Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

WADE Windsheild Air Deflector

Old 01-13-2012 | 08:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Dale_K
I was unaware of this item until I read this thread. I've placed an order for one and I'll report when I get it installed. My 2012 has a whistle off the top of the windshield header with the front of the soft top flipped back. I'm willing to risk it even with the post about turbulence since it's pretty inexpensive. Right now I have some 2" duct tape running over the front of the rubber seal, which knocked the whistle down about 75% but the deflector would be better if it works.
Nice mod... I've thought of doing something close to this, just feared what it would look like.. It's hardly noticeable from the front view.. I think I'm going to do this on my next road trip... Unless someone has positive feedback about the wade deflector
Old 01-14-2012 | 12:00 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by YingYang
I dont know how many of you guys have even seen this but I bought one and it is great!! Been looking for a thread on this one but havent seen one and I havent seen it advertised.

http://www.buyautotruckaccessories.com/product.cfm/cf-bin/pn.wade-jeep-top-wind-deflector/

I had a issue with the soft top wind noise comming in at higher speeds around the header, installed this and can hold a conversation, listen to the radio etc... Its still a soft top but made a world of difference to me.

Just thought I would share in case someone didnt know about it.

This is my first post, I have been hanging around awhile. Wonderful info on this forum. Thanks.
I have been having the same issue with my soft top, a fix like this would be a world of difference. Does it let you put the top up and down with no problem?
Old 01-14-2012 | 05:36 AM
JK Newbie

I've read the reports that the Wade deflector makes a lot of noise when the soft top is raised. Since I'm so good with the black ductape (lol) I might try a temporary mount first and see how it works before using the double sided tape. I bought my Jeep mainly to be a mild weather convertible and don't expect to have the top up very often so the Wade unit might work for me even if it's noisy with the top up. It's worth the risk since it doesn't cost much and it's not permanent.
Old 01-31-2012 | 05:28 AM
JK Newbie

I tried this deflector and it did help some with the whistling noise I hear with my sunrider flipped back but I can confirm the turbulence/buffeting reported by others when the soft top is closed down. It's pretty much intolerable. Plus I didn't notice any big improvement in wind management, especially when I followed the owner's manual and took out my rear soft top window when I used the sunrider flip-back feature.

The Wade unit might provide some benifit on a hard top. I can't say for sure since I don't have one but if it's like the soft top the air really tumbles down on your head pretty bad with the rear window in place, which is the configuration the hard top guys would be in with the rear window shut and the freedom panels out.
Old 02-03-2012 | 04:29 PM
JK Newbie

I ordered this about a week ago. I have a stock 2 door soft top. I installed it about 1/4" or so above windshield per the directions provided. My main issue before was noise above 60mph...Under was always okay. This stopped about 75% of the wind noise. There is slight turbulence when the wind hits just right. I noticed noise still coming from middle of header. I took a small diameter piece of gas line, slit down middle, and put on the bars you clamp to on the windshield. This tightened them up just enough to reduce about 95% of the noise. I have had it on the main interstate around 80mph and it was still waaay quieter than before. I would suggest trying the gas line fix first to see if that helps. Loose clamps seemed to be an issue. I do not know since I did have the deflector on before the clamp mod.
Old 02-03-2012 | 04:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SaFFFari
Two questions- for those experiencing turbulence, perhaps putin a little fiberglass behind it may help?
2nd question, how strong/flexible are these things if they kiss a branch?
It seems pretty flexible. It does not look like it would crack as easily as the window rain guards, more of a hard rubber feel than plastic. I have not hit it on anything yet so I hope it holds up.
Old 02-04-2012 | 05:10 AM
JK Newbie

I've done some more experimentation on my Jeep with the wind whistle that happens with the sunrider flipped back. I always thought it has something to do with the rubber seal on the top of the windshield frame because I never heard any whistle with the top clamped down. Anyway, I bought a Rampage windshield header that is meant for use with their Bikini tops. I used it without any top - basically it's just the metal frame clamped down over the rubber windshield seal. This pretty much eliminated the whistle and it only cost about $50 from Amazon. Here's a Quadratrac link to the product.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/11120_10.htm

Quick Reply: WADE Windsheild Air Deflector