The series wound motor will last longer than the permanent magnate motor on the Ramsey 8.5e because it won't get as hot. In the end, I converted to Warn because of the customer service. Before a big pruchace I always make a call the the company looking for replacement parts (that I don't need). I tried three times and Ramsey never gave me the time of day or just talked like they didn't care about my problems (which I didn't actualy have ).
Customer service at Warn was the best, so I made the switch. I like a product backed by a company I can count on for years to come
Old 02-10-2010, 08:37 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by joneszj
Your line rusty or frayed at all or still look pretty good? I'm debating whether to get the synth line from the get-go. I guess Georgia doesn't get snow and road salt, but it does rain there. hahaha

Does anyone know what the permanent magnet motor means?

I am still leaning toward the Warn but the Ramsey 8.5e is $150 cheaper from what I can see online... And it seems to be better than the XRC8...
Maybe I am just so clouded by the Warn reputation at this point that I am naturally biased, but $150 can def buy some more mods.
no rust... kinked and frayed in some spots. Still works like a champ. Probably will replace it in the near future!

do get synthetic! there is no adventure/excitment when a sythetic line breaks!

Quick Reply: WARN M8000 vs. Ramsey 8.5e/Ramsey 9.5e