Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

warn duel power plant or oba

Old 04-08-2014, 01:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warn duel power plant or oba

Wonder on what you guys would go with. A warn duel power plant or a separate oba setup and a regular winch. I know the common theory on the duel power plants is that if one fails then you lose both and now you don't have air or a winch.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Bueller bueller?
Old 04-10-2014, 11:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bludevlsi
Bueller bueller?
I wish I had experience with winch and on board air so i could give you first hand experience...but I don't. I am still building my jeep..er, the banks jeep.

I really like the simplicity of the power plant and I have heard several forum members state they are happy with it.
I don't know much about on board air. I thought I wanted to install and place in engine compartment. No I hear all the negative feedback about the heat from the engine compartment, dust, water, etc. that could shorten the life of the compressor. I understand the concerns, but haven't heard from anyone of the unit actually failing from the above stated issues. I would think if you put the intake inside the cab it would help?

I guess it is a matter of choice and budget.

Let me know what you decide.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Warn winch and a Warn SPI compressor - the same compressors as on the PowerPlant and it works well. I'd go with the PowerPlant if I did it over again.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:17 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had my PowerPlant for going on seven years. You can probably run power tools decently if you have an auxillary tank. But, if that's something you want to do more than casually you're probably better off with a separate OBA setup.
Old 04-10-2014, 02:33 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

PowerPlant works well for me. The "you lose both" argument is a canard from those who've never dealt with a Warn winch failure. Here's how it works (out of warranty):

1. You contact Warn tech service. Real people answer your questions.

2. They e-mail you troubleshooting procedures.

3. You troubleshoot, confirm bad part, order it on web or with another phone call.

4. Couple days later part arrives and you install.

This is how it worked for me when my winch wouldn't spool in. Contrary to the naysayers, the compressor continued to work fine the entire time.

Quick Reply: warn duel power plant or oba