Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wanting to run 37's, what are my options to get there?

Old 05-06-2010, 06:43 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting to run 37's, what are my options to get there?

Ok, so I have an unlimited X on a 4" Rough Country lift, and it's a base X model with the 3.21 gears. I'm trying to find two things, one being the shortest track to 37's, and one being the strong track for 37's. I don't want to go over 4" of lift because I want to keep the CoG close to where it is.

For getting there with minimal upgrade, I can re-gear my current 30 and 44, trim the fenders, and stubby the front bumper. I know the pinch seam has to be bent back and I think my rubi take off rock sliders have already been trimmed because they're about an inch or so shorter (and angled) at the rear than my un-modified pinch seam. A rear bumper with a tire carrier would be nice to avoid destroying my rear gate.

As far as doing it right the only thing I know that I need to change is to at least go to a 44 in the front, still have to re-gear, probably do lockers at the same time.

Is there anything else I'm really missing? I want this to be able to properly flex on the trail but will trimming the fenders etc. really give me the room I need? I don't have anywhere near the cash I need to do any of this right now, but trying to make a plan for emptying my wallet.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Mantaray52
Ok, so I have an unlimited X on a 4" Rough Country lift, and it's a base X model with the 3.21 gears. I'm trying to find two things, one being the shortest track to 37's, and one being the strong track for 37's. I don't want to go over 4" of lift because I want to keep the CoG close to where it is.

For getting there with minimal upgrade, I can re-gear my current 30 and 44, trim the fenders, and stubby the front bumper. I know the pinch seam has to be bent back and I think my rubi take off rock sliders have already been trimmed because they're about an inch or so shorter (and angled) at the rear than my un-modified pinch seam. A rear bumper with a tire carrier would be nice to avoid destroying my rear gate.

As far as doing it right the only thing I know that I need to change is to at least go to a 44 in the front, still have to re-gear, probably do lockers at the same time.

Is there anything else I'm really missing? I want this to be able to properly flex on the trail but will trimming the fenders etc. really give me the room I need? I don't have anywhere near the cash I need to do any of this right now, but trying to make a plan for emptying my wallet.

that sounds pretty good escpecially the 44 in the front if you plan to offroad it.
to get a little more height you could do a 1 inch body lift of coil spacer and then trimming your fenders will just give the tires more room to move upwards
Old 05-06-2010, 06:51 AM
JK Super Freak

also man where are you in memphis
are you on midsouthjeeps.com
if not i could help you out on a guy who does good cheap gear changes and axel swaps or pretty much anything you want
Old 05-06-2010, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Wanting to run 37's, what are my options to get there?

The body lift isn't that important if u trim ur fenders and or run flats. I'm on a aev 3.5 with 37s and trimmed bushwackers. I'd suggest c gusset at the least if u stay with the 30 up front or even if u upgrade, depending how hard u wheel u might want to look into chromolly shafts and or sleeves...rear bumper tire carrier is also a good idea I ran my 37 spare on the stock for 4 months and dreaded openin the tailgate
Other then that you'll be so much happier with the 37s and I hate to say it but after ahwile they start to look small hehe
Old 05-06-2010, 07:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by dlincoln91
also man where are you in memphis
are you on midsouthjeeps.com
if not i could help you out on a guy who does good cheap gear changes and axel swaps or pretty much anything you want
Yeah, I'm DangerBoy on MSJ. I know those guys would help out with all the installs. I just wanted to pick the brains of a board with more impressive JK's on it. Lol, I think almost every JK in MSJ has a RC 4" lift and 35's except mine, so I'm just gonna go bigger.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Yeah, I'm DangerBoy on MSJ. I know those guys would help out with all the installs. I just wanted to pick the brains of a board with more impressive JK's on it. Lol, I think almost every JK in MSJ has a RC 4" lift and 35's except mine, so I'm just gonna go bigger.
haha yeh im working up to 37s right now
Old 05-06-2010, 07:04 AM
Former Member

The 37's should fit fine with a 4" lift, just check your bump stops flexing out.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:09 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Full-Traction Suspension
The 37's should fit fine with a 4" lift, just check your bump stops flexing out.
Since you're in here, I was looking at other lifts, do you guys make a "long arm" 4" lift, or is there just no need for the longer arms with the angle of a 4"? (I think the unlimiteds have pretty decent lenght arms anyway)
Old 05-06-2010, 07:18 AM
Former Member

Since you're in here, I was looking at other lifts, do you guys make a "long arm" 4" lift, or is there just no need for the longer arms with the angle of a 4"? (I think the unlimiteds have pretty decent lenght arms anyway)
your right they do have a decent length arm, most guys say they are not needed on the Unlimiteds unless your lifted high. However people that have long arms still say its rides smoother on the highways. On my two door I noticed a big difference upgrading to a long arm, it rides better than 4 doors IMO.

We have complete bolt on systems in 3,4 or 6". We also have a long arm upgrade for those who already have a lift and are happy with their coils and shocks.

Long arm upgrade link
Old 05-06-2010, 08:57 AM
JK Newbie

Well, I just ran into another issue. While hunting for 37's, I've noticed that finding radials for 16" wheels is a pain in the ass, Especially since I think I want the Toyos (I've heard they have about the best on-road manners of all the 37's, good tread life, and excellent on the trail, can anyone confirm?) which only come in a monster wide 385/70/R16 if you want 37's. 17's on the other hand get a nice 37x13.5 R16. Until I started looking at 37's, 16" rims had the best prices on what I wanted... Now not so much. is 17 really the way to go for 37's? I'd like to stay under $400 a tire ya know?

Quick Reply: Wanting to run 37's, what are my options to get there?