Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wanting to Join the 37's Club ;)

Old 08-07-2016, 10:24 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wanting to Join the 37's Club ;)

Wassup JK Family

I have a 2016 JK Sport on 33's right now but looking to join the 37's club. I am not playing on wheeling my jeep hard, but Moderate to challenging trails and mudding no rock crawling. I thought about 35's but they look too small for me. I was wondering if you guys can give me a run down on what I should upgrade the Jeep with to accommodate 37's. So Far My plan is to get rid of My Factory D30/D44 for Aftermarket HD Dana44s with 5.13 Gears 35 spline Chromo Shafts and E Lockers. I thought about Dana 60s but it seems like that would extreme overkill for how I am wheeling my JK. also I know I would replace drive shafts to HD ones. C-gusseting the front axles as well as inner sleeves on both axles. Far as suspension I plan on at least 4' lift with Short or Long Flex control Arms. If I missed anything or something I should add please let me know all comments and inputs are welcomed.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:23 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I would not spend the money on weak aftermarket 44s at the end of the day it's still a 44. If your doing light wheeling and are not going to lock the axles. Just stay stock with axles slap some 37's and you will be fine. It's when you lock the axles is when stuff will break more. You can still break stuff on opens but it's more forgiving. If you want throw some C's in the D30 beyond that it's not worth it. If your going with Eatons find a take off from someone who when to 60's for the front and run OEM 44's. You say you won't do to rock crawling but once you do a rock crawling trail you going to be addicted. Rock crawling is way better than mud and light trails.

Last edited by Jonathan_JK; 08-07-2016 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-07-2016, 02:58 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
I would not spend the money on weak aftermarket 44s at the end of the day it's still a 44. If your doing light wheeling and are not going to lock the axles. Just stay stock with axles slap some 37's and you will be fine. It's when you lock the axles is when stuff will break more. You can still break stuff on opens but it's more forgiving. If you want throw some C's in the D30 beyond that it's not worth it. If your going with Eatons find a take off from someone who when to 60's for the front and run OEM 44's. You say you won't do to rock crawling but once you do a rock crawling trail you going to be addicted. Rock crawling is way better than mud and light trails.

Thanks for the response, i see what you are saying about aftermarket D44s, but I hear max gearing that would fit within a D30 is 4.88 gears with E- Locker is this true? Also that I would have to do alot of reinforcement just to make that D30 axle last w/ 37's like C's, Sleeves, and Truss. am I correct? I want to do lockers because I plan on hard wheeling in the mud, And I hear lockers are beneficial when it comes to climbing deep muddy hills I am planning on Easton Lockers. But do you think I should just run Dana 60s instead? I dont want to risk being stuck on the trail breaking an axle. I have considered rock crawling but my T case is not meant for rock crawling like the 4:1 Ratio Rubicon t-case, Then I would have to add alot of under carriage armor to protect the JK. I dont wanna take the risk of damaging something on the Rocks.

Here A clip I seen on youtube that looks like the difference between Lockers vs Open diffs Also would be great in the Winter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERf6MqwYyBE
Old 08-07-2016, 03:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need a rubicon transfer case to rock crawl lol. Honestly man just run what you have and upgrade what you break. If you "need" 60s you would know it. You sure as hell wouldn't be asking on a forum. As far as armor goes reinforcing your c's are a good idea. Oil and trans skid is also a good idea but it doesn't need to be done all at once
Old 08-07-2016, 03:27 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

5.13s...leave the D30 from open and lock the 44 rear... Weld on some Cs... BOOM ready to wheel! When you break something, replace it.
I would definitely add some skids (oil pan for sure) before I did anything

Last edited by mds22; 08-07-2016 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-07-2016, 03:39 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Monte417
You don't need a rubicon transfer case to rock crawl lol. Honestly man just run what you have and upgrade what you break. If you "need" 60s you would know it. You sure as hell wouldn't be asking on a forum. As far as armor goes reinforcing your c's are a good idea. Oil and trans skid is also a good idea but it doesn't need to be done all at once

I know it is not needed to rock crawl, but a Rubi T- Case is alot better that a Sport T- case on the rocks, because the T-case moves at a slower pace that the Sport T-case and it would be more braking to slow the Jeep than just 4LO and crawling. My JK is more for Mudding, moderated to challenging trails and maybe minor rocks. The only reason I said Dana 60s, Is because I dont wanna break anything so it pretty much bulletproof, and so I have axles that will last with 37's. This is my only vehicle for the time being so I rather not wait for something to break. My JK is mainly off-roading on the weekends and a DD. I was think about C's to reinforce the axle, but question is will the D30 last? And I will look into armor pieces I know it would still be good to have protection for under carriage. Thanks for your imput.
Old 08-07-2016, 03:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mds22
5.13s...leave the D30 from open and lock the 44 rear... Weld on some Cs... BOOM ready to wheel! When you break something, replace it.
I would definitely add some skids (oil pan for sure) before I did anything

Ok, So You would just throws C's on? No need for Truss or Sleeves?
Old 08-07-2016, 03:58 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

The questions you are asking do not have simple yes/no answers. Far too many variables involved for anyone to give more than a hunch, or a guess. (lots of opinions on both sides of this argument...) Some people are fine wheeling the piss out of a bone stock d30 on 37's, others are bending and/or shattering them with stock tires and hitting a pothole on the way to the mall.

If you have the money to throw at it, I don't see anything wrong with 'over-built for your usage'. That's the way I think, since I don't want to the 'that' person out on the trails. Just add up all the costs and see if jumping to tons makes sense to you. Also check into how much your brand new axles will be worth if you sell them, compared to the scrap value they will be worth if you happen to blow them up. And note the bolt patterns available for the axles you are looking at.

The folks at Fusion 4x4 have some attractive pricing on their axles, worth a look while you are deciding on which way to go with it.

Oh, about the gearing for a d30, you can find 5.38's for them. I think that the information you found was just an opinion on strength, whoever said it was just saying that they would not go past 4.88

And on another note, who makes an aftermarket rear 44 for the JK?

Last edited by nthinuf; 08-07-2016 at 04:01 PM.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's the best answer I can give:
Do the best your budget allows.
If you can afford to throw 20k at axles then go ahead, if not, don't.
Old 08-07-2016, 04:42 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just to give you a heads up D60's are not bullet proof. Plenty of people have damaged them on the trails. I'v seen a JK on 60's and 42's break an axle shaft on a ledge and then I crawl right up not breaking anything on 37's with the Eaton locked 30/44 combo.

Quick Reply: Wanting to Join the 37's Club ;)