Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wanting to Join the 37's Club ;)

Old 08-07-2016, 05:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
The questions you are asking do not have simple yes/no answers. Far too many variables involved for anyone to give more than a hunch, or a guess. (lots of opinions on both sides of this argument...) Some people are fine wheeling the piss out of a bone stock d30 on 37's, others are bending and/or shattering them with stock tires and hitting a pothole on the way to the mall.

If you have the money to throw at it, I don't see anything wrong with 'over-built for your usage'. That's the way I think, since I don't want to the 'that' person out on the trails. Just add up all the costs and see if jumping to tons makes sense to you. Also check into how much your brand new axles will be worth if you sell them, compared to the scrap value they will be worth if you happen to blow them up. And note the bolt patterns available for the axles you are looking at.

The folks at Fusion 4x4 have some attractive pricing on their axles, worth a look while you are deciding on which way to go with it.

Oh, about the gearing for a d30, you can find 5.38's for them. I think that the information you found was just an opinion on strength, whoever said it was just saying that they would not go past 4.88

And on another note, who makes an aftermarket rear 44 for the JK?
Thanks for your input but G2, Dana, Dynatrac, to name a few that sell aftermarket HD dana44s, thicker tubing, thicker pumpkin. Also u can get these axles complete with gearing, lockers and reinforced. I am not really worrying about cost, because this build will be over next couple of months and wont be rushed. so basically wanna try a build my JK up that will last with 37's for trail riding and mudding.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:26 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
Just to give you a heads up D60's are not bullet proof. Plenty of people have damaged them on the trails. I'v seen a JK on 60's and 42's break an axle shaft on a ledge and then I crawl right up not breaking anything on 37's with the Eaton locked 30/44 combo.

Ok I see your point. Just my understanding was that Dana 60's would of been better. But I see if I beef up my D30/44 it would be ok. Now on your axles, is it justs C's? or do you have a HD Truss? or something
Old 08-07-2016, 05:31 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

fi you are smart you will change your mind and just move to 35's on a 2" lift and be done with it. 37's and a 4" lift are really for more advanced wheeling and to do it well takes a good understanding of what you are doing. If you have to run 37's (which you don't need for what you have described you will be doing trail wise) give some more info like budge and what you really expect to gain from going to 37's.
If you are one of those that is looking at one of the $500 4" lift and trying to run 37's on stock wheels then have fun with that project.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:43 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just C's R&P and Eaton E locker. Honestly I'v already put way too much in that time bomb. I went cheap on the front now I'm going to pay twice down the road when I go 60's. Should have gone 60 open instead of wasting money on a D 30 E locking carrier. Upgraded the internals on the 60 later to save cash.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
fi you are smart you will change your mind and just move to 35's on a 2" lift and be done with it. 37's and a 4" lift are really for more advanced wheeling and to do it well takes a good understanding of what you are doing. If you have to run 37's (which you don't need for what you have described you will be doing trail wise) give some more info like budge and what you really expect to gain from going to 37's.
If you are one of those that is looking at one of the $500 4" lift and trying to run 37's on stock wheels then have fun with that project.

Ok Let me break it down for you, I dont want 35's I currently have 33's with 2.5' coils with .5 coil spacers which equals about 3' lift. 2 inch larger tires does not make sense to me, waste of money compared to what I have already. I only decided 4' more so for ground clearance for trail riding and especially water crossings the height is needed. I want to move the tub of the Jk and axles from the ground. I understand 37's can be used for advanced wheeling which is true, but I like the look of 37's and will be doing challenging trails. which I will need the ground clearance and the flex. I know I dont NEED 37's But it is a want because I want a bigger tire. As of right now I dont have a budget because this is not a 2 week project, it will be over the next couple of months. Lift kits I am looking for is either a full long arm, or short arm lift kit. my wheels now will still accommodate a 37, I have 17 x8.5 wheels. (Which can be replaced if needed)

Basically 4' Lift + 37's = More Ground clearance/and the want of bigger tires for Trail riding/occasional water-crossings.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:53 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
Just C's R&P and Eaton E locker. Honestly I'v already put way too much in that time bomb. I went cheap on the front now I'm going to pay twice down the road when I go 60's. Should have gone 60 open instead of wasting money on a D 30 E locking carrier. Upgraded the internals on the 60 later to save cash.
Wow man, How long have you been with your D30 setup?
Old 08-07-2016, 07:01 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark_CuriousTracie
Thanks for your input but G2, Dana, Dynatrac, to name a few that sell aftermarket HD dana44s, thicker tubing, thicker pumpkin.
Yep, I know who makes front 44's. I have been running a PR44 for like 5 years now. The question was, who makes a 'rear' 44 for the JK, since I don't recall seeing any?

60's are getting mentioned because new options are hitting the market at much lower price points that might make them more viable alternatives to an aftermarket front 44. That, and all of the comments you will see about paying 5 grand for an axle and still having to run 'stock' unit bearings and balljoints.

What is the backspacing on your rims? You will be adding spacers with the 37's?
Old 08-07-2016, 07:07 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Yep, I know who makes front 44's. I have been running a PR44 for like 5 years now. The question was, who makes a 'rear' 44 for the JK, since I don't recall seeing any?

60's are getting mentioned because new options are hitting the market at much lower price points that might make them more viable alternatives to an aftermarket front 44. That, and all of the comments you will see about paying 5 grand for an axle and still having to run 'stock' unit bearings and balljoints.

What is the backspacing on your rims? You will be adding spacers with the 37's?
Right now the current wheels I have are American Outlaw Hollywood wheels 17x8.5. I cant remember which backspacing because they came in 2 different options. -10mm or +15mm.
Now with your PR44, is that just the front or both? No issues with it in those 5 years?
Old 08-07-2016, 07:12 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark_CuriousTracie
Right now the current wheels I have are American Outlaw Hollywood wheels 17x8.5. I cant remember which backspacing because they came in 2 different options. -10mm or +15mm.
Now with your PR44, is that just the front or both? No issues with it in those 5 years?
G2 has a rear http://www.quadratec.com/products/52467_103X_PG.htm
Old 08-07-2016, 07:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run a 30/44 combo on 37s both are locked, front has c gussets and a truss. Axleshafts are spicer with the 1350 u-joint since I blew the stock ones. I've been in these ones for about a year with no problems. I also have 4.88 gears. I've blew up 2 front/1 rear set of 3.73s when I was on 35s. As far as what everyone is always concerned about (R/P, axleshafts) I'm not too worried. The real downside I've had with stock axles is extreme premature wear of unit bearings and balljoints. Those aren't upgraded when you go to a aftermarket 44. I've done all my own work and am running a $150 Aussie up front so I feel it's been a solid approach for me. I'll eventually build 1-tons but this has gotten me by great so far. I wheel my jeep pretty hard but I will say I'm on the east coast. I've never been out west so I can't say for certain, but I've heard the traction on rocks is much greater out there. Maybe that's why my 30 survives, idk.

Quick Reply: Wanting to Join the 37's Club ;)