Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

VIOLENT shaking if I hit a big bump at highway speeds.

Old 12-22-2013, 06:05 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VIOLENT shaking if I hit a big bump at highway speeds.

So I have posted about this problem before, its been going on a for months now and I still cannot locate the source.

My specs are

2011 JKU sport 44,000 miles, 30,000 on the lift.
Rock Krawler 2.5" stock mod kit
Bilstein 5100s
Rough country sway discos

Also I have NEVER had a professional wheel alignment on the vehicle, (not even after the lift) probably a mistake.

So what is happening is not what I believe to be death wobble. It really doesn't happen often but when it does it is pretty terrifying. While driving at highway speeds, if I hit a large bump (usually a sewer grate on the end lane) the jeep goes nuts. It starts violently shaking all over the place to the point that I feel like a tire is going to snap off. It persists for maybe 4-6 seconds and then the jeep steadies itself and carries on as usual.

I have no idea what could be causing this, but it did start almost immediately after I messed with the "toe in" to try to align my tires myself. That may be entirely coincidental though I really didn't change that much.

I also did check the ball joints and I am assuming I need to replace those too. They have about 1/16" of play in the uppers but would that really cause such violent occurrences?

My steering feels fine at all other times so I don't think it would be the stabilizer either?

Please help! I know if I go to a mechanic they will try and get me to replace half the front end.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:23 AM
JK Junkie

Sounds like DW to me.

You need to focus on the front track bar- bolt torque, Remove bolts and look for oval/worn out holes.
Bad bushings or in some cases, weld failure around the mounts.

Everything else Tre's, toe in, ball joints, etc won't help. set the DW in motion so to speak.

Have somebody turn the wheel 9-3. Feel for any play in the front end.
Also, keep in mind. DW is probably why all your components are failing. If you replace things like TRE's, ball joints. DW will cause these parts to fail again.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:29 AM
JK Freak

I had the same issue I had to replace the ball joints were bad both sides lowers so I just replaced lower and uppers. My track bar bushings were bad so I replaced that. I believe the death wobble destroyed the tie rod end on pass side and also the end coming off pitman arm check with channel lock players squeeze them should be no movement new ones r tight. So I replaced all of this me and my buddy parts were about 350 got a great deal through 4wd hardware. Know all death wobble gone. It only happened to me 3 times and destroyed all of those parts so good chance at highway speeds urs r destroyed too. Watch planman vid on u tube how to check parts causing death wobble worked for me.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:54 AM
JK Freak

Anyone recommend a good set of ball joints?

This seems pretty reasonably priced?

http://www.amazon.com/Alloy-USA-1180...ix+ball+joints

and the only special tools I would need are these right?

http://www.harborfreight.com/ball-jo...les-60827.html

Last edited by Trauma; 12-22-2013 at 06:57 AM.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:00 AM
JK Freak

In the interest of offering another possibility,,, I had the same issue in a full size Ford P/U. I replaced the front shocks,, Problem solved. Turns out if the front shocks are bad and you hit a bump at speed (especially around a slight curve) The springs can bounce back and fourth all over the place. All the other advise posted is great,, but I would take a few short minutes and pull your shocks to see if they are blown. Good luck!
Old 12-22-2013, 07:03 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by big dr
In the interest of offering another possibility,,, I had the same issue in a full size Ford P/U. I replaced the front shocks,, Problem solved. Turns out if the front shocks are bad and you hit a bump at speed (especially around a slight curve) The springs can bounce back and fourth all over the place. All the other advise posted is great,, but I would take a few short minutes and pull your shocks to see if they are blown. Good luck!
How do I check the shocks once I remove them? (that upper bolt is such a pain I really don't want to lol)

Honestly that sounds very plausible as well. It is a distinct left to right shaking. Almost feels like someone standing on my rails and rocking the jeep back and fourth but the guy standing on it weighs 600lbs.

Either way though my ball joints half 1/16" of play in them, im pretty sure they have to go regardless.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:09 AM
JK Freak

Bils are a great shock,, but any shock can go bad early,, when you get them off,,, if you can easily compress/extend them with your hands, they are bad. If you compress them and they don't return to extended,, they are bad. If you have any doubt, take your used ones into a local shop and compare it to a new shock, but in my experience, they are usually obviously blown.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:41 AM
JK Freak

Bils are a great shock,, but any shock can go bad early,, when you get them off,,, if you can easily compress/extend them with your hands, they are bad. If you compress them and they don't return to extended,, they are bad. If you have any doubt, take your used ones into a local shop and compare it to a new shock, but in my experience, they are usually obviously blown.
They are great, except for the illusion that theyre stainless and every single person i know with them, complains the tubes corrode and look like crap.

Any idea on those ball joints i posted? Seems like a really solid deal from amazon.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:52 AM
JK Freak

I just looked at them. Im no ball joint expert,, but I think you could get those and consider it a $120 gamble. If you loose,, the loss isnt gonna kill you,, and they might very well be better than stock and last you the rest of your ownership. However, for important things like steering components,, I might go with a more well known company. Do a search on this and other Jeep forums to see if there is a reputable # of people who have been satisfied with Alloy USA products.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:55 AM
JK Freak

I just looked at them. Im no ball joint expert,, but I think you could get those and consider it a $120 gamble. If you loose,, the loss isnt gonna kill you,, and they might very well be better than stock and last you the rest of your ownership. However, for important things like steering components,, I might go with a more well known company. Do a search on this and other Jeep forums to see if there is a reputable # of people who have been satisfied with Alloy USA products.
Yea i figure they can't possibly be worse than stock and are nearly the same price as stock...

Quick Reply: VIOLENT shaking if I hit a big bump at highway speeds.