Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Voided Warranty on clutch... need HELP!

Old 09-07-2013, 07:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Glowstick
I understand that i can shorten the life of my clutch by running with these modifications, but i rarely take it out to offroad and the only kind of stress i put on it is when i drive it to work which is less than 1 mile away. In a year ive put 3031 miles on the dang thing and thats what im sitting at right now.
It just doesnt seem logical that driving that short of a distance would cause my clutch to completely come lose and spin around inside the housing, shatter and take out my flywheel along with it.
Well if you're over 12 months, you're out of the wear and tear warranty for the clutch anyways. I would work with Chrysler to have the warranty flag removed!!
Old 09-07-2013, 07:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im a few days under actually. haha... bought it mid September so im kinda covered.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:59 AM
JK Junkie

Im a few days under actually. haha... bought it mid September so im kinda covered.
Well there ya go. Contacting Chrysler would be my next step.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:10 AM
JK Newbie

Just did actually... they are going to "re open" my case and send it to their resolutions team. From there they will contact the dealership etc.
Apparently they never told them what was wrong with the clutch, they just reported the damage underneath my vehicle and said they wont cover anything under warranty.
My clutch is destroyed and in pieces, but theycan apparently look at a pile of metal and determine that there wasnt a defect. GENIUS !
Old 09-07-2013, 11:24 AM
JK Freak

Just did actually... they are going to "re open" my case and send it to their resolutions team. From there they will contact the dealership etc.
Apparently they never told them what was wrong with the clutch, they just reported the damage underneath my vehicle and said they wont cover anything under warranty.
My clutch is destroyed and in pieces, but theycan apparently look at a pile of metal and determine that there wasnt a defect. GENIUS !
Genius!!!!!
Old 09-07-2013, 12:32 PM
JK Junkie

Damn. I guess I'm really lucky, my dealer comments on my mods both bigger tires and 3" lift and big heavy bumpers and seems to like to see one being driven off road occasionally

He told me that Chrysler warranty repairs is his biggest customer

Might not help anyone but my dealer is in Saco Maine, Southern Maine Chrysler and Jeep

Maybe we need to start sharing as much as we can who are the friendly dealers in different regions?

A clutch is going to be tough as many people said, the whole wearable bit, but at 3k miles?

I've owned 5 or 6 jeeps now between mine and company grands Cherokees and I had a real problem with my current jk, I forget what gear it was but it would always often pop out only on that one gear, even did it on the way home when I had just bought it new

Dealer checked it out, told me it needed a part that was out of stock for 2-3 weeks and that wasn't right, so they told me that they got permission from Chrysler to just replace the whole transmission...

I was blown away! And they gave me a decent free loaner car for the couple of days it was down

Some dealers are bad business/customer service people

With many the relationship ends with the sale

Where I go the two owners are mopar freaks and own a large collection of rare mint condition cars and they rotate which car will be on display each week or two

Matthew
Old 09-08-2013, 05:44 AM
JK Super Freak

I understand that i can shorten the life of my clutch by running with these modifications, but i rarely take it out to offroad and the only kind of stress i put on it is when i drive it to work which is less than 1 mile away. In a year ive put 3031 miles on the dang thing and thats what im sitting at right now.
It just doesnt seem logical that driving that short of a distance would cause my clutch to completely come lose and spin around inside the housing, shatter and take out my flywheel along with it.

Wait a minute here! Prior to my first post you stated the dealership told you that the clutch was shreded. Now they are telling you it came loose and moved around and spun within the housing. These are two different things. To shred a clutch is one thing, and can happen from something as simple as riding the clutch, over a period of time. The clutch can then become worn to the point when engagement to the flywheel could tear it apart. However to come loose and spin and move around is something all together different. And if damaged the flywheel, had to be a metal part such as the springs, throwout bearing or something off the pressure plate. This would lead me to believe bolts came loose which allowed the pressure plate to move, which in turn caused the clutch to go off center and explode. This would most likely be some kind of a defect. Just say'in
Old 09-08-2013, 06:35 AM
JK Newbie

Hey I wanted to let you know I had a similar failure on my 2012. It was the slave cylinder that went. I have a similar setup as yours and they fixed it with not problems. The warranty on the clutch is 12K Miles so you should be fine there. Good Luck in your situation.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:26 AM
JK Newbie

I don't understand how Chrysler can have advertisements with Jeeps going offroad and then say they aren't going to warranty a Jeep with scratches.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

I hate to see people have problems at the dealers like this. It always amazes me the things some dealers do. Wish all dealerships where like the one I use. When I had clutch issuses I was out of warranty. It was just my slave cylinder but decided to upgrade clutch also. Normally I do my own work but they knew i've been off work several months do to a back injury. They only charged me $25 an hour for the work and had jeep back in 2 days.

Quick Reply: Voided Warranty on clutch... need HELP!