Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Want to eliminate or reduce stearing wheel shimmy.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the road is smooth there is no problems, if hitting bumps with both fronts at the same time there is no problem.

when hitting bumps and holes with only one front wheel at a time i will get bump steer and the stearing wheel may wobble back and forth a few times at least a 1/2 inch.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by planman
either there is too much tire psi, or the tires are exposing other issues in the steering and suspension.

One common mistake that installers make with jeeps is that they do not loosen all the trackbar and control arm bolts when installing a lift or leveling kit and wait to retorque all the bolts until the vehicle is on the ground with the tires/wheels on at the new ride height.

The control arm and trackbar end bushings have sleeves in them for the bolts to go through. When these components are torqued, the brackets pinch the sleeves and bushings at the height and angle in which the bolts are torqued.

If they are torqued at the wrong ride height/angle, there is significant pre-loading/binding/twisting of the bushings, sleeves, and brackets.

This will cause weird handling and shimmies as well.

It is kind of like being forced to go running on your tip toes instead of flat footed--you cannot run as solidly, and eventually, your calves will give out.

Sent from my droidx using tapatalk
no problem with stock wheels . How can the problem exist with after market wheels if its not the wheels. And yes all that you said has been done jeep is fine.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry but all is good.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by planman
then something is wrong with the tires.

You can run 2.5" net backspaced wheels with 33"-40" tires with no shimmy issues.

Check out mkjeep's posts on running 4" backspaced wheels with 1.5" spidertrax wheel spacers with 35s, then 37s.

Then, check out my posts running 40s on 4.5" backspaced wheels with 1.5" spidertrax wheel spacers.

There is no logical explanation as to why a wider track by itself would cause a shimmy--unless you are getting caught in highway semi truck lane grooves.

Sent from my droidx using tapatalk
same tires used on booth rims. The less backspacing has more leverage against the front end than the stock rims would have. And the fact that their not hub centric i beleive has a lot to do with it. I am going to read some of those threads.

Quick Reply: Want to eliminate or reduce stearing wheel shimmy.