Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Voided Warranty on clutch... need HELP!

Old 09-06-2013, 08:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The clutch is usually a wear item. Like brakes and tires so they might use that as their excuse. But the dealership shouldn't be jerks about it. If they are, move to a different dealer and tell them that you're gonna tell everyone about they're crappy service.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just PM your buddy, I think, some info. PM me it it was another problem with someone ells.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:28 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Sgt Mack
The clutch is usually a wear item. Like brakes and tires so they might use that as their excuse. But the dealership shouldn't be jerks about it. If they are, move to a different dealer and tell them that you're gonna tell everyone about they're crappy service.
Yeah 3k on his jeep is bull for the clutch to go out. Midway sucks hard core. They did this to me and my two door "scratches" on the skid plate.
See if you can move it to another one
Old 09-07-2013, 02:03 AM
JK Jedi Master
Veteran: Air ForceFJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by Glowstick
I was taking a freeway exit, stepped on the clutch and the pedal just gave out. it runs but refuses to go into gear anymore. Chrysler told me that they probably flagged my vehicle so they dont know if i can take it anywhere else since they may have put it into the sysyem as my fault.

I plan to talk to the GM of my dealership and get more info out of him or phonenumbers for higher ups above him.
Check your brake fluid reservoir for proper level. If low, it could be a failure in the clutch hydraulic system. Since the JK has an external slave cylinder, you can have a failure there and not contaminate the clutch/pressure plate. Or the failure could be at the master cylinder. Even if it's not low, it could still be a failure at either cylinder. Check for brake fluid both around the slave and master cylinders, as well as along the line that connects them. Interpretation: It might be a relatively easy fix.

To quickly check the clutch yourself, pull the bell housing inspection plate--an easy five minute job. You can't see much there, but if the clutch is truly damaged, you'll probably see burned material. However, I just don't get a failed clutch from your words "the pedal just gave out." Strange way for a clutch, which has multiple springs, to fail.

BTW: The Centerforce clutch is the way to go if you must change it. Much better feel. Changed mine around 95K miles when the throwout bearing went. Not an easy job, but definitely a nice clutch.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:00 AM
JK Newbie

it definitely was an odd way to go out... there was no noise at all. just gave out and wouldn't let me go into gear after that. the dealership is saying it is shredded and is refusing to fix it since there are scratches on the skid plate. I'll have to ask around and see if I can have it moved somewhere.

I talked to another dealership and they said that their hands would be tied if Chrysler entered it into the system and flagged it.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:03 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like you have a lot of work on your hands. You need to contact Chrysler and have them explain how scratches on a skid plate cause a clutch to go out. That is complete and utter bullshit. That dealership sounds like a giant POS. it's understandable if they don't warranty a clutch since you're running stock gears and 35's, but flagging your warranty I wouldn't put up with

Last edited by kh202; 09-07-2013 at 07:06 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:09 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to sound like a jerk, however I can say one can take out a clutch in very short order if not careful. Couple that with a stock clutch and oversize tires, well ..............! This is why a clutch is deemed a wear item.
I remember back in 1970 when I was 21, and living in SanDiego, I purchased a 70 Hemi Cuda right off the showroom floor. It wasn't but 2 months and a bunch of drags later, I was sitting at a light when a 396 Vette pulled up along side. The driver looked over and I knew it was on. The light changed and I was reved up to about 5500, when I dumped the clutch and all h*ll broke loose. My clutch exploded. When the bell housing was taken off, there was clutch material everywhere, and the pressure plate was split into three parts. I know this is extreme, however that was a very heavy duty clutch, and it just shows how a clutch can come apart in a split second. Now on the other hand I ordered a 94XJ, and it was only two years later I was running a 6" lift and 33" tires, along with all the heavy armor, and many wheeling trips, and Pa backroad driving towing my 18' jetboat. That stock clutch is still in the XJ today. I never would have believed it lasted so long. What can I say. Sometimes a clutch can last a very long time. Sometimes it can go very quickly, and once it does it's hard to call factory defect. Just say'in.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:15 AM
JK Freak

if your Jeep has been flagged, it's time to start trying to work with Chrysler directly, you'll get pushback as they'll see that your dealer has flagged you but keep communicating with them and be civil- don't let your anger take over. Best case they'll decide to replace it, worst it is a wear item though 3000 miles is fast wear...and they'll tell you it's not covered.

What I would try for is to meet you half-way and each of you pay for 1/2 the cost.

Good luck..
Old 09-07-2013, 07:25 AM
JK Newbie

I understand that i can shorten the life of my clutch by running with these modifications, but i rarely take it out to offroad and the only kind of stress i put on it is when i drive it to work which is less than 1 mile away. In a year ive put 3031 miles on the dang thing and thats what im sitting at right now.
It just doesnt seem logical that driving that short of a distance would cause my clutch to completely come lose and spin around inside the housing, shatter and take out my flywheel along with it.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:27 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jeeeep
if your Jeep has been flagged, it's time to start trying to work with Chrysler directly, you'll get pushback as they'll see that your dealer has flagged you but keep communicating with them and be civil- don't let your anger take over. Best case they'll decide to replace it, worst it is a wear item though 3000 miles is fast wear...and they'll tell you it's not covered.

What I would try for is to meet you half-way and each of you pay for 1/2 the cost.

Good luck..
This. AND make the point (or question) what does off road have to do with it? They provide the vehicle with skid plates, locking diffs, sway bar discon, big tires, lifted, name the Rubicon after a famous off road trail, advertise them in press as off road and "Trail Rate" them. They market the vehicle FOR YOU TO GO OFF ROAD. How is no one litigating this with that common dealer excuse?

***holes. Clutch matters not to me, but the off road excuse to get out of covering anything is just begging for attorneys, IMO.

Quick Reply: Voided Warranty on clutch... need HELP!