Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

wandering

Old 11-16-2012, 03:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wandering

I installed a teraflex 2.5 lift and 315/70R 17 Dura Tracs. Today is the first day I really drove since. I notice it kinda of drifts around while driving. Do I need a better steering stabilizer or is something else needed??
Old 11-16-2012, 03:44 AM
JK Freak

Your toe in that's what happened to mine when I moved from stock rubi tires to 13.5 wide
Old 11-16-2012, 04:00 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a write up on projectjk.com for this. You just need to toe in the front tires an 1/8th of an inch, which means 1/16th for the passenger and the same for the driver. I did this on mine and it drives just like it did stock. Im running stock moabs, spidertrax spacers and 37" BFG km2's.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:27 AM
Ncb
JK Super Freak

Did you correct the caster? Losing some caster from lifting will cause wandering.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks! The place that installed the tires said they didn't have the specs for a 2013 yet. Damn a 1/8 of an inch isn't much. Is this something I can do or if I take it to dealer for alignment with they do this?

To correct the caster I would need adjustable control arms correct?
Old 11-16-2012, 05:48 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by danh63
Thanks! The place that installed the tires said they didn't have the specs for a 2013 yet. Damn a 1/8 of an inch isn't much. Is this something I can do or if I take it to dealer for alignment with they do this?

You can do it yourself, probably will only take a few mins to do. Park Ur jk with the front tires straight and measure from the seam that is usually in the center of the tire from the passenger tire to the seam on the driver side tire. Then loosen up the clamp on the tie rod on the drivers side then give it a few turns and measure/ adjust until the two seams are 1/8" closer then tighten clamp and take her for a spin
Old 11-16-2012, 05:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by danh63
Thanks! The place that installed the tires said they didn't have the specs for a 2013 yet.

Damn a 1/8 of an inch isn't much. Is this something I can do or if I take it to dealer for alignment with they do this?

Here is the link to perform your own alignment (toe adjustment) and check caster angle. An 1/8" +/- toe could cause your problem.

Basic Do-it-Yourself Jeep JK Wrangler Front End Alignment

The alignment "specs" haven't changed since 2007. If they don't know this, stay away from them.

Adjustable upper control arms are the best way to correct caster, but not the only way.

Last edited by kaptkrappy; 11-16-2012 at 05:53 AM.
Old 11-16-2012, 06:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kaptkrappy
Adjustable upper control arms are the best way to correct caster, but not the only way.

Right. Adjustable lowers can also be used. Most people go that route becasue lowers are easier to install. At 2.5", you only need to do one set to get caster back in line. If you do uppers, be prepared to cut on of the bolts on the passenger side. PITA to istall the uppers!
Old 11-16-2012, 06:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

you guys are great thanks!
Old 11-16-2012, 06:34 AM
JK Freak

I agree with all of the above

also, wider and taller tires will give you a little more of a floaty feeling just because of the larger tread width and how they track

Quick Reply: wandering