Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Want to eliminate or reduce stearing wheel shimmy.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may sound funny but i was running Dick Cepek Crushers (315/16) 4.5 back spacing rims. Bought some BF KM2s (315/15) 3.75 back spacing steel wheels, I no longer have the shimmy in my steering (it was bad) that I had with the 16" wheels. I rotated those wheels every 3000 miles on the money and it never changed always had it. Now I do not. I enjoy diving my jeep again.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a slight steering shimmy when i would hit a pot hole or bump, i replaced my ss with a Bilstein steering stabilizer and it helped a lot and feels much tighter now while driving.
Old 11-20-2010, 06:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I think wheel offset is a big factor for bump stear and shimmy.
more back spacing puts the wheel and tire closer to the center of the jeep.
I am going with another set of 35 tires and wheels for winter, they will be a half inch narrower at 9" and 4.75" back space rather than 4.5" this I believe will bring the tire and wheel in an additional 1/2 inch i assume?
Old 11-20-2010, 08:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Option 1

I would do your option 1 and install a top steer. It will help most lift kits over 2.5 recommend that and an adjustable track bar. At least the long arm kits and lifts I researched did some said mandatory.

Originally Posted by storch
Have 3.5 in lift running 35 1250 18 and 18x9.5 4.5 backspace wheels.

currently have JKS track bar, no track bar bracket and no drop pitman arm, EMU shocks, OEM control arms with cam bolts.

1st off michigan roads suck, when hitting bumps that only catch one tire it makes the stearing wheel wobble back and forth a few times like its held together with a rubber band, this is not an uncontralable death wobbe.

What is the next purchase or mod needed? I am thinking one or two of the following.

1 Fliped drag link and raised track bar mount, High steer.
2 Adjustable lower control arms.
3 ?
or do i just need to hold the wheel tighter, hope there is a better solution
Old 11-21-2010, 12:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am leaning toward trying the high steer kit next, I do not see the lower control arms doing much for it since there are flexable bushings on all of them
Old 11-22-2010, 04:32 AM
JK Freak

You may have already done these but, I would first re torque everything. Loosten your track bar bottom bolt bounce the jeep up and down a few times re-tighten/ torque and re-align. Also check all of your ball joints, U-joints etc. If it is still doing it then I agree with some of the others. Look at your tires and rims. I have talked to people that have solved death wobble with a new tires and rims. But I find that most steering issues have to do with the track bar not being torqued or loose parts.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:20 AM
JK Super Freak

the aev high stear kit is a great addition and will do the most for bumpsteer. i put this on and it made a huge difference. lower control arms will fix flighty steering that you may have from low castor but not help much for bumpsteer. several companys make a high steer kit and if you are not willing to cut and modify the aev with evo c gussets go another route. i had to weld on my brackets and cut off the axle wrap around sections of the brackets to make it work. if you don't have the evo c gussets it is a easy install you just need a 7/8 inch drill bit and basic tools. if you just have wheel shimmy while you are driving it is most likely a out of balance tire or not properley seated rims (remove those dump clips on the studs).
Old 11-22-2010, 05:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think the offset wheels do play a role in this. I have a dual steering stabilizer and 8.5'' wheels with 5.25 backspacing. Have a 4'' lift on 35's and nothing rubs at all. Rides,drives,steers great. No shimmy at all. I would try a steering stabilizer, inexpensive, good upgrade. Not an expert on this by any means but worth a shot.
Old 11-22-2010, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

I must be crazy . Stock wheels have no shimmy over bumps and my pro comps have alot of shimmy after bump. Yes the retaing clips have been removed and lug nuts are all tight.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:01 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by planman

A speed dependent shimmy can be caused by failing to remove the stock wheel stud clips with aftermarket wheels.
Crap. Guess I'd better check that. Thx.

Quick Reply: Want to eliminate or reduce stearing wheel shimmy.