Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

wanting to make the switch

Old 10-05-2011, 09:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wanting to make the switch

I m looking to get into a 2012 Rubicon. 2door. Looking to light mod it.33s.front and rear bumpers winch and one of the smallest long arm kit.need a driver with light trail use.im keeping my 98 tj that I have had for 10 years. It has high pinion 60s.atlas.long arm. Etc.what should I expect as a difference?my tj has never let me down so im staying with jeep......
Old 10-05-2011, 10:28 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeeps4life
I m looking to get into a 2012 Rubicon. 2door. Looking to light mod it.33s.front and rear bumpers winch and one of the smallest long arm kit.need a driver with light trail use.im keeping my 98 tj that I have had for 10 years. It has high pinion 60s.atlas.long arm. Etc.what should I expect as a difference?my tj has never let me down so im staying with jeep......
Thats a pretty open question. I had a TJ for a little while, can't say I like my JK any better really. Not that its any worse, just not better. A/M parts for JK's are still waaayyyy too high IMO...but I'm sure this will change as the years come. Go test drive one and find out for yourself.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:50 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

I have had 3 tj's and while the jk has a more comfortable ride and the option of 4 doors, I miss the 4.0....
Old 10-05-2011, 11:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by scotty6336
Thats a pretty open question. I had a TJ for a little while, can't say I like my JK any better really. Not that its any worse, just not better. A/M parts for JK's are still waaayyyy too high IMO...but I'm sure this will change as the years come. Go test drive one and find out for yourself.
I test drove a 2012 and liked it. That's why I want one now.lol
Old 10-05-2011, 11:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeeps4life
This is really personal opinion more than anything but with a 33" tire on long arm really is overkill. The jk already has long arms compared to older jeeps and the long arm on such a short lift might actually give you clearance issues.

Have you looked into anything like the rock krawler mid arm kits?
Old 10-05-2011, 12:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by cowboyjeeper
This is really personal opinion more than anything but with a 33" tire on long arm really is overkill. The jk already has long arms compared to older jeeps and the long arm on such a short lift might actually give you clearance issues.

Have you looked into anything like the rock krawler mid arm kits?
Guess it is an opinion. Just my tj has been on its top 2 times.water over the shifter. Caught in the rain many times. Guess hoping they still make them like they used to. I do like everything about the 2012. Hard to deside on a lift due. To all the great options now.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I can say from personal experience that if I would of had the 4.0 in my TJ I would of never made the switch. The TJ is just so much easier to work on and mod. Not as many electronics to go wrong and no CANBUS system.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Well in my opinion, the only thing better about the older Jeep's is that they had less electronics and the 4.0L was very dependable. But to me the JK is FAR superior in every other way. I started with a '93 YJ, then had a '99 TJ. After owning a 2007 JK Unlimited with some electrical issues, I decided to go back to a LJ. Going back to the older style was not easy. The older Jeep wasn't what I remembered. The JK's ride like a Caddilac in comparison. Long story short, I sold the LJ after two months, and bought a new 2-dr. Rubicon.

I think you'll be really happy with a new JK, and if you're keeping the old TJ, that will be the best option yet. I'm a little easy on my Rubi, since it's still new and so nice, and it wasn't cheap. Having an older, less expensive Jeep would be really nice for taking on the trails.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by karls10jk
It won't jump like the TJ does, this electronic throttle is the worst part of the JK next to all of the overkill electronics. Adding lights will require new switches and wiring so nothing new there.

Please get half doors, please. IMO- not enough people are getting half doors so there is going to be a shortage down the line. I bought my jeep 24 hours after selling my TJ so there was no time to go order the half doors. That's one of my biggest regrets on this jeep.
That's funny,I asked about half doors and the salesman looked at me like I was crazy

Quick Reply: wanting to make the switch