Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

WADE Windsheild Air Deflector

Old 04-02-2009 | 03:32 PM
JK Newbie

Default Help!!

I put a Wade wind deflector on my jeep to try and ease some of the wind noise, but all it did was cause all kinds of turbulence. (Picture the scene in the Blair Witch Project when the tent is shaking). I heard horror stories about the turbulence but they were from four doors complaining about noise in the rear, so I figured i was safe. WRONG!!
anyways...That thing is REALLY on there. I thought of taking some fishing line and taking it off that way but I'm worried about the residual tape.
And was really hoping this would work. The Mrs to be doesn't really like riding on the highway with all the noise. It's to the point we have to yell at each other. Not good.
I did mount it with the bottom of the deflector about an 1/4 in from the bottom of the painted area. Maybe it needs to be flush? Any higher and I'll have issues putting the top up/down.

Any ideas??
Old 06-09-2009 | 08:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

just wanted to wake this thread from the dead and see if anyone had anymore input
Old 08-05-2009 | 06:13 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by martinez
I put a Wade wind deflector on my jeep to try and ease some of the wind noise, but all it did was cause all kinds of turbulence. (Picture the scene in the Blair Witch Project when the tent is shaking). I heard horror stories about the turbulence but they were from four doors complaining about noise in the rear, so I figured i was safe. WRONG!!
anyways...That thing is REALLY on there. I thought of taking some fishing line and taking it off that way but I'm worried about the residual tape.
And was really hoping this would work. The Mrs to be doesn't really like riding on the highway with all the noise. It's to the point we have to yell at each other. Not good.
I did mount it with the bottom of the deflector about an 1/4 in from the bottom of the painted area. Maybe it needs to be flush? Any higher and I'll have issues putting the top up/down.

Any ideas??
When I installed on my 2dr it really helped the rushing air you hear right at the header. I would get turbulence on some days when the wind was blowing just right. I have since traded my 2dr in for a 4dr and have not installed it on the 4dr yet. I may not because of the post above.

It is a total PITA to remove all the tape that will be left behind. My finger were raw from rolling it. I used paint thinner and goof off to remove the residue. Just cleaned it off fast and put a coat of wax right behind it.

I think that you need to raise it up. Check out this pic from Quadratec. http://www.quadratec.com/products/11162_1000_07.htm
Thats how mine was mounted. Looks more like an inch. You just have to be careful when putting the top back on as to not get it caught between the windshied and header of your soft top. Just take a quick peek before you lock it down, it will pop right out if you accidently get it caught.
Old 08-06-2009 | 12:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have one on my unlimited hard top no soft top, it really makes a difference in town with the front tops off. At highway speeds it's still noisy, but in town u can have a normanl conversation. So imo with hardtop works great.
Old 05-31-2011 | 07:27 PM
JK Freak

i know its an old thread but any updates on how well this works? has anyone paint to match it?
Old 07-07-2011 | 12:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Two questions- for those experiencing turbulence, perhaps putin a little fiberglass behind it may help?
2nd question, how strong/flexible are these things if they kiss a branch?
Old 01-11-2012 | 11:34 AM
JK Newbie

I just got back from a long road trip (Dallas to Wichita) into a strong headwind, causing some wind to force its way under the header of my soft-top. Not a roaring yell, but if I would clamp the header down to the frame/top of the windshield, I could hear it stop. I’ve got a drip out to the rockies planned and I know my gf would at least appreciate not listening to that noise the entire way out there… on a 4dr soft-top, would this Wade top-deflector help with this noise? And if so, would I also be at risk of experiencing the aforementioned scenario where at high speeds the deflector causes turbulence that rustles the soft-top around loudly?
Old 01-13-2012 | 04:31 AM
JK Newbie

I was unaware of this item until I read this thread. I've placed an order for one and I'll report when I get it installed. My 2012 has a whistle off the top of the windshield header with the front of the soft top flipped back. I'm willing to risk it even with the post about turbulence since it's pretty inexpensive. Right now I have some 2" duct tape running over the front of the rubber seal, which knocked the whistle down about 75% but the deflector would be better if it works.

Old 01-13-2012 | 07:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had one it was great with the top off terrible with top on way to much noise just my 2 cents
Old 01-13-2012 | 07:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

And removing it is very easy a little googone and a rag it cleans rite up

Quick Reply: WADE Windsheild Air Deflector