Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Warn M8000

Old 07-10-2009, 08:45 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heres a couple pics of what I got, I cant find any information on this particular winch maybe someone else has better internet skils than I do.
M# 25314
N# MRV-B-7
V# 12
D# 666

Old 07-11-2009, 12:45 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by john smack
one more question for everyone, I was wondwering how thick most winch plates are?
I am going to make one seeing as I am a safety manager at a welding shop.
Anyone know the thickness?
My plate, which as far as I can tell, was designed for a TJ (I just laid it across the top
of my JK's frame rails, found a couple of existing holes that lined up and drilled a
couple more into the frame), is 1/4" thick. Last weekend, I was in the local Harbor
Freight store to buy a cheap jig saw and saw a much nicer plate than mine for about
$40.

Even if you are in the business, that is tough to beat -- especially since the fairlead
mount is already done and the plate is formed in such a way that it appears very
strong (as is my TJ hand me down plate).

-meljr
Old 07-15-2009, 01:02 AM
JK Newbie

heres a couple pics of what I got, I cant find any information on this particular winch maybe someone else has better internet skils than I do.
M# 25314
N# MRV-B-7
V# 12
D# 666
If you call Warn, they will identify it for you, as they did for me. Yours looks like an M8000, but you should check with their tech support to be certain.

MRV-B-7 is the motor number, the freespool lever & the winch brake will tell you exactly what model your winch is.

Here's what mine looked like when I got it:

And what it looked like after I rebuilt it:

I even got the Warn staff to mail me a set of decals for the winch, making the thing look brand new when I finished. (the after pic was taken before the decals arrived.)

If you decide to go the same route, ID the winch with Warn, then buy the gasket set for ~$15. The previous owner of mine used some shitty make-a-gasket compund which hardened into all the teeth inside. I spent hours scraping it out with a dental pick before I sandblasted everything.

Also, I spent an extra $30 or so, and got new power posts with fibre washers from a starter rebuilder, and new stainless bolts all around from a local fastener shop. Money well spent imho. Just be sure to use a copper or zinc thread compound, as Stainless+Aluminum will galvanicly corrode without it.

Also, my winch plate is 1/4" Steel too. I've never seen (a useful) one any thinner.

Last edited by Gavitron; 07-15-2009 at 01:08 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:04 PM
JK Junkie

Well I went ahead and cleaned up the winch, repainted it, and mounted it

Gavitron- the winch had a tag on it from a local shop tha rebuilds winches, starters and such and the tag had a date of july 18, 2008 so I took the winch there and asked the guy about it and he rebuilt it completely
Old 07-22-2009, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

I was wondering if anone had any experience with this winch or maybe has one on there JK and have used it.

Did it work well?

I picked up one yesterday for $300 and I was wondering do these take oil? I couldn't find any drain holes or fill holes but I took off the clutch engagement and looked inside and everything lookedlike it was greased.
where did you get this great deal???
Old 07-22-2009, 11:19 AM
JK Freak

Isnt the m8000 like $550 brand new? I think you were looking at the wrong winch for $1300.

But your still ahead of the game if you spent $400...kinda steep from the way it looks but...

that winch is the work horse of all winches IMHO. Its tried and true through the years
Old 07-22-2009, 11:22 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Isnt the m8000 like $550 brand new? I think you were looking at the wrong winch for $1300.
YEP.

http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...od=WARN-265032

Thanks
David
Old 07-22-2009, 05:43 PM
JK Junkie

yes $550 US but once you change that to canadian pesos and pay shipping and pay customs fees and taxes and ViISA currency exchange fees you rack up alot of cash.
In the store here a Warn M8000 goes for $1300 Canadian.

It doesnt matter anyway about this old winch.... I am going to win one from Northridge! hahaha
Old 07-23-2009, 09:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was wondering if anone had any experience with this winch or maybe has one on there JK and have used it.

Did it work well?

I picked up one yesterday for $300 and I was wondering do these take oil? I couldn't find any drain holes or fill holes but I took off the clutch engagement and looked inside and everything lookedlike it was greased.
The Warn 8000 works great. Only time I used it was to pull our truck out of the front yard after my wife buried ithe axles in mud The truck weighs over 6000 pounds..... and it didn't bother the winch a bit. Matter of fact I had to chock the wheels on the Jeep and keep it in gear because it was originally trying to drag the Jeep across the yard instead of pull the truck free.

Only downside to date is that after 2 years the black solenoid plug in cover is fading to a dark grey. That's about it.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:05 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yes $550 US but once you change that to canadian pesos and pay shipping and pay customs fees and taxes and ViISA currency exchange fees you rack up alot of cash.
In the store here a Warn M8000 goes for $1300 Canadian.

It doesnt matter anyway about this old winch.... I am going to win one from Northridge! hahaha
Northridge Canada has thesein stock and you will not pay any where close to $1300 for this winch!

David

Quick Reply: Warn M8000