Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Warn Dana 30 hub conversion?

Old 05-02-2008, 01:29 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man
I'm not aware of Jeep promoting the JK (or any previous Wrangler) as having a "full-time" system. In fact when you engage it it says "part-time". They do have a full-time system available on the Grand Cherokees (when engaged).
I wasn't aware they marketed it like that either.
Old 05-02-2008, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I have been working on 4wd systems for close to two decades, and I have owned 4x4s from as old as the 60's. For every one of them "full time" = "can be run under any road conditions and left in 4x4 if you wish". "Part time" = "only for use during limited traction situations, or off road". In my experience the terminology has not changed, and it has nothing to do with the ability of the front axle shafts to be disconnected (at the hub or otherwise). I even have a textbook printed in 1974 that explains it quite clearly. IMHP all of this "terminology" posturing is caused by a misunderstanding of the terms.

At least Jeep has had the sense to stay away from vacuum actuated hubs in recent years. The Ford Super duty systems that rely on it are a constant source of problems.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Um...I don't know if I'm the only one, but, I seem to have noticed that Full Float Axles....turned into Full Time 4WD in one post...and the rest of the thread kept on the Full Time 4WD issue...and the Full Float issue faded away instantly.

The arguments SEEM to have developed when the transition occurred, and the confusion continued.

Time line:

> Full Float Axles > Full Time vs > Part Time 4WD

Is it possible that this is why people with decades of experience are disagreeing on something so basic?

And, yeah, the old jeep vacuum lines were always leaking.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:46 PM
JK Jedi Master

I wouldnt sell my hub kit for anything, its great

its serviceable, Unlike the unit bearing.
Old 05-02-2008, 06:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
What about the SpynTec setup?
It was discussed in my post # 30 and Piginajeep also stated that he has intalled it.

Edit: While we are back on this thread, here is another thread Piginajeep did on the SpynTec:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...uum+disconnect

Another by WayofLife:

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...hlight=spyntec

Last edited by Blue; 05-02-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-03-2008, 11:22 AM
JK Newbie

Talking

Originally Posted by RedneckJeep
I wasn't arguing with you. I merely stated fact. Terminology has changed since better technology has evolved. What was once "full time" is no longer so. All you had to do was READ what I wrote. I said that's what the industry USED to call the two. That is FACT. Regardless of what you may think is automaker "fancy wordy claims".
Not an argument, a discussion...I was commenting on the first word you used in your origianl post (concerning this portion of the discussion) "ALL", and thus the "not entirely true statement" by me, as apost to a comment like "I totally disagree wtih you" which would indicate that what you said had no truth to it. Well their is truth to it, their were full time four wheel drives produced, and I can't think of a one that had locking hubs. But not all front axles that had nonlocking hubs were true 'full time' as they may have claimed either in print, on paper, or word of mouth.

'adaycj' your test book you sight may need editing in my opinion...not that I am saying your wrong, just that I define (and learned it as) 'Full time' as always engaged, 'Part time' as front or rear differential can be disengaged as needed. Just curious as to what "textbook printed in 1974" do you have.

When you speak to salesmen, or mechanics with better thing to do than explain to a customer the differences, they often simplify or use incorrect terminology so they can get back to work (or the bar). I was trying to clarify that not all non locking hub (or hubless) front axles were full time four wheel drive. The terms may have changed meaning like what 'RedneckJeep' stated above, from manufacture to manufacture but also to explain that the terms they use are not always descriptive of what they truely mean. "So what exactly is 'Trutrac'..."not that I am asking just to show that the term doesn't have any real meaning in the phrase.

Reminds me of the "locker differential" debate...which type? These terms are sometime used as a junk terms when the turth is close but not exact to that being discribed.

IMO the JK would best be discribed (and simplist) as a 'part time' four wheel drive system.

'pearl-drum-man', 'RedneckJeep' I agree, I can't recall Jeep marketing the JK as 'full time'...if my comment "lets cut through the automakers BS and get to the truth of the matter" implied that I was saying Jeep marketed their junk this way, than I retract the statement. But I will say that "other automakers have mislead the public with misleading claims that were not entirely factual", the terminology must remain constant...and it does not...that was the point I was trying to make.

I too have worked on all versions and types of 4X4's for the last 30 years. And I have seen the fancy words they use to descirbe them. I still contest that it is all marketing to sell cars. Call me a sceptic, synic or just an A-hole. Try and prove it to me and I may beleive it...

'Blue' thanks again for the two links concerning the front JK hub conversion discussion.

P.S. those "quote" marks are cut and pastes not snotty remarks. I just what to make sure that I get the information put down correctly. Happy trails!

Last edited by brokebolt; 05-03-2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-03-2008, 01:29 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't need to prove anything to anybody. My only point was that different people call things by different terms. That doesn't make it necessarily right or wrong. Also, on the front axle bit.....I never have seen a problem with the front axle turning all the time. The rear does, and it also propels the vehicle, too. How much really goes wrong with a rear axle as long as it's maintained properly? Not a lot. Rear axle bearings routinely last what...100,000 miles or more? To me, to say that locking hubs will take away some of the "wear and tear" from the front axle is kinda gettin picky. I mean, how much wear and tear really is going on when the axle doesn't even do any driving for probably between 75%-95% of the time on most 4X4s? Besides all that, I've seen precious little "damage" that I could attribute with 100% certainty due to a front axle not having locking hubs....and I've been at it a while now. I'm certainly not arguing that it cannot happen, just saying that in actualy reality, I think it's far less common than people think. One point that I've not seen anyone make is the difference in steering control locking hubs can make. By allowing the axles to remain still usually results in some effort being removed from steering and makes it a little easier. Not that the JK is hard to steer by any means to begin with. I would think mileage (however meager) and the handling difference and the ability to get away from the unit bearing would be the three biggest reasons for locking hubs. The wear issue to me seems very small.
Old 05-03-2008, 03:01 PM
JK Jedi Master

Your right about the steering, it feels alot smoother at the wheel. It seems to get slightly better gas mileage. Then again. It gets better mileage with my wife driving.

Its so smooth, I can tell how rough the tires really are. I never did get the slight driveline viberations out, But this resolved that issue since the driveshaft does not spin any longer

Also dont forget this helps with the transfercase as well.

Quick Reply: Warn Dana 30 hub conversion?