Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Wandering after front axle swap

Old 06-01-2020, 03:04 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With life getting in the way, all I have had time for is dropping tire pressure to 25psi. That by itself has made quite a bit of improvement. Haven't been able to have my wife and 4 Danes with me driving down the road we had the original shimmy, but towing trailerss weighting 500lbs - 3500lbs down the freeway at 70mph feels better. Still counting on adjusting toe and driving without the stabilizer to see if I can further improve.
Old 07-24-2020, 02:29 PM
JK Newbie

So, finally did the driveway alignment and toed in the front more, that helped a ton with the wandering. Tried to drive it around without the steering stabilizer on and would instantly get death wobble at +40mph due to the condition of the tires. Lucky for me though, went wheeling shortly after and sent a rock straight through the sidewall of one of my tires, so it was a good reason to go buy a new set of tires! Went with 40x13.5x17 Maxxis Razr. Overall, the wandering is pretty much eliminated, but things still don't feel as I feel it should. Since this is my first time rolling on 40's, I feel my concerns are likely related to dialing in my setup with these heavy tires. Here are some initial questions I have:

- What pressure should I run 40's at? I know this is likely the most asked question on the forum, but from what I read, most people say around 20psi. I did the chalk test, and at 18psi, roughly 1.25" of each side of the tire doesn't contact the ground. To get a nice flat contact, I need to drop pressure to about 12-14psi. Tires are 6 ply, load range C.

- How many ounces of balancing beads should I have in each tire? This is my first time using beads and I hear they are a bit of 'trial and error' to get right. From my research, most people have about 10oz in each, but some people have upwards of 20oz. I started with 10oz and had a slight vibration at 65mph so I added 2oz to each tire, making it 12oz total. Seems to help eliminate the vibration, just not sure if there is a reason to keep adding some more, or a reason to not add more beyond a certain load.
Old 07-26-2020, 05:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is your track bar in the stock location on the axle bracket or in the raised/top mounting hole? Is your drag link a standard bottom mount or is it flipped/high steer? can you take a picture from the front showing us the axel.
Old 07-26-2020, 06:56 AM
JK Newbie

I flipped the drag link back to the normal positioning; it is no longer a 'flip drag link'. Track bar is in the upper position. I am certainly not getting bump steer. I am constantly having to rotate the steering wheel between 11:30 and 12:30 positions with the new tires. Had to rotate between 10:00 and 2:00 with my old set of tires which is why I am now focused on trying to further dial in the 40s I am running now. My steering is super tight as well, there is no lateral play in any of the components.

Last edited by JunkHeap; 07-26-2020 at 07:03 AM.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:40 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

You must have a drop pitman arm.

Quick Reply: Wandering after front axle swap