Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Voiding warranty with gears...

Old 02-23-2012, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FoxRacingJMC
Which is what I figured, but I wanted some confirmation and reassurance. It would be a step up from the stock gears, so in essence, how could it be the gears that would cause an issue? I understand more clearly now, thanks.

As far as the dealership knowing, they wouldnt... but the "what if" something was to happen or break and I had to go and they took it apart to inspect...then they would find out, dont you think? haha
Hypotheticals are hard to deal with in this area. Warranty covers normal usage. It does not cover off road usage and aftermarket parts. If wheeling offroad or an aftermarket part causes something else to break, then its not covered. If normal usage causes the break, it is covered.

Real world case. Way back when, hit my stock steering stabilizer on a rock and it had to be replaced. Big old dent in it, was not covered. Friend of mine blew the seal on his stabilizer offroad, had it covered. Same dealership. Difference is what the dealer could get past the Mopar parts inspector on returns. It's very situational.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:20 AM
JK Junkie

So, going back to my original comment/question... I guess people just don't care if they void it if it does happen when they regear? haha
Old 02-23-2012, 06:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

So, going back to my original comment/question... I guess people just don't care if they void it if it does happen when they regear? haha

I don't care. I am replacing my front axle with a PR44 and putting a locker in and 35 spline shafts in the rear. Not much left Mopar inside. More worried about driving it home at the end of the day after wheeling than what is covered under warranty.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:28 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Grognard
I don't care. I am replacing my front axle with a PR44 and putting a locker in and 35 spline shafts in the rear. Not much left Mopar inside. More worried about driving it home at the end of the day after wheeling than what is covered under warranty.
I totally agree and for most things that break, I'd much prefer they were replaced with aftermarket parts than getting the OEM equipment for free.
Old 02-23-2012, 06:33 AM
JK Junkie

So, say something breaks in my differential and they say "oh, you switched gears"....they need to prove it was my gears that caused any other breaks/problems before my warranty is voided? Or what I'm trying to ask is, are they gonna automatically say "you switched gears, they aren't what came stock and/or not the recommended ratio, etc" and void it for simply that.

And then I wanna know that the square root of 34 3/4 is if you were to minus 12 before you add an additional 6.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

So, say something breaks in my differential and they say "oh, you switched gears"....they need to prove it was my gears that caused any other breaks/problems before my warranty is voided? Or what I'm trying to ask is, are they gonna automatically say "you switched gears, they aren't what came stock and/or not the recommended ratio, etc" and void it for simply that.

And then I wanna know that the square root of 34 3/4 is if you were to minus 12 before you add an additional 6.
Say you change tyour gears in your differential. So you change your ring and pinion, add a locker so your carrier is changed as well, and do a master install kit while you're in there. Not much left which is stock.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:58 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Grognard
Say you change tyour gears in your differential. So you change your ring and pinion, add a locker so your carrier is changed as well, and do a master install kit while you're in there. Not much left which is stock.
Well, I do plan on getting 5.13's ring and pinion master kit which includes everything....so you are right, essentially everything is swapped out...
Old 02-23-2012, 08:25 AM
JK Freak

Location: Independence and Lexington, KY (depends on the time of year)

If you're willing to regear, you should look into a shop warranty on the gears. My local shop does this. He might charge for the labor, but the gears he pays for if broken. Real nice guy.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

There are way too many variables to speculate about. So you re-gear and unknowingly nick an axle seal. You are back together and cruising on your new gears when you notice the oil leak. It's a stock part so who it liable?

My thoughts on 30+ years of modding vehicles is this. If you play, you pay. If you work on the rear axle assembly and something within that assembly fails, it's coming out of your pocket.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

plain and simple...if you are worried about your warranty don't mod your Jeep.

Quick Reply: Voiding warranty with gears...